Tampa, Fl
✟15,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't see a recent thread like this so here we go.

How did you meet your spouse?

I was living at my aunt & uncles house and a few days before my 16th birthday my aunt forced me to apply at Wendy’s. I had no intentions to apply there, I just planned on buying a drink and telling her they said "they will call me". That’s when I saw her, she was behind the counter and I knew I had to get to know her. I asked for an application, took it over to a table, and proceeded to write the neatest I have ever wrote in my life. I was given an on the spot interview and was told I could start the following Monday after my 16th birthday. I couldn’t care less about the job or what work they had me doing. I knew I was going to be working with her!

I was placed on the grill making the burgers and other items and she was right beside me at the sandwich station. We were introduced and well after a few weeks, lots of persuading, tones of talking, and just being around each other we became really close “work-friends”. Then one day her ride wasn’t going to show and she would have to walk home through a rougher area of the neighborhood. I decided to cancel my plans for the evening and wait for her (4 hours after my shift) just so I could walk her home. That was one of the best decisions I have ever made. We talked the whole walk home and half way there I gave her my jacket and decided to hold her hand and she held mine too. Right as we were rounding the corner to her house I stopped, spun her toward me, and I kissed her right there in the street. We said our goodbyes; she gave me her number and told me to remember it (due to lack of a pen). So remember it I did, as soon as I walked in the door of my house I called her and asked to make it official, she said she had to think on it; she finally said yes the next day and it’s been history ever since.

There is so much more to it, but I could fill a book with our love; so you get the sweet and condensed version.

Reactions: Autumnleaf

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
DH and I met at church, when I moved to this city. We flirted, we had a sneaky first date I didn't know was a date (it was a group thing), and then we had a real first date where he took me two-stepping in a state park parking lot and made me climb up a mountain in Keds. Saw each other a few more times over the course of two weeks, then he dumped me.

We flirted some more. A lot. Including smooching - the church prayer cottage no less. Then some friends of his pushed me into officially asking me out again. Lasted a week before he dumped me again.

Then I started dating someone else, and then he (DH) finally figured out he wasn't scared of me anymore, that I was the love of his life, etc. Go figure.

This whole time, I'd been crazy about him, until I finally felt that God was saying that was a lost cause, hence the dating someone else. Then DH had his epiphany and proceeded to basically pout. He's Cuban and everything is dramatic with him. Every one of our friends was aware of what was going on, and needless to say, things were awkward because I, the stand-in guy and DH were all in the same group of friends.

Eventually, I woke up and dumped the stand-in. Called up DH and we hung out for a while, in secret. We made it three weeks this time, so decided we had what it took to get married. Technically, I first told him I wanted to get married. He asked me if I knew what I was getting myself into (his family is a little nuts - the drama tendencies are apparently inherited). Anyway, planner I am, I kept asking him if he was serious, and he said yes, so I said, well, we should probably nail down a date because our church was popular for weddings and booked quickly. We had the church and a caterer booked all before DH officially proposed on Labor Day of that year. Given what I've just revealed about my personality, it's no wonder he was scared of me for a while.

We will have been married for 17 years in June. We are much more mature than when we started out. Mostly.

Upvote 0

GMullins

Feb 4, 2014
Tampa, Fl
✟15,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That’s awesome to hear!! My family is a little nuts too (aren't they all??), I had to make sure my wife knew what she was getting into.

Granted our relationship didn’t start out as biblically ideal as we would have wanted it, it is right where it needs to be now. 13 years happily together 11 of those being married. I wouldn’t have it any other way, I know this is where God wants me to be and right where he wants my family.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
We were part of an online discussion forum - not here - and we interacted in the forums. We are in the same field, so we eventually took to private messaging each other. Eventually, he wanted to leave the forums, but he wanted to stay in touch, so he asked for my private email and I gave it to him. We emailed for a few months, and then one email came through where the tone of it totally changed....he suddenly seemed "interested" and the pursuit was on! But it did not take much for me to reciprocate. I did not want to spend years on the internet with some random guy from some random place, so I let him know from the get-go that we needed to meet in person sooner rather than later. He agreed, and I did the safe thing - I got an American disposable cell phone and flew off to Detroit so he would not know where I lived. I met him over the Easter weekend, and it only took a couple of days to really know for sure....he proposed, I accepted, and three months later, he packed up his whole life and we drove to his new life here. We got married three months after he arrived in Canada. What an adventure!

