How did Christ's death change the Jewish traditions?

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When did the Jews stop offering animal sacrifices? Did they repair the curtain in the holy of holies? I know Jews still celebrate Yom Kippur for atonement of their sins, but my Jewish friends seem to be not quite sure why.

With respect to the curtain, no one knows. The Bible doesn't say and it's unlikely a Jew would admit to the event ... or care enough to address it.

With respect to sacrifices, they stopped when the temple was destroyed in AD 70. From a Christian perspective it might seem a clear sign of the end of old covenant. If the means God provided for atonement is gone, how do you now receive forgiveness? Problem is, Jews have an answer for that. It may seem a rationalization to us, but you're unlikely to persuade them.

Then of course, there is a small group of radical Jews who want to seize the temple mount from the Muslims and rebuild the temple. If they ever do, the blood bath will be of tragically epic proportions.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When did the Jews stop offering animal sacrifices? Did they repair the curtain in the holy of holies? I know Jews still celebrate Yom Kippur for atonement of their sins, but my Jewish friends seem to be not quite sure why.
The jews I know have all been creatures of habit but you're hard-pressed to identify very much agreement between any of them. One is atheist, two were agnostic and the rest fit into a diverse range of beliefs. They all gave me rather similar answers though.

"These are our customs and practices." One even outright said "You're supposed to say the prayers. You can offer them to anybody or nobody. I don't think that even matters. What matters is saying the prayers and sticking with our practices."

They don't seem to be especially dogmatic about very many things. Some things but not very many. So based on the ones I know, I'll suggest that they celebrate YK because they always have and I guess they think that means they always should.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With respect to the curtain, no one knows. The Bible doesn't say and it's unlikely a Jew would admit to the event ... or care enough to address it.
I have heard a story that the Jerusalem talmud recorded the incident, but I have yet to find it.

According to the story, each curtain had a life of only 5-10 years before it started falling apart from its own weight so there was always a spare available. As soon as the signs of wear started showing a new one was made; and when it ready (a few months) the current curtain was replaced. On that Yom haBikkurim when the curtain was torn, they had just started on the 2nd spare. So the first spare was immediatly put up. A few hours later, it also was torn from top to bottom. So they hurriedly finished the 2nd spare and put it up a few weeks later. It also was torn in the same way.

So it was torn 3 times.

Upvote 0