• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How can the disabled do good works? (Also depression from being so self-centered)

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know "good works" aren't always physical activity, but it's distressing for me when I read Eph 2:8-10 (also John 15:4-6 is bothering me).

Eph 2:8-10 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

John 14:4-6 - "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned."

1. For the Eph verse - I'm on SSI for high functioning autism, bi-polar, and some nerve problems. "works" is ergon in the Greek which is: "
  1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
    1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking
  2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work
I feel like I'm not working. I'm hardly ever around people so how can I do good deeds and love people daily? With the autism stuff it's so hard to even go to the grocery store (I guess I've developed agoraphobia). I can't maintain eye contact at all, it literally scares me and my heart races. How can I do any good works or good deeds? I can read a lot, but that's intake with no output, the reason I was created. I feel like a backsliding monk.

2. The John verse - I get so caught up in trying to fix myself, and all of my problems and the doctors and the medication problems. I've had dwi's after conversion, etc.. I'll go through a depression and do nothing but watch tv for 3-6 months. I get obsessed with even Christianity and read all day but I doubt my salvation after it's confirmed over and over (I believe and hope so anyway, I don't see any doubt that Christ is the Son of God). But I wonder do I really desire to obey Him or do I try and please Him so I won't be punished. If I love Him I will obey Him. I believe strongly I have saving faith given to me by God, so why has it been 17 years after conversion and I keep ending up at step one looking back at disasters in life. I'm not drinking now, but every year I haven't gone 6 months without getting drunk to try and stop symptoms because medications either don't work, or they slowly stop working. I sold my car so I wouldn't have the temptation to drive to the store, I live with my parents and have no friends. I even lived with some strong sinners for a few years recently and didn't do well there, drank all day every day to get through the days.

I feel like I don't want to be cut off from Christ because I'm scared of hell. If I loved Him wouldn't I be doing better? Why is my love so weak after 15+ years? I keep going through these bi-polar cycles where I have 1/4th the year good, then the rest I'm either neutral/lazy or doing stupid things when drunk (I've been getting help for the alcohol, I'd rather not talk specifically about that, I just wanted to give a main example of my bad works.

So I do more bad works than good, so I'm abiding in Christ 1/4th of the year? And I help no one? When I drank I would send mean and crazy emails to people and wake up not remembering.

I don't want false confidence. I want Christ to work in my life. What is stopping this from happening? How can I abide in Him 365 days a year with the bi-polar and the medications being problems.

My flesh seems to take over and my spirit goes to sleep over half the year and I wake up like I am not terrified. Looking at the love of Christ, any speckle of love for Him is hard to see. If I'm going to hell and I can't do anything for anyone else then I'd rather die now. I don't enjoy this life. I don't want anything from it. I don't want to go to hell either. I do want to be in Heaven. But maybe that's because I am scared of suffering. And it's rough when it's just too hard to go to church and I feel like maybe God is locking me out because I'm rotten and infected and will just hurt others like I always do.

Any thoughts/prayers appreciated.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know "good works" aren't always physical activity, but it's distressing for me when I read Eph 2:8-10 (also John 15:4-6 is bothering me).
How we are while we do something is important . . . to be the way God's love has us being kind and personal and caring > and how to be pleasing to our Father while we do things with Him >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

So, pleasing God is not only about what we do or how much or how much money we give to ministry and needy people, but how we are gentle and quiet in love is important :)

So, we all, I would say, need to wake up to Jesus more in His love. We all need more correction, curing of our character to be gentle and quiet in love so all we do is in His love >

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)

So, if this is not you, now you can feel for others who have problems >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

I can use my own sin problems to help me to understand and feel for others who have problems. But, "of course", seek God's correction > Hebrews 12:6-11.