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not the prettiest story. Neither one of us were really believers- cultural christians at best. I was an officer in a fraternity at college. She and her best friend went out partying and drinking one night and had agreed to just have a girl's night together. When her friend met a cute guy and wanted to hook up with him, my wife didn't know where else to go, so she came to my fraternity house only because her brother was in the same fraternity at a different college. We didn't have a party that night but since I was an officer I talked to her, was nice and invited her back when we had a party that weekend. Then I introduced her to another member to get her off my hands.

She came back that weekend and brought her roomate. After a few drinks I decided her roomate had really pretty eyes. I wound up dating her roomate for a while, very casually, and she dated the guy I had introduced her to - but my wife and I became good friends.

Actually starting to date my wife was a bit of a setup I think, because right before homecoming the roomate broke off our homecoming date and my wife hadn't accepted any invites yet. I had to have a date, so I asked her and she said yes. She might deny it, but to this day I think those two girls conspired to make me ask my wife out.

That was almost 30 years ago. Despite the beer and bawdry culture of college that brought us together, we're still very happy as our 25th anniversary approaches. Both found Christ and have changed so much from what we were but only grown closer doing so. I love her.

Upvote 0

bachatagirl

Dec 13, 2011
baltimore md
✟8,502.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
We met here on Christian Fourms! we had so much in common that he asked for my private email...started messaging and texting and eventually calling each other
we developed a strong bond,,,since he was already from my part of the USA ,,he decided to move back down here ,,,we met and 4 months later we married! We both believe it was a set up from God! just meant to be! he is a wonderful considerate man and we love each other with all we have!

Upvote 0

emullins

Mar 23, 2014
Lutz, FL
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We met at work. I was already working there and he came in to put an application in. He is 6 yrs younger than I am and wasn't going to date him because when we met he was only 16 but age is just a number. He acted much older than 16. After we started to talk he told me he wasn't going to put in his application but he saw me working and said he had to meet me and I'm glad he did. After knowing each other for a little whole he stayed hours after his shift was over and told his friends he wasn't going to hang out with them that night because he ended up walking me all the way home. That was the sweetest thing anyone has done for me and to this day we are still together and have been for 13 yrs. I Love You GMullins.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We meet in freshmen orientation class. She was staring at me(this is the lie I tell myself) but when she caught me staring she smiled at me. She was so beautiful and goal oriented I often found myself staring at her trying to muster up the courage to speak to her. Which was kinda rare for me because I was used to being a "playa" but it was always hard for me to approach someone I really was interested in. Which is strange also because I didn't even speak to her yet. Well I was going to a West Indian club at the school and I met a good friend of ours from Trinidad and she was super cool. My wife and her stayed on the same floor in the dorm and they were good friends. I always tell people this the island culture and the Mississippi culture really are very similar. So I just asked her to introduce me to her and we had a wonderful little introduction, I played the bad boy role because that's who I was at the time.....a lost little boy that was smart enough to go to college but lacked the family foundation of love to behave any better then the stereotypical street dude. One day I was in front of her dorm chillin with my boys and smoking weed and drinking....this is before campus security were actual police officers. I saw our mutual friend she advised me to go to the benches on the yard and that My wife was coming down. So me always listening to wise counsel I did just that.

My wife came down I got her phone number and was left on an emotional high. For the first few hours after I planned on remaining the "playa" in the situation. Basically a two to three day period before initial contact. I broke and called her that night and we went on our first date we walked to an ice cream shop. The rest is history.

Ever since then I've always had the biggest soft spot for my wife. She doesn't like smoke I stopped, she doesn't like adult beverages I stopped, she doesn't like fights I stopped, she likes a man in the church I started to go.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We met on ChristianCafe.com :) I was just browsing profiles like I had done countless times before without any luck, and when I came across his profile, I was dumbfounded by how much we had in common. I have very geeky interests like theater and LOTR and historical documentaries. He did, too! I thought, there is no way this man is for real, this is just too good to be true! But I bit the bullet and sent him an email on a whim. He answered immediately and within 24 hours we were sending long, conversational emails several times a day. Every email seemed to reveal more and more compatibility, in ways that were just astounding and jaw-dropping. After just a few days he asked if he could fly 1,500 miles to meet me in person. We courted for a few months, then he packed up his whole life and moved here, and a few months later we were married.

