How did you know that you found the one?

PaulOguns

May 3, 2011
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟7,648.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
sometimes it takes losing or almost losing what you have before you know its value, like the old saying goes "you dont know what you have till its gone" it was when I nearly lost my wife then my girlfriend due to my stupidity and foolishness that I realized what I was loosing, for me I saw that as a sign from heaven as I was totally miserable without her and realized that I couldn't live without her and could never be happy married to anyone else. We got back together and not long after I proposed, she accepted and we have been happy ever since and now have a beautiful daughter and a wonderful marriage (not without its challenges though - but all marriages have their challenges, as long as there is love you'll overcome them.)

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I knew on our very first date. I went to bed, ready to pray about his smoking and drinking, only to realize that he didn't smoke or drink. All my other bf's had had serious flaws that I hated, and this guy didn't. As time went on, it was even more obvious, and I just knew.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I knew he was "the one" shortly after our first date, which lasted over 8 hours :) I did my research on him, and it didn't hurt that he is a fellow Texan :thumbsup: We met in June, got engaged on Christmas (August 25th), and got married six months later on April Fool's Day.

I just knew (aggravating answer I know) that I was going to meet my first boyfriend that summer, and that first boyfriend just happened to be my hubby. I killed two birds with one stone, and I'm so happy that I didn't have to go through a bunch of break-ups to find him. I can't imagine life without him, and I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

Upvote 0
K

kdillerd

My Husband and I met the night before my 23nd birthday. It was love at first sight...he made me laugh soo hard(still does till this day)=] and he was sooo sweet and gentle, but tough and real. He listenend to me and didnt try to do anything with me. We talked for hours in a parked car, looking at the scenery and getting to know eachother...We know all of eachother's secrets, past, hopes, fears, and dreams. He has been the same forever and has never changed who he is. I love him sooo much. We were engaged after 2 weeks of knowing eachother. Weve been together for a year in a half and married for almost 9 months. We have eachother's back and will do anything for one another. I only pray that others get to have the gift that I have. A good man and woman is hard to find. But it is worth the wait and faith. Im living proof of that=]

Upvote 0

singpeace

Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is just no way to tell this story in short form. If it's too long and boring, just pass me over. I wouldn't blame you. Sorry.

I was married to a very violent and abusive man when I began to live for Christ. I read my Bible, went to church 3 X a week, and prayed for my husband's salvation almost every single day. I knew to keep my faith to myself. But the more prayed, the more violent he became until one day God spoke to me very clearly and said, "Get out now. Leave him and do not come back." I felt a sudden panic mixed with the presence of the Holy Spirit, and I got out of there before he came home. I believe God saved my life that day.

On my own, I made up my mind that I was through. I prayed, "Jesus, You are my husband now, and I don't care if I never get married again. It's You and me all the way."

I WAS like Jesus' wife. I talked to him all the time when we were alone; about everything a wife would talk to her husband about. If anyone saw or heard me, they would've thought I was crazy.

I grew in the Word, in knowledge and wisdom, and in faith. I continued going to church, reading and studying. My private time with him became much more precious to me; and I often worshiped on my face. I was so grateful to Him.

After 2-3 years of this, I began to feel the need for human male companionship. I asked God to send me His choice because I still didn't trust myself.

He did. He sent R.

R. and I had been attending this same church all this time; had known each other from 10 years before; but never once recognized each other.

God had put me on R's heart to go and visit 'that blonde girl' (me), but he didn't know why; he assumed that maybe God wanted him to pray with me about something. Suffice it to say, it was all surreal and strange. R. confided in the Pastor who showed him where my house was. So R showed up at my door. (We laugh now about how God worked all this out.)sat in the LR talking for less than 30 min when God told R, "This is your wife." R replied, "O no she isn't." But God repeated, "O yes she is. She's your wife."

R. then recognized who I was and after asking me a couple questions about what my last name had been years before, he exclaimed, "I'm Mary's little brother." Just like that, I recognized him. We KNOW God had kept us from recognizing each other until that moment.

Two days later, I felt VERY odd; like nothing I ever felt in my life before, and I knew it was God. Without thinking about what I was saying, I blurted out, "God, is he going to be my husband?" I don't want to explain how He confirmed it. But I KNEW.

That night, R came over for coffee and told me, "The Holy Spirit told me something about you. He said you're going to be my wife." His face was beet red. I replied, "I know. He told me too."

We've been married nearly 18 years. We laugh a lot. He has never been anything but a man after God's own heart. He has been ordained for more than 15 years, and I love him like there is no tomorrow. He is my best friend.

That's how I knew.

Reactions: Nilla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CKanupp

N00B
May 21, 2011
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How did you know that your spouse was the one for you to marry? What happened? What was different?

I was praying to God one day, asking Him if my boyfriend was 'the one'. He didn't respond with a simple Yes or No. Instead He told me that being with him would be one of the biggest challenges of my life.. but that it was my choice. I responed with, "Then I choose to accept the challenge."

I was never the type of person that needed a man. I always felt like 'if I CAN let someone go, then I SHOULD' (fate will find a way). My boyfriend and I tried to break up a couple of times. But we just couldn't! One of the times he attempted to break up with me, instead of trying to pursuade him with "because I love you", I said "because I know that you love me!" I had no doubts that he loved me.. even then.
Before we got married, we went through a time of seperation.. we were so madly in love that we had to test ourselves to see if anything would change between us if we were apart. Obviously it didn't! We've been married for 6 years now... and I'll never regret accepting that challenge!

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟31,441.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Freshmen year second weak of class she caught me staring at her. Then she asked me wjy I had been staring at her. I would walk witth her anywhere she went at night time and would walk her back. For me the momment she looked at me I felt she was different I just didn't know how....

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our first "date" was an accident. It was her first time at my church and a group of us went out to lunch afterwards. She came along. After everyone else left we stayed behind and kept talking another 4 or so hours. We continued that every week, and they normally lasted for far longer than 4 hours. We became best friends, started to do things together during the week. Our lives started to sort of "mesh" together. No part of our relationship ever felt "forced" or "premature" or anything like that. We met in August of 2009. Just after Christmas we changed to name of our relationship to what some would call "dating". We got engaged in May, and then were married in October 2010.

In short, we saw everything "fit together", and it would have been foolish for us NOT to get married.

Upvote 0

somethingBEAUTIFUL

Feb 25, 2007
Alabama
✟8,532.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Our first "date" was an accident. It was her first time at my church and a group of us went out to lunch afterwards. She came along. After everyone else left we stayed behind and kept talking another 4 or so hours. We continued that every week, and they normally lasted for far longer than 4 hours. We became best friends, started to do things together during the week. Our lives started to sort of "mesh" together. No part of our relationship ever felt "forced" or "premature" or anything like that. We met in August of 2009. Just after Christmas we changed to name of our relationship to what some would call "dating". We got engaged in May, and then were married in October 2010.

In short, we saw everything "fit together", and it would have been foolish for us NOT to get married.

Beautiful story :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums