✟4,934.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dale,

Good question. If God's only aim were to create a utilitarian world, He may not have created dolphins.

However, God's main goal was to create a world that would bring glory to Himself. Dolphins are an example of the glory of God, because they are majestic creatures in the sense that they live most of their life in water, and yet return again to the air to breathe. This makes for a creature that leaps and bounds through the water AND through the air, and who doesn't enjoy watching dolphins every once and a while?

I think you picked a bad example, but I understand what you're getting at. Why make an animal that is not ideal for survival in its circumstances? Because God is out to make that which brings Him the most glory.

Also, let's not forget that sin has corrupted the world, all of it, and we aren't quite sure how far sin has reached into the animal kingdom in terms of physical changes.

I hope that was lucid!

Oh, it was so lucid I nearly puked.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pats in post #19:
"This arguement against creationism is not an improvement on arguements creationists themselves make..... I mean, "Why would God have ____," arguements are no different from "Goddidit" arguements, are they?

I think not."

Pats in post #28:
"I am suggesting that the OP does not make a better arguement against creationism than creationism makes in favor of itself."

You seem to be saying that no conclusions can be drawn from the natural world. Yet the Bible does draw conclusions from the natural world.

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?

Proverbs 6:6-9 NIV

24 "Four things on earth are small,
yet they are extremely wise:

25 Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;

26 coneys are creatures of little power,
yet they make their home in the crags;

27 locusts have no king,
yet they advance together in ranks;

28 a lizard can be caught with the hand,
yet it is found in kings' palaces.

Proverbs 30: 25-28 NIV

26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

-Matthew 6:26-31 NIV

24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!

Luke 12:24-28

The Bible does teach that we can learn about God's purposes by studying plants and animals in the natural world.

Yes, Dale, I've read the Bible, thank you.

And no, I was not saying "no conclusions" can be drawn from the natural world.

I am saying the Scriptures are religious texts and not science books.

I am also saying that "Why would God do xyz" arguements don't hold water, imho. I mean, let's say I had a child die a horrible death by some one who kidnapped her. Would I be correct if I became atheist because I did not think those things would happen if there was a God? Of course not.

So, this arguement, though not as dramatic, is supposing we can know the mind the God, and we cannot.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,505.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Pats:
"I am saying the Scriptures are religious texts and not science books."

I agree.

Pats:
"So, this arguement, though not as dramatic, is supposing we can know the mind the God, and we cannot."

I am certainly not claiming that we can know God's plan for an individual. You have my sympathy on your loss. I also had a family member who died in very mysterious circumstances.

Those who say that Christians are obligated to believe in a six day creation and also to reject evolution do claim to know the mind of God. They are rejecting a great deal of the evidence that God left for us to find.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pats:
"I am saying the Scriptures are religious texts and not science books."

I agree.

Pats:
"So, this arguement, though not as dramatic, is supposing we can know the mind the God, and we cannot."

I am certainly not claiming that we can know God's plan for an individual. You have my sympathy on your loss. I also had a family member who died in very mysterious circumstances.

Let me clarify, that was hypathetical. I have not had that particular experience, though I have had some painful enough to shake up my faith a bit.

Those who say that Christians are obligated to believe in a six day creation and also to reject evolution do claim to know the mind of God. They are rejecting a great deal of the evidence that God left for us to find.

We agree on that much, Dale. ;)

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,505.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 in post #11:
"Fallen man is not in the image of God, that is why we need to be born again and take on the new nature in Christ."

The statement you make here is contradicted by Scripture.

"A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man." --1 Corinthians 11:7

Upvote 0