You gave this quote of Ephesians 2:10 >
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
So, it is God's doing . . . how we become and then what He has us doing in His love and peace and joy . . . with "rest for your souls" > so it is not about how we try and cry and fry, but Jesus has hope for any of us who are suffering and burdened and discouraged >

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

So, if things seem so impossible, this is because it is impossible without God. But Jesus Himself has hope for any and "all" > no matter what we may have for a problem and it is so scary and we are afraid of it and ashamed of it . . . Jesus can win against it. Jesus beat Satan while Jesus was dead, even. So, we are guaranteed in Jesus:)
I'm on SSI for high functioning autism, bi-polar, and some nerve problems.
Yes, things that can act like they are impossible to handle.
I'm hardly ever around people so how can I do good deeds and love people daily?
prayer

In prayer I can get correction; and in prayer I can get His love's preparation, then God can make the way for who He wants me to share
with and help. It is impossible, without God.
With the autism stuff it's so hard to even go to the grocery store (I guess I've developed agoraphobia). I can't maintain eye contact at all, it literally scares me and my heart races. How can I do any good works or good deeds? I can read a lot, but that's intake with no output, the reason I was created. I feel like a backsliding monk.
We give this to you, God, "casting all your care upon
Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

2. The John verse - I get so caught up in trying to fix myself, and all of my problems and the doctors and the medication problems. I've had dwi's after conversion, etc.. I'll go through a depression and do nothing but watch tv for 3-6 months.
So, you can see this is not good for you? This is good, to at least be able to see this. But have hope :)
I get obsessed with even Christianity and read all day but I doubt my salvation after it's confirmed over and over (I believe and hope so anyway, I don't see any doubt that Christ is the Son of God).
Confirmation is not only verses, but how God changes us > 1 John 4:17-18.
But I wonder do I really desire to obey Him or do I try and please Him so I won't be punished.
So, you understand this is an issue? Good, I would say > we need to realize that our reason for obeying God needs to be because we desire to please Him. But pleasing our Father has to do with how Jesus on the cross was "a sweet-smelling aroma" (Ephesians 5:2) while suffering like that and making that sacrifice. So, I consider that we all have not been sweet-smelling in all we do. But in God's curing of our nature, we become more and more fragrant like Jesus :)

So, God is not the one yelling hell hell hell at you > even while Jesus was suffering "He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously," Peter says in 1 Peter 2:21-25.
If I love Him I will obey Him.
Yes . . . but obeying Him includes submitting to Him and how He personally rules you in His own peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, have we all constantly been obeying how You, God our Father, rule each of us in Your own peace? ?

I'm not drinking now, but every year I haven't gone 6 months without getting drunk to try and stop symptoms because medications either don't work, or they slowly stop working.
My opinion is that we humans in sinning are trying to use pleasures and drugs and drinking and even our stinking about things, to try to keep us from feeling that awful mess of sin deep down inside of us. But physical things and our self punishing can not make the deep problem go away. For just one example, people can do various very silly and even obviously hurting things, in order to keep from feeling bored. But no amount of pleasure or physical chemicals can cure our nature. Only God can give the "increase" that we need :) > 1 Corinthians 3:6-7. So, may be you need moreso not to "only" go to the Bible to see if you have confirmation of your salvation, but pray and read and appreciate who God is and how He is able.

I feel like I don't want to be cut off from Christ because I'm scared of hell.
1 John 4:18

If I loved Him wouldn't I be doing better? Why is my love so weak after 15+ years?
Trust Jesus to be your Judge, now, about all He wants to do with you. Honor Him as the One to evaluate you and do all He pleases.
I keep going through these bi-polar cycles where I have 1/4th the year good, then the rest I'm either neutral/lazy or doing stupid things when drunk (I've been getting help for the alcohol, I'd rather not talk specifically about that, I just wanted to give a main example of my bad works.
oh yes . . . the things that are so impossible . . . for us humans and for psychiatrists who are human, too.

However, wmc :) God does want loving; so God does include us in helping each other. A professional person can help you, but pray for how God has you benefit. And you love any professional who you see; because Jesus wants us to love any and all people, and all of us need love and help > God is able to have you helping a counselor or psychiatrist, to pray for him or her! No one is above needing help, and God uses any of us, making any of us able to help any person, at all. After going through what we go through, now we can help any person, how God is able to have us succeed at this.

