How come Saul did not remember the name of David's father?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saul first learned of David, son of Jess when he was looking for a musician in 1 Samuel 16:
18 One of the young men answered, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jess the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him.” 19 Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, “Send me David your son, who is with the sheep.”

In the next chapter, David killed Goliath. Saul could not remember the name of David's father, 1 Samuel 17:
55 Now when Saul saw David going out against the Philistine, he said to Abner the commander of the army, “Abner, whose son is this young man?”​

And Abner said, “By your life, O king, I do not know.”​

Abner did not know either. Before this day, David wasn't important enough for Abner to know his father's name.

56 The king said, “You inquire whose son the youth is.”​

The king insisted to find out.

57 So when David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul with the Philistine’s head in his hand. 58 Saul said to him, “Whose son are you, young man?”​

Saul had forgotten.

And David answered, “I am the son of your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.”​

He just forgot. When he first hired David, Jesse was the father of a musician. Saul didn't think it important to remember the name. Neither did Abner. Now that David had killed Goliath, Saul was impressed. Jesse was the father of a mighty warrior. Saul wanted to know whom David was from. Now, Saul made it a point to remember the name of "Jesse".

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I Samuel 16 and I Samuel 17 do seem to tell different stories about how David came to Saul's court. But I like your harmonization of the stories: Saul is a king, with many many servants, and probably doesn't remember them all unless they do something noteworthy, like giant-slaying.

Reactions: tonychanyt

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saul first learned of David, son of Jess when he was looking for a musician in 1 Samuel 16:
18 One of the young men answered, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jess the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him.” 19 Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, “Send me David your son, who is with the sheep.”

In the next chapter, David killed Goliath. Saul could not remember the name of David's father, 1 Samuel 17:
55 Now when Saul saw David going out against the Philistine, he said to Abner the commander of the army, “Abner, whose son is this young man?”​

And Abner said, “By your life, O king, I do not know.”​

Abner did not know either. Before this day, David wasn't important enough for Abner to know his father's name.

56 The king said, “You inquire whose son the youth is.”​

The king insisted to find out.

57 So when David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul with the Philistine’s head in his hand. 58 Saul said to him, “Whose son are you, young man?”​

Saul had forgotten.

And David answered, “I am the son of your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.”​

He just forgot. When he first hired David, Jesse was the father of a musician. Saul didn't think it important to remember the name. Neither did Abner. Now that David had killed Goliath, Saul was impressed. Jesse was the father of a mighty warrior. Saul wanted to know whom David was from. Now, Saul made it a point to remember the name of "Jesse".
I would guess that Chapters 16 and 17 are two different traditions mashed together.

It's the same reason that the Bible says that Elhanan killed Goliath and not David.

Then there was another battle with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan son of Jaare-oregim, the Bethlehemite, killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
2 Samuel 21:19 NRSV

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian