New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i used to accept that protestants are part of the Church, albeit imperfectly, and i still do - in my head. In practice, this has NOT worked for me... I am too devout and too Catholic (to them)... IT is THEY who do not accept me as a friend. I lost many friends and even family members when i began to get serious about Catholicism... because i share what i learn w/ them and they do NOT appreciate it... I guess some think i am tyring to be Miss Goody2Shoes or some such nonsense... i have never been more misunderstood in my life... but oh well...its their prob...

anyway... again, it is THEY who do not accept us... Most catholics i know are FAR more accepting of them than vice versa...

hey, they aren't Catholic...

so what do we expect?

a true Catholic knows the love of Christ better than anyone... that is my experience...

In so far as you would consider me to be a protestant, not all of us are your enemies.

I'm far more bias against Baptist's, Non-denominationals, and Charasmatics then I am against those in the Roman Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

truthHurts77

Oct 19, 2011
✟16,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
In so far as you would consider me to be a protestant, not all of us are your enemies.

I'm far more bias against Baptist's, Non-denominationals, and Charasmatics then I am against those in the Roman Catholic Church.

well, then you are a rarity... In my world... different story

you probably weren't raised in an antiCatholic environment???

the Assembly of G people seem very antiCatholic

JW's (although most think they are not Christian)

some Pentecostals are pretty antiCatholic...

and non-denoms...

i have an ex friend who was raised Baptist and he is VERY resistant to anything i say about Catholicism... even when the Catholic position is so clearly in the right about some given issue that a child can see it... weird...

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have Lutheran friends who see the close ties of Lutheran to Catholic that they understand us more than the counter parts of Protestanism.

I can understand this in light of Luther formerly being Catholic and taking the concepts of the Eucharist with him and baptism and marriage and ordinations.
Calvinism aka Presbyterian maintained sacraments too - as did Anglican who was Catholic tho broke off from the Pope.

So the more Traditional type Churches have closer relations than to pentacostals and baptists [Zwigli didnt take the sacraments as they were] - and the many other broken off sects.

AND eventually the possibility of reunification - is possible. I suspect if Lutherans were to close the gap and the Pope opened the doors for their ordinations back into the Church - that others would follow.

But first the big reunification must take place?

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well, then you are a rarity... In my world... different story

you probably weren't raised in an antiCatholic environment???

the Assembly of G people seem very antiCatholic

JW's (although most think they are not Christian)

some Pentecostals are pretty antiCatholic...

and non-denoms...

i have an ex friend who was raised Baptist and he is VERY resistant to anything i say about Catholicism... even when the Catholic position is so clearly in the right about some given issue that a child can see it... weird...

I was baptised Roman Catholic. . . but this was only to appease my grandmother (who was Roman Catholic). My parents arn't Christians in the way that I understand Christianity. I would say they are more "cultural Christians" then anything. Their belief set really more or less matches a diest belief set. I wasn't really raised in any religion.

I went to college at a Lutheran University. At first I didn't care much for the religion, but things happened and it grew on me.

I have Lutheran friends who see the close ties of Lutheran to Catholic that they understand us more than the counter parts of Protestanism.

I can understand this in light of Luther formerly being Catholic and taking the concepts of the Eucharist with him and baptism and marriage and ordinations.
Calvinism aka Presbyterian maintained sacraments too - as did Anglican who was Catholic tho broke off from the Pope.

So the more Traditional type Churches have closer relations than to pentacostals and baptists [Zwigli didnt take the sacraments as they were] - and the many other broken off sects.

AND eventually the possibility of reunification - is possible. I suspect if Lutherans were to close the gap and the Pope opened the doors for their ordinations back into the Church - that others would follow.

But first the big reunification must take place?

In my experience Lutheran's tend to respect Roman Catholics because of the sacramental nature of the church. Our similarities are in fact greater then our differences. And most Lutherans I know are more concerned about the teachings from the protestant circles then those of the Catholic and Orthodox.

But the differences as they stand would be difficult to re-unify. We of course would love to unify with any church that agree's with us on doctrine, however the disagreements on doctrine with the Roman Catholic church would be difficult to bridge.

Ultimatly they come down to the question of the source of authority and doctrine in the church.

Sadly doctrine and theology is not like politics. In politics if you and I agree on 90% of the things, we could form a united political party and agree to disagree about the other 10%. But unfortunutly this is sort of a situation where a complete agreement on doctrine is necessary for both sides for any re-unification is possible. Its something we would like to happen but we also feel as though we can not comprimise any doctrine whatsoever.

But I can tell you that most well informed Lutherans consider Roman Catholic theology (while in our minds erring on some points) to be a far more mature and well thought out theology when compaired to what I would consider the "knee jerk" and often faddish theology of the so called evangelicals.

If confessional Lutheranism ceased to exist you would find me at mass in a RCC church or in an EO church a long long time before you would find me worshipping with a protestant denomination.

Upvote 0