So, God in all this is the One who can do something :)

So I do more bad works than good, so I'm abiding in Christ 1/4th of the year?
Not the quantity of works, but the quality > God is not the one yelling hell at us, but He is smelling :)
And I help no one?
By whose standard of "help"? There is what we call "enabling", which is not helping. There is nice talking without helping to get correction.
When I drank I would send mean and crazy emails to people and wake up not remembering.
So, yes this is wrong and you know this; so this is good that you know.

Also, I understand I am accountable to God for what I do in dreams. During my dreaming, I suspect, I get a sample of how I can still be in my character, and this "worries" me. But I trust God for how He would have me live during dreams. And, possibly, as I grow in Jesus, my basic nature is changing so I am more with it, spiritually and emotionally, during dreams . . . not so much about myself only. My mother died and I was not good with her; but in some dreams I have been with her and we were quiet together, not riff-raffing and chaffing.

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" (in Philippians 2:14-16)

So, God knows it is realistic to expect this of us; because He is able to have us succeeding :) And every one of us has needed the same basic correction so we do this; so you are not some special case who can't!

I don't want false confidence. I want Christ to work in my life.
"to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:19) Our Apostle Paul has prayed this for us, wmc; so we are not on our own, it's not all on us.
What is stopping this from happening?
Our own sin. And if we think we are some special case who has to fail, this can help to stop us; but our selfish motives and desires also "help" to keep us down > 2 Corinthians 6:12.

Also, even while we are loving for God, still we are "members of one another" (Romans 12:5, Ephesians 4:25); so, like how one part of a body can not be healthy and grow stronger without the other parts of the body, we grow with each other; so I consider there are no super-spiritual people above all the rest, in some special calling to be "holy", but we all need each other and grow together as God's family. So, it is good to share with other children of God and help each other. If we cut ourselves off from others . . . by my way of criticizing other or maybe your way of making a project of criticizing yourself . . . this criticizing can help to keep us from getting where we can.

How can I abide in Him 365 days a year with the bi-polar and the medications being problems.
Trust God to make us submissive to Him the way He wants.

My flesh seems to take over and my spirit goes to sleep over half the year and I wake up like I am not terrified. Looking at the love of Christ, any speckle of love for Him is hard to see. If I'm going to hell and I can't do anything for anyone else then I'd rather die now. I don't enjoy this life. I don't want anything from it. I don't want to go to hell either. I do want to be in Heaven. But maybe that's because I am scared of suffering. And it's rough when it's just too hard to go to church and I feel like maybe God is locking me out because I'm rotten and infected and will just hurt others like I always do.
Well, "Love does no harm to a neighbor," we have in Romans 13:10; consider how Jesus so suffered and died on the cross, rather than condemn and hurt anyone.

So it is wrong to hurt people. We need to forgive those who have hurt us and who have brought us up with bad example, and not repeat that stuff and not pass it on.

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?" (1 Peter 3:13)

But, wmc, possibly you are being overly critical of yourself and possibly therefore you have not hurt others how you suppose. But if you have hurt people . . . "the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (in James 1:20)

And if we love people, we do not just use anyone. So, if we are not trying to use people, we can be kinder and more patient and watching what we say >

"swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19).

We can enjoy actually getting to know each person, listen, discover. Possibly, this is "where" you can start finding enjoyment?

"Do not fear anyone; do not fear yourself."

God can win in us :) and make us sweetly fragrant in our victory >

"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place." (2 Corinthians 2:14)

Reactions: wmc1982
Upvote 0

wmc1982

Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you so much for the reply. I'm going to read it all as soon as I can. My mania is starting to come down; it has to be gone before I can focus enough to read, it's really bad. I have to take mass doses of benzos to knock me out to sleep for hours to wake up groggy but I can't stay awake with that level of hyper-mania with paranoia and self hatred and fearing I've been praying to satan instead of God the Father (or should I be praying to Jesus.) Who am I praying to when I talk to "GOD"??? (sorry, I probably already mentioned that, I promise I will read your post carefully, I'm having convultions and eyes are blurry, now worrying I have the beginnings of Parkinsons so I have to go back to the doctor. Getting all the starting symptoms... At least with Parkinsons people will understand. People at church tell me I don't have anything wrong with me.

