How do some Christians justify belief in evolution?

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are a NUMBER of people on this site who proclaim themselves to be Christians, and yet do not support anything in the Scriptures. They twist and distort certain words inside verses, but they never, NEVER post the entire verses in context. They only try to say that the Bible doesn't mean what it states? They never affirm ANYTHING in the Scriptures. They only attack. Rather than living for God, they seem to live for the joy of coming to a Christian forum and undermining the faith of others by "disproving" the Bible with science. Science doesn't disprove the Bible. Physical laws have no dominence over our God.

My challenge to these people remains the same. "Please demonstrate with actual passages from the Scriptures why you say the things that you do." They never do. They never have. They never can. So as Christians do we sit back and let these people attack our faith and our Scriptures, or do we stand up for the word of God and say, "Prove it?"

Would you teach your children that the Bible is the truth, or that it's "a collection of myths from Bronze age Semites," as one sincere Christian posted? Personally, my God never lied about anything. His book is truth.

Answer to post #21

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like what someone said elsewhere on these forums: "The writers of the bible had no concept of our scientific method, so why should we hold their writings to be a scientific account or to scientific accuracy? They didn't have access to the thinking or knowledge we have now. What was revealed to them and what they understood (rather than the literal truth on everything) is what was recorded." I agree and have paraphrased slightly.

This is not a problem exegetically, theologically, scientifically, nor personally. If your faith is rocked by thinking about the Bible consisting of a different culture perceiving the world, and God, then I'm sorry. I think it's thrilling the things the Hebrew culture has done to lead the thinking of their times.

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quote, There are a NUMBER of people on this site who proclaim themselves to be Christians, and yet do not support anything in the Scriptures. They twist and distort certain words inside verses, but they never, NEVER post the entire verses in context. They only try to say that the Bible doesn't mean what it states? They never affirm ANYTHING in the Scriptures. They only attack. Rather than living for God, they seem to live for the joy of coming to a Christian forum and undermining the faith of others by "disproving" the Bible with science. Science doesn't disprove the Bible. Physical laws have no dominence over our God.

My challenge to these people remains the same. "Please demonstrate with actual passages from the Scriptures why you say the things that you do." They never do. They never have. They never can. So as Christians do we sit back and let these people attack our faith and our Scriptures, or do we stand up for the word of God and say, "Prove it?"

Would you teach your children that the Bible is the truth, or that it's "a collection of myths from Bronze age Semites," as one sincere Christian posted? Personally, my God never lied about anything. His book is truth. Unquote

This needs to be reiterated again, because it is so important with this issue.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So my question to Christians who support evolution is this; How can you possibly support a theory which denies so much of the testimony of your God?

The scriptures never state that animals or creatures don't change.
Check your family picture album if you need any additional data.
Species do change.

So that answers your question. Species evolve/change.
That is why christians believe in "evolution".

Does the theory prove a common origin for all life? No.
Can any theory see into the past accurately? No.

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is fully understood with Holy Spirit filled Christians that species change within there kind, (microevolution) but we do not percieve the worldly fallacies that species change to another kind. (macroevolution).

That's where Christians are able to stay in the protection of God, by understanding the difference, some christians accept the worlds doctrins, that species change to whole new species, and that's why we need to bring them back to the Word of God, that specifically states, that this is not God's creative method.

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Here is a good place to look,

Gen:1:1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Gen:1:21: And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Gen:1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen:2:3: And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Gen:2:4: These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Gen:5:1: This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

Gen:5:2: Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Gen:6:7: And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Deut:4:32: For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it?

Ps:148:5: Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.

Isa:40:26: Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.

Isa:42:5: Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

Isa:43:7: Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Isa:45:12: I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

Isa:45:18: For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Isa:65:17: For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

Ezek:28:13: Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Ezek:28:15: Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Amos:4:13: For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.

Mal:2:10: Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

Mk:10:6: But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Mk:13:19: For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

Rom:1:20: For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Rom:8:22: For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

2Pt:3:4: And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

How is it the scriptures say that God created the angels, , yet when it comes to Humans being created in the image and likeness of God, would He use evolutionary methods!

If this doesn't cause a Christian to come out from among the worlds deceptions, and be seperate unto God, about the origins of everything, than God in His mercy will have to allow them to fall into the worlds delusion, only to rescue them when they finally reach out to His Word and recieve Him back as there Creator, as His Word states that He is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Creationism comes into the NT too, the Lord Jesus and Paul talk about creation, Adam and quote from the book of Genesis. (As jilfe quoted above). It's not just Genesis a TE would be throwing out but much of the NT.

A 'Christian' who claims to believe in evolution I would say has not really considered it properly.

The bible also warns many times against false teachers who will infiltrate the church in the last days. Well, they're here.

God Bless:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like what someone said elsewhere on these forums: "The writers of the bible had no concept of our scientific method, so why should we hold their writings to be a scientific account or to scientific accuracy? They didn't have access to the thinking or knowledge we have now. What was revealed to them and what they understood (rather than the literal truth on everything) is what was recorded." I agree and have paraphrased slightly.

This is not a problem exegetically, theologically, scientifically, nor personally. If your faith is rocked by thinking about the Bible consisting of a different culture perceiving the world, and God, then I'm sorry. I think it's thrilling the things the Hebrew culture has done to lead the thinking of their times.

Genesis tells a story quite different from the ancient pagan creation myths while still not using modern language the way a scientist or a historian uses language. You can see it as a means of introducing monotheism and explaining how God is holy (unlike the pagan myths where the gods were like sinful people only with super powers) and it shows a special role for mankind. I guess you can climb down from those commanding heights and talk about literal 24-hour days and talk about how fossils aren't what they appear to be and get into all sorts of speculations about minor things (I have read on another website where someone is arguing they can "prove" that the last ice age is mentioned in the Bible and somehow this is important). You can make all sorts of speculations about unclear, minor things and claim only people who share the same speculations are orthodox. I don't think that is the best way to do things.

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes He created. Where does the Bible say He didnt change them after He created them?

I said Lord, where should I look in the Bible to answer this question, Imediately, the Holy Spirit said, (Quote),"look into the birth of Jesus, that answers that question, and it also proves I did not use evolution" (Unquote).

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jilfe said:
I said Lord, where should I look in the Bible to answer this question, Imediately, the Holy Spirit said, (Quote),"look into the birth of Jesus, that answers that question, and it also proves I did not use evolution" (Unquote).

How, exactly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jilfe said:
The Lord said, (quote), if God used evolution, than Jesus would not have been born by a virgin, he would have been born with a earthly father as every other human birth.(unquote)

If evolution meant birth, then yes. But Jesus was borne of a woman, so her genes were passed down to Him. So the bloodline symbolizing the sin nature was symbolically not passed on to Him. And evolution does not mean birth.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jilfe said:
Jesus birth was not symbolic, it was fully incarnate, which explains why evolution could never work with God's plan of redemption.

Evolution does not contradict the Incarnation. Nothing in science contradicts it either. It's the philosophies behind the science that does. So obviously, Christians dealing with real science will have premises that allow for God's work.

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Evolution does not contradict the Incarnation. Nothing in science contradicts it either. It's the philosophies behind the science that does. So obviously, Christians dealing with real science will have premises that allow for God's work.

Your thinking in terms of man, your not thinking in terms of the Holy Spirit, you keep on bringing up science in this, God made our redemption possible outside of science.

That's where the miricle of all this is at, Jesus becoming human outside of all science laws that God put in motion.

God created all science, the sinfull fall of Adam, changed every science law, into a cursed law, that'
s why evolution looks so plausible, because the laws of physics are working under the curse, but as Children of God we are redeemed from the curse, and that's why we can now see the creation in its purity before the fall, as the Holy Spirit makes it clear to His children.

Upvote 0