How do I develop discerning of spirits gift?

MistyMisty

Jul 19, 2017
America
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I mentioned in another post, I have experienced a sudden awakening of spiritual gifts since God healed my depression at the beginning of this month.
I have the gift of discerning of spirits, I'm quite sure. I have been seeing angels and demons, and I can feel others' emotions. Yesterday was difficult. A mother lost her 4 yr old daughter and I could feel her overwhelming sorrow. My body was weak. It helped me to know how to pray for her. There was a woman I saw going into a store, and I could feel that she was urgently concerned about something and very upset. Don't know what, but again, I knew how to pray for her.
I have also been seeing visions. I saw the little girl who passed away sitting on God's lap on the throne. She was just snuggling up so lovingly to Him! I couldn't see His face; instead, there was a bright luminescence there. She was so peaceful and content. I heard the Holy Spirit say, "She has her crown."
In addition to seeing demons, I was awakened tonight by one growling in my ear. I awoke suddenly, and my husband thought he had awaken me because he was praying prayers of warfare out loud.

Anyway it is all very cool and strange, and I want to know more about it and how to use it all for the advance of God's kingdom!

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I mentioned in another post, I have experienced a sudden awakening of spiritual gifts since God healed my depression at the beginning of this month.
I have the gift of discerning of spirits, I'm quite sure. I have been seeing angels and demons, and I can feel others' emotions. Yesterday was difficult. A mother lost her 4 yr old daughter and I could feel her overwhelming sorrow. My body was weak. It helped me to know how to pray for her. There was a woman I saw going into a store, and I could feel that she was urgently concerned about something and very upset. Don't know what, but again, I knew how to pray for her.
I have also been seeing visions. I saw the little girl who passed away sitting on God's lap on the throne. She was just snuggling up so lovingly to Him! I couldn't see His face; instead, there was a bright luminescence there. She was so peaceful and content. I heard the Holy Spirit say, "She has her crown."
In addition to seeing demons, I was awakened tonight by one growling in my ear. I awoke suddenly, and my husband thought he had awaken me because he was praying prayers of warfare out loud.

Anyway it is all very cool and strange, and I want to know more about it and how to use it all for the advance of God's kingdom!
I just feel to caution you to not believe every spirit, and do not permit demons to interact with you. Pray to God, open your heart and seek His will for how you might make good use of this new perspective! Also ask for wisdom so that you can triumph in service to Him.

Here is some more food for thought, from a booklet I share:

Adonai Reigns : The Gospel : Holy Spirit
Adonai Reigns : The Gospel : Spiritual Possession

Dear Heavenly Father, I am so thankful that you have raised sister Misty to take charge of her situation in the name of Jesus. I thank you for the supportive people in her life, that her husband is supportive too. I ask Father, that you will lead Misty to information that shows her clearly that she doesn't have to face a struggle with demons, because they have no place in the life of a Christian. I ask that you'll show her where the weakness in her doctrine is that has given them an opportunity to encroach upon that peacefulness and security of living in salvation. I thank you for the changes that you have worked in her already, to redeem her from depression and OCD, and I pray for a swift end to this period of transition where she has been awakened to spirituality, so that she will then gain the reality of Christianity: that we are not to be having any sort of relationship with demons, but that we are to be encouraging the fruits of righteousness and spirit of love in people everywhere we go so that it is The Holy Spirit who reigns. I pray for these hallucinations too Lord, that sister Misty will recognise them as being unhealthy and that she will search your wisdom through the scripture, so she can understand why these manifestations are sent toward her and can act according to your instructions to overcome in that area. We pray for our sister's prevailing salvation, to overcome these advances and all that the enemy could bring upon her, so that she would emerge victorious as Job did, being proven in your view and worthy of the blessings of fully assured faith that she can share with her family and the others she meets. We thank you Lord, for the graceful words and the love in her heart, that she carries forth to pray for and heal those in the world around her, and we ask that you'll keep advancing her faith in that area too, so that she would keep growing in confidence to be the change in the world that the world is crying for. We thank you Lord God, for the blessing that sister Misty brings and for the work you have done in and through her, and for the plans you have to advance the kingdom in that way. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Misty, welcome to the forums. We do need to "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God..." I Joh 4

Some confuse discernment with discerning of spirits. Discerning of spirits is like all of the other manifestations of The Spirit (I Cor 12) in that the information has to come from Yahweh or it's just us. Though we need discernment.

Paul had discerning of spirits in the Acts 16:18 account. What she was saying was the truth but Yahweh revealed to Paul what spirit was behind her words. Paul had the right attitude by being against the demonic spirit and grieved for her.

Some think that it's discerning of demonic spirits but an example of discerning of a Godly spirit is when James, Cephas, and John perceived the grace that had been given to Paul (Gal 2).

When it comes to these types of experiences, you're going to see a lot of opposition. Does your church believe in the manifestations of the spiritual gifts? If they do, you might want to talk with the pastor about a spiritual mentor that has this gift. You'll want to check out what they say against Scripture. Also, you said you had been depressed recently, I suggest putting your emphasis on reading Scripture especially healing verses and prayer for now. Proceed cautiously. You might want to keep a journal of what is happening. Research those, if possible, in Scripture.

Anything Yahweh does has a purpose so you'll need to asks Him what it is. In other words, we don't want to assume we already know. Discerning of spirits isn't for gossiping. Encourage you to watch out for pride, also. Please remember to keep your focus on Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, I may be the bad spirit...

I need some hurt and felt...

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not sure if you are still around. Hope all is well. All spiritual gifts are given by God, so first and foremost, to remain in Him is very important, since He is the one who will guide you and lead you to do His will. Secondly, if you are to combat on the front line in a spiritual warfare, your holiness is vital, not only because it is essential for you to be close to God, but also would give your enemies no ground and nothing to accuse you of, especially when you are dealing with them directly. Thirdly, equip yourself with the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. It is the weapon you use against demons.

Here are some links with some tips and information about how to grow and to use your gift, may you continue to grow in God and be a vessel for God's use in His works:

6 Tips For Exercising The Gift Of Discernment In Church Life
8 Ways To Grow Your Gift Of Discernment

If anyone cleanses himself of these things, he will be a vessel for lofty use, dedicated, beneficial to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So turn from youthful desires and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord with purity of heart. (2 Timothy 2:21-22)

draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power. Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all [the] flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:10-17)

• Useful
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Instrument150

Aug 6, 2017
Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

What a warming article to read. If you are seeing Angels and Demons, then you are indeed one of an elect group expressing the rawest form of discernment. How you use it is up to you, or God, or both; I'm not sure, but I use it to find spells in music. As far as getting better at it, I would give the same advice for all spiritual gifts. Find the Bible verses that apply to it, study them, memorize them ... see how many meanings you can find in it. Meditate on the things you discover. Keep looking for a way to use it that makes you happy....

What you are experiencing with the woman at the store isn't so much a spiritual "gift" as it is a spiritual "trait" that God chose to express through you. Empathy.

Empathy + Discernment = ?

Depends how many other variables there are for your equation. What else is there to you?

I don't think you are having visions. I think you love both God and that little girl, and have a vivid imagination. If demons are waking you up, Satan is attempting to feel you with fear to slow you down and or manipulate your gifts to his own end. Do not allow this to continue to happen. You MUST not allow these spirits in your home, especially given your sensitivity.

Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Misty Misty

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition[it a song from the 40s]. When you ask God for a loaf of bread will he give you a stone.
Unfortunately some people have more faith in being deceived by the devil than faith in God giving you bread and not a stone. I received that gift years ago. I like new gifts. Its fun unwrapping it and see how it works and learning all about it.
Hebrews 5-14
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
Your getting some strong meat here. Your spirit has all the five senses. Seeing demon are usual for a season until all your senses are up and running. After awhile you will just sense them in the spirit. As you grow stronger in the lord they run or hide when they see You. Your gift will have some differences compared with mine or other people. They are tailor made just for us,How sweet is that. The Bible says God laughs at His enemies. I learn t to laugh at them to. They hate that. I like the angles of God.
You know who I am now if you want to chat let me know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Purity Clarity Parkes

Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
✟15,369.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ask Jesus; He knows best.
When I started to see everything in the spiritual side of life, He told me to help people with their problems in His name.
The amount of hurt in the world is immense. Especially in this world’s youths (people my age).
Use His divine blessings to cure these people.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Amen to that Purity! The Lord is our leader and we are his servants. If He is guiding your heart, you cannot go wrong. Thank you for being a blessing to the youth Australia. You are an inspiration and a joy to meet here on Christian Forums :)

Upvote 0

Purity Clarity Parkes

Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
✟15,369.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen to that Purity! The Lord is our leader and we are his servants. If He is guiding your heart, you cannot go wrong. Thank you for being a blessing to the youth Australia. You are an inspiration and a joy to meet here on Christian Forums :)
Why, thank you.
~Purity Clarity Parkes

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say take baby steps. Not giant leaps. By that I mean progress slowly. Both God and the devil can give feelings, and visions. And as a person who can "feel" things myself, it is often hard to discern what is God and what is not. So just be cautious. Pray consistently for clarity, and not to fall into satan's trap.

Upvote 0