Another thing that is part of loving others is that I never am in contact with others. And when I am I turn mute. It's even hard to be in online forums because I get manic and say stupid things when I'm manic and embarrass myself and hurt people's feelings which make me hate myself even more.

How can a person who's insane help others? It's like how can a mean drunk (who backslid for a night lets say) who's a Christian help others?

I'm so messed up in my brain I just randomly sent the NSA 10 manic emails saying things that could get me put in prison. I mean it's to the point my parents think they should take my computer away.

I'm locked up in an attic right now. We have handcuffs for if I get too manic and think people are either after me, or that demons are tricking me, or that I'm going to hell and don't love Jesus like I see others do much more than me.

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(I'm no danger to anyone btw, I only leave the attic to use the restroom in my parents house on the same property. I cancelled facebook a while back and haven't posted on here much for years, and can't go to church (which KILLS ME inside). I just have to get some Christian advice. I hate myself so much for turning my back on God. 17 years after conversion and I'm WORSE, how can that be possible!???

Yes, I know to not focus on the past and turn and look at Christ but for the sake of argument......ok I'll stop that sentence; David did commit murder and adultry, but he didn't remain in that sort of sin for decades right? He killed once. I've never hurt anyone physically, I've been molested and beaten up my entire childhood until age 16 when I found that bad people would protect me if I gave them rides in my car. But that got me into the world of drugs and those drugs helped my symptoms. That's all over now, but I have to live with what I've done AFTER conversion.

I'm so manic, I can't do anything but type crazy things, I don't know what to do, I've taken 5 days worth of my benzo (doc said extra is ok for panic attacks and I take a low dose daily so it's not much at all).

I'm so messed up. I don't want to die, I just want this all to stop. I want to love Jesus and I know how but I keep turning from Him giving up the life preserver thinking I can wade in the deep shark infested water alone after a while, forgetting the dangers over time.

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
You aren't the only one.

Depression is not a sin. I'm depressed a lot. The problem stems from giving in and then, worse, giving up. However, because I'm IN Christ, who never gave in to His depression, I can say, that I can refuse to follow my flesh's depression and get out of bed, do my job, mow the lawn, paint the ceiling, etc. I then do it.

Yes. Christ was depressed. He certainly wasn't happy on the cross and before that, His flesh greatly feared. But He didn't follow His flesh.

Rule 1. Don't follow your flesh, but through trusting in Christ in you, follow the Spirit.
This is a learning process! You don't have to follow your flesh, but when you do, try to figure out what to do next time. In the present, confess your sins and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses you. Get up and walk again.

----

If you look at Paul, you'll see someone who probably had a number of health problems and at one point in 2 Corinthians sounds like he admits to being depressed. But in the next breath, he says, "but not disheartened." He very much wanted people to grow more mature so that they, too, could do this.

Rule 2. Have patience and grow as you abide IN Christ.
This is a learning process! You probably won't see anything immediately, but as you abide in Him others will. That is almost a constant: that others see changes long before you do.

----

One of the most important things you can do is to listen to other Christians and encourage them lovingly. To do that, you need to read Scripture and understand it. You will also need to spend time with HIm. This takes time (see Rule 2), but just learning to listen and ask questions so that the person knows someone cares (not feels care, but choses to care!). This will be difficult for you in the beginning but, as you grow IN Christ, you will become more loving in this way. Again, you will be the last to know.

Rule 3. Learn to relate with other Christians.

----

My flesh has insisted that I have never became a Christian or that I lost my salvation for years. It still is bothersome. But I can also focus on the future with Christ, and all that is noble and good. That helps. A lot of things, including news, are depressing. A steady diet of gloom and doom will make your flesh more depressed. You might need to cut out some of what you watch/read. Gardening could be a simple way to focus your mind on good things.

Rule 4. Focus on the good; not the gloom.

----

Medical science is constantly learning more about your condition(s). I hope your doctor(s) is alert to the new research -- especially how much your own thinking can affect your depression.