:love:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kimberlystine

Mar 26, 2014
Texas
Visit site
✟15,188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We met at the homeless shelter. He stayed in the men's side of the shelter and I was living under a bridge. He had some addictions but still attended church. He seen me standing around and had a guy call me over after saying I was cute. His friend warned him of my upbringing as his friend knew of me being involved in the occult and part of a satanic cult and I came over and acted all tough..with the what do you want attitude..well, he introduced himself and said he was originally from PA as I am also. He then gave me his phone number and asked me to call him Monday which I never did. Many will know with my upbringing and even though he had a drug addiction he was a Christian so it was still somewhat hard for me to be near him. Well, he decided to look for me and we slowly started just hanging out and talking more and more and eventually moved into our first apartment together. That's where history was made. We met July 2009, had a beautiful daughter Ariela Grace in July 2010, and got married December 2010. We've been together since with ups and downs of course. We now have an apartment and he is currently employed. And we do have a lot in common!

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went out with friends one night when I was in college. I started late for school - I think I was 22, and my girlfriends from home came down. We decided to go and do some dancing. There was a local place that had a ladies night, and he asked me to dance.

What's funny is we went on our first date after that, and I didn't like him. He was bragging on his 'stuff' (car, shoes, etc). Total turnoff for me. My mother - who worked at my college - told me to give it a second try...another date.

lol it went much better, and he never did that 'bragging' thing again! I think he clued in that I wasn't impressed when I had no clue what an Iroc was (his sports car). ^_^

He tells me to this day he couldn't BELIEVE I had no clue about that, because all the other girls were impressed! :D Funny thing is he sold it right after we were married, and has never mentioned wanting to get another one since. (shrugs) I figured he wanted to keep it, but he told me he wanted furniture for our new home MORE! So, in the end I guess he wasn't all that impressed with his 'stuff' either! :cool:

Upvote 0

favoritetoyisjoy

Nov 12, 2004
✟21,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went out with friends one night when I was in college. I started late for school - I think I was 22, and my girlfriends from home came down. We decided to go and do some dancing. There was a local place that had a ladies night, and he asked me to dance.

What's funny is we went on our first date after that, and I didn't like him. He was bragging on his 'stuff' (car, shoes, etc). Total turnoff for me. My mother - who worked at my college - told me to give it a second try...another date.

lol it went much better, and he never did that 'bragging' thing again! I think he clued in that I wasn't impressed when I had no clue what an Iroc was (his sports car). ^_^

He tells me to this day he couldn't BELIEVE I had no clue about that, because all the other girls were impressed! :D Funny thing is he sold it right after we were married, and has never mentioned wanting to get another one since. (shrugs) I figured he wanted to keep it, but he told me he wanted furniture for our new home MORE! So, in the end I guess he wasn't all that impressed with his 'stuff' either! :cool:

Oh my word, you didn't know what an IROC was? I think it was hubby that gave the second chance.:angel:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A mutual friend of ours (who is also a pastor) had spent nearly a year telling me about this pastor friend he wanted me to meet but I was always rebuffing him, telling him I had ZERO desire to be a pastor's wife. In the summer our friend's church burnt down, and after they were finished rebuilding it, they had a rededication service - in the fall, like October IIRC.

I was actually dating a Catholic guy at the time, by the way.

The mutual friend's daughter and my son were singing in the rededication service. And we're Lutheran, so there was a potluck after the service. I saw this guy beeboppin around the food dishes with a "to-go" box. He was definitely cute, from a distance anyway. So I asked our friend who he is. Here is how that conversation went:

Me: Hey, John, who's that guy over by the food?
John: The guy with the doggy bag?
Me: Yeah!
John: Why...ya think he's cute?
Me: Weeeel, yeah, sorta...
John: Sweetie, that's the guy I've been trying to introduce you to!
Me: What are ya waitin' for??

