How did you come up with your childrens names?

fairydust80

May 25, 2007
✟15,201.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am Czech(oslovakian) and my Hubby is Mexican/Spanish and we wanted to reflect that in our childrens name. We didn't want their first names to be too unusual (Something that I have gone through with a first name not too common in Canada!) but also wanted them to be unique. So we picked Isabelle for our first daughter - from the Spanish Isabel, but we liked the spelling with the le at the end. We both loved the name and agreed on it as soon as we realised our baby was a girl. We picked Vaclava as her middle name - it is Czech and after playwright and Czech national hero Vaclav Havel. Sofia Czech and Spanish and we just wanted two middle names and thought it rounded out the name nicely. So our first girl is Isabella Vaclava Sofia. Our second daughter is Katerina Lourdes Zarita. Katerina is Czech and my husband fell in love with the name after my Mum was telling us a story about how she was best friends with a girl named Katerina when they were 9, but after the Prague Spring in 1968, her parents were arrested for Communisty dissent and she never saw Katerina again and has no idea what happened to her. Mum has a picture and she was beautiful. My husband loved the name, so Katerina it was! Lourdes, Spanish and the place of St Bernadette. We liked the name Sarah, but wanted to keep the Czech/Spanish names so we used Zarita, which is kind of the Spanish equivilient to Sarah. Katerina tends to go by Katie (she is still only little though) though which is OK by us, but she will answer to both Katerina and Katie. When she is older, she can decide if she wants to go by Katie, Kat or Katerina. What about you and your children?

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟17,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I loved the name Joshua even before I met and married DH. I loved the promise in Joshua 1:9 about not being afraid because God will be with you. I also wanted a name that would not be easily chopped up into weird nicknames or confused as a girls name. My DS's middle name comes from his fathers first name. Joshua Lark, it goes together well and can be barked out with authority when DS is not listening to mother!!!

I was very upset about being pregnant with DD and told DH that he was responsible for this mess and therefore he had to name her. He chose Kelsie, one of my favorites and Faith as her middle name. DH had just recently come to faith in Jesus and wanted to share that with his precious daughter.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We just chose names we liked for first names - Dylan, Ethan & Wyatt. Their middle names are family names. Dylan's middle name is my husband's first name, Ethan has the same middle name as my dad, brother, and nephew, and Wyatt's is DH's grandmother's maiden name.

Upvote 0

RooMama

FKA AmyR00
Aug 10, 2005
✟17,499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Son #1 - Christopher is my maiden name, Henry is my hubby's middle name, his one grandpa's first name and his other grandpa's middle name.

Son #2 - Phillip is a name I've just always liked, Matthew is my hubby's name.

Daughter - Tessa is the just most beautiful name in the world, Angenette (pronounced like Ann Jeanette) is my hubby's grandma's name.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I named my first daughter alone (single parent at the time) and liked Ilsa but thought it was too "out there" for Texas. Elsa is a nick name for Elizabeth, and I loved the name Ashley... so Elizabeth Ashley whom we call Elsa.

My second daughter was born 10 years after the first with my DH. We (the three of us) debated names for months and could not come up with anything. Elsa and my DH decided (without me) to name her Randi (family name... his given name, his dad's name, his uncle by marriage's name, his cousin's name - you get it) but couldn't decide on a middle name. When I had her and he was holding her in the delivery room he said he wanted to name her Randi Hart after his grandmother (her maiden name is Hart).

So we have Elizabeth Ashley and Randi Hart

Upvote 0

ChristianMama84

Hey, y'all!
Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
Northwest Alabama
✟53,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, both my dad and hubby's dad are of Scottish descent, so we wated a Scottish name that started with "R". I saw Remington and the meaning was "from the hill country of Scotland", we both loved it! His middle name is Andrew, like his daddy, after his great grandfather.

Upvote 0

MyaShane

CUBs fan til I die!
Feb 21, 2007
Illinois - home of the CUBs!
✟18,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
#1 Daughter is Mya Raine - just thought Mya was a beautiful name; not one that could be shortened to something we didn't like. I really love Raine, too!

#2 Daughter is Shane Briana - we had a tough time with coming up with another girl's name and don't like girly sounding names and names that can be broken down a lot. We thought it was a pretty name for a girl. Briana means stubborn and she always has been (even in the womb!) and we love that about her!

Son #2 - Phillip is a name I've just always liked, Matthew is my hubby's name.

Phillip Matthew is my husband's name!

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Emily's name is of no real significance, it was the only one we could agree on^_^ We knew that we wanted MaKenzie as a middle name, but couldn't agree on a first name, so one day my husband suggest Emily..and so now we have an Emily MaKenzie:)

Upvote 0

beverhome

Jul 11, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We had my first sons name picked out for 10 yrs while we believed for him. Robert after his dad's dad and Davis meaning son of David.
#2 was named after my dad as his middle name John and his first name after the angel Michael.
#3 Our girl took nine months to decide and finally on Crystal Rose because it seemed so perfect and fits her.
#4 Really running out of name here and took almost nine months again but choose Daniel from the Bible and James also.
#5 Was about to just point and pick one but again nine months and we chose Christopher Perry and he is mainly called Perry by everyone since Christopher was to big of a name for the little ones.

April

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My husband has always loved the name Asher.
Long before I even met him he wanted to name his son Asher.

Robert is my husbands middle name and the name of his grandfather.

And everyone in my family has double middle names to we came up with Astley.

I got the name Astley from an old friend from high school Jimmy, he told me that it was a name that had been his family for as long as they can trace it back (which is a pretty long way).
But once it had reached his generation no one in his family wanted to use it till Jimmy was born and then his parents kinda thought they "should" use it.
When Jimmy was old enough to understand that the name was dying out he made it his mission to try and get as many people as possible to use it. Ofcorse he was only 13 at the time and I'm sure he's long forgotten about his little mission.
Howevere ever since he told me the story I've loved the name Astley.

so thats how we got Asher Robert Astley
I think it has a nice ring to it.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Isaac (searched through the bible for a name we liked) David (family name)
2) Emily (always loved the name since I was a girl) Lorraine (family name)
3) Adara (character from a book) Ann (family name)
4) Jael (bible name from a story we loved) Abigail (sounded good together)

Upvote 0

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We adopted our son when he was 2 1/2. So he kept his first name. We changed his middle name to Elliott. We found it in a name dictionary that said it means "gift from God". A year later, I met a friend of my son's birth mother and learned how he got his first name. The friend had cared for her nephew for a year when his mother was in Iraq. My son was named after this little boy. As for spelling, I got on a computer and played with fonts to see which spelling of Elliott I liked best in fancy print like we might see on diplomas or wedding invitations. :)

I grew up in a family where everyone had names that couldn't be shortened to nicknames and my grandmother called everyone by their full name--Robert not Bob, for example. My husband's name can't be shortened to a nickname, and my son's name is like that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Primrose

Innocent Bystander
Nov 13, 2004
GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sarah Grace; we knew we loved Gracie for a name. At the time it was still an old fashoined uncommon name. We couldn't agree on a name that went well with Grace as a fn. We both liked Sarah, but Sarah Grace flows better than Grace Sarah, so we wen't with Sarah Grace but she goes by Gracie.

Atticus James; To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book, and I love the character and name Atticus. James is DH's brother's mn. He died before we had kids, and DH wanted to honor his brother.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wrote out this long post with each of my kids' names but realized that it was pretty much the same for each of them. ;)

Basically, they all have "A" first names and "M" middle names. And Except for 3 who have either a first or middle name that's a nod to a relative, we just went through a name dictionary we have, and went back & forth until we agreed. lol

Upvote 0