Abide in Christ, where all the blessings are!

And don't give up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tammylouise

Jul 31, 2013
UK
✟7,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have any advice on how to serve God while you are ill. I'm struggling with the same issue myself, as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and spend most of my time in bed (and have also been through times of depression in the past). But I just wanted to say that your Parkinson-like symptoms could be side effects of your medication. Some medications for bipolar disorder can have side effects that are similar to the symptoms of Parkinsons. Definitely mention the symptoms to you doctor, but don't panic about them.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, wmc :) The others, here, are sharing good things. And yes, prayer for you, giving you to God who is able :oldthumbsup:
fearing I've been praying to satan instead of God the Father (or should I be praying to Jesus.)
Jesus Himself prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." > in Luke 23:34. So, Jesus cares about you more than you care about yourself.

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" (Matthew 11:28-30) So, "all" of us qualify for the welfare of God's mercy!
I promise I will read your post carefully,
Take your time, and please understand that I am not criticizing you, but offering what goes for all of us; all of us can have deep problems and be discouraged; but love "hopes all things" > in 1 Corinthians 13:7 > there are plenty of things in us which can seem so impossible, but God is able.
I'm having convultions and eyes are blurry,
. . . and other things you have shared. And we have people reading, here, who may not write, but they are praying for you, because they know prayer works.

Also, we have the Holy Spirit praying for us, wmc >

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Romans 8:26)

Another thing that is part of loving others is that I never am in contact with others. And when I am I turn mute.
God can work in "mysterious ways", wmc :) If we are afraid to do something, it can be because God does not want to make us unafraid so we do it . . . or at least for that time. He may see we are not ready and not right for it; so He lets us be stopped. However >

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

So, yes with fear can come our personality torments.

But you can use your "mute" time to learn to listen ! ! !

"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:19-20)

But most of all listen to God.

It's even hard to be in online forums because I get manic and say stupid things when I'm manic and embarrass myself and hurt people's feelings which make me hate myself even more.
And we have hope for you, in prayer. Speaking for myself, I have had plenty of nasty awful stuff in me, but in moments God has taken away perverted stuff, depression with suicidal stuff, raging nasty anger, and paranoia. But I need correction in my nature so I am not so available to being messed-with by that stuff > it is fine for God to take it away, but I need to get real in love, so that more and more strength of God's love keeps wrong stuff from even getting started to effect me.

How can a person who's insane help others? It's like how can a mean drunk (who backslid for a night lets say) who's a Christian help others?
I would say you have shared some sane things, here. And these things can now help us :)

I'm locked up in an attic right now. We have handcuffs for if I get too manic and think people are either after me, or that demons are tricking me, or that I'm going to hell and don't love Jesus like I see others do much more than me.
Any of us can be locked up in our negative thinking and ways of seeing things. For only one example, there are people who hate rain which is God's blessing so we can have life on this planet. And their dismal way of feeling about rain can doom them to having a lousy time, for the rest of their lives, whenever it is raining . . . unless they get wise to this. So, any of us can hurt ourselves, by seeing things the wrong way.

For one general example, ones of us have been molested and bullied; but there always have been the kind people. We might be told how cruel and murderous people were hurt while they were kids; but I would "think" they also had people who were good to them. So, why then did they act on the hurts by becoming hurtful, themselves? Why didn't they go with the example of those who were kind and nice to them? I would say we all have had good example people, and we could have chosen to go with good example, instead of letting evil people have power over us to decide.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)

We could ask, why do people act evil and suffer because of the wrong people, if they could be compassionate and kind like the ones who have been nice to us? This is our own doing. I reacted to bad things, by not trusting people and by being a bully. But always I had the good examples; why didn't I go with how good examples showed me how to love ? ? I needed God.