DH-to-be had gorgeous blue eyes up close. It made it very hard to concentrate on anything he said. He gave me directions to his church since I was gonna be in Detroit the next week (with my Catholic boyfriend) but I didn't go there because it was too far away. Didn't really talk to him much, but I remembered that December 6 was his birthday and so I sent him an e-card of a piece of a birthday cake. I had dumped my boyfriend and was pretty much in total depression over it, but a few days later I got this response from DH-to-be:

Dear Beckie - Thank you very much for the birthday cake. Unfortunately I cracked my two front teeth on it. God's blessings, Matt

I know it sounds stupid, but that totally cracked me up, and I realized he had a very similar sense of humor to mine. We started talking fairly regularly and in February of 2004 he met my entire family (and most of my friends, too!) and still thought I was cool. We were engaged by Palm Sunday and married in August of 2004. It hasn't always been sunshine and roses, but he's my rock.

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We were both members of another christian messageboard. I'd joined in the summer, he'd joined just after 9/11. We started talking in a thread late one night in November (he was bored on the graveyard shift at work in Texas; I was procrastinating on a paper as a college freshman in Virginia). I think it was the next day or so we started talking in private messages on the messageboard, moving on to MSN messenger and e-mail about a week later. Fast forward a few months and we suddenly realized we were in love.
June 14, 2002 I moved to Texas. January 9, 2003 we got engaged. July 29, 2004 we got married. How time flies lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, you can't make up love stories this cute!

A teenage boy is forced to apply at Wendy's and his plan is to just go in, buy a drink and pretend? That's hilarious by itself! I love the story too. Haha, your aunt forced you to find love!

And beeboppin around a potluck table with a to-go box? That's hilarious, no wonder you wanted to meet him.

These stories are great. :)

Upvote 0

GMullins

Feb 4, 2014
Tampa, Fl
✟15,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you akmom.. Our story has so many twist and turns it almost seems unreal, but they all lead us to where we are now. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Getting a job at a fast food chain is usually a rough thing to do for a teenager, but needless to I never missed a shift. It's amazing how God puts people in our life at the right time no matter what the location is.

Upvote 0

favoritetoyisjoy

Nov 12, 2004
✟21,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In our freshman year of high school, we had to share our high school with another town because the new consolidated school wasn't quite ready yet. On the first day of school, we were at the top of the stairs watching the kids from the other town come up through. When a girl named "June" appeared, a friend standing beside me nudged me, motioned toward her, and whispered "That's the best one." I kept watching.

Soon, my future wife appeared, and I nudged my friend back and said "No, that one is." It wasn't how she looked (though she looked good), some of the other girls, like June, were "flashier", it was the way she looked, her quality and character showed through. And yes, I had seen that same "look" in my mother. And yes, my father was the type to choose quality over flash in all things. Over the next 3-4 months my first impression was confirmed, and we've been together since January of that year, 1970.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love these stories. My story is pretty unusual. Way back in 2004 I met my husband on a Pagan information and networking site called WitchVox. They had member profiles on there. I met some real doozies. The guy who worked at Pizza Hut and was into LARPing. The guy who worked at the video store who claimed he once astrally projected to Detroit to slay a demon possessed spirit cat. The guy who said he kept a fairy garden outside his house. The list of flakes just goes on and on.

Anyway, one day I was browsing profiles and came across my husband's and I noticed we lived in the same town. I think I'd passed his over once before, because of his age (he's 16 years my senior) and because at the time he didn't have a picture. Well, he had uploaded a couple and I just remember thinking he was so good looking. I sent him a sly message, asking him if he knew of any metaphysical shops in the area (I already frequented one, so this was just a ploy).

He wrote me back the next day and asked if we could exchange Yahoo Instant Messenger handles. We did and we started out chatting online. I found out he was divorced, like me. He had a young son, so do I. He only lived four miles down the road and we shopped at the same stores. So I agreed to give him my phone number. When he called and I answered, I nearly hung up on him. He had the most country accent I'd ever heard LOL I mean, he says things like "libary" instead of library. And "over yonder".

We met at Starbucks that weekend. On the 27th of this month it will be ten years. We married June 2, 2006 :)

Upvote 0

Emjay1985

May 21, 2014
New Zealand
✟15,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We met at a christian youth group in 1995. His family had just moved from another town and it was their first time at this youth group. I was introduced to him and his three sisters. His sisters and I became friends and he became friends with my brother.

He started taking interest in me in 2006 but I didn't take an interest until the end of 2007, start of 2008. One day I saw him drive around the corner, we saw each other and we both burst into massive grins :D and I realized in that instant that I more than liked him. We asked each others siblings for their blessings for us to court, because we didn't want it to be weird for anyone. We we're married in 2009 :)

Upvote 0