But the caring ones can be humble enough to pray and may not or can not do much to control ones who mess with us. And we can be seeking ones who are active and beautiful and charming, and so we can find the humble and quiet ones to be boring. So, yes it is important to share with mature and senior Christians and not only seek ones we can use for things we want.

when I found that bad people would protect me if I gave them rides in my car. But that got me into the world of drugs and those drugs helped my symptoms.
This can be a helpful lesson for all of us > we need to trust people who are of God, but these will correct us and be a good example for us, requiring that we become compassionate and not use people; so, in order to share with really right people, it is required that we get real with God so we can benefit from these example people.

Upvote 0

beaverpond

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
✟8,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have battled any things in my life and the constant since I was a teen is epilepsy and all those seizures. I was always thought for the longest time, mind over matter, I don't need these meds. Boy was I ever wrong. I lost my license for six months here, a year there, five years there, and the list goes on. I even skipped does sometimes on purpose and other times by accident.

Finally it came to be after talking with a Pastor that he convinced me that God works through doctors and it worth my time to listen to them. So eventually I did, not right away mind you, but eventually. It was when I had a seizure and nobody was home and I tried to call for help, I smashed my head on the counter gashing my head open spilling blood everywhere, 911 had to trace the call and this left my neighbor and a friend of the family having to clean up the blood. Fortunately the family friend knew where my family and called them. I was in the hospital for awhile after that. This was my eye opening moment.

I spent several years battling depression, but working with kids and my sense of humor is what kept me going. However, I was watched very closely when working with kids. People quickly realized I was actually much happier working with kids than anything. Over the years I worked at summer camps, youth programs, spent time as a substitute teacher, and the list went on. Eventually I went on to college and got my degree in business administration and then spent 20+ years in retail as to which 15 years of it was in management until my seizures became so out of control that I could no longer continue working.

So I slipped back into a depression again and eventually went through a medical procedure to see if it would help me with the seizures. This brought me closer to God as I did not have much else to do and I also went on SSI during this time. After about five years I finally reached a period of being seizure free for awhile. I was regularly attending church in a new area and I really like the area and the church. The church did not have any type of youth program or web based technology. Well, one of the jobs taught me all I needed to know about computers and how to use and build websites. So I started praying to God and asking Him if this is something He really wanted me to do. As I waited upon Him, the door kept opening wider and wider for all these things. Two different youth programs and web based technology, not to just work in these areas but to actually be the director of these areas but also be in charge of the budgets for these departments. I also got my license back. I was nervous about this at first because it had been several years since I had driven, but once I got it back I decided I had to have a vehicle I wanted so I got a used pickup with all the toys. Certainly not new, but it had low miles.

Bottom line is this. I went through a lot of ups and downs medically. Spent time not listening to God and now I do. I stopped going to church for awhile and now I do. I stopped doing things God had given me for gifts, things I really enjoyed doing, and now I am doing them again for His Glory. I guess sometimes you have to see what you were really happy doing at one time and see how to make it happen again as long as it is what God want for you. Spend time in prayer over it. Sometimes the answers come quick and sometimes not so much. I have learned those answers are yes, no, or not now and even not anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wmc1982

Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh I'm so sorry, things have been so hectic I forgot I posted this. I just went through some studies on suffering and it does go along with good deeds.

I shouldn't be throwing out new questions without focusing on your answers which I do REALLY appreciate. I tried to wean off all my meds and my mind has been very manic and sleep depraved. Mood swings, etc. I hope this is God breaking me in a sense to be able to be restored.

Here's the other post since I already posted it. http://www.christianforums.com/threads/how-can-i-suffer-with-christ.7889954/

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So many great answers. I am so blessed God is using you guys to do good works to help me.

I'm reading anything but so many quotes I'm responding in general to everyone.

My prayer life is poor. I do get to the point of desperation and have great prayer times with God, but when I get comfortable and time passes I feel like I can do it on my own. I know that is impossible now. I just can't go a day without God and I'm in fear that I'll have some mood swing and be upset and end up not being in the Word or praying.

I have been told it's good that I do worry about these things; that non-Christians don't usually worry about their sin. I just don't see much sin in others; I know I can't see what's deep inside them, but knowing me and how selfish I am. So many things I just can't put anymore energy into changing anymore. I've been a Christian for years and I used God's name in vain multiple times last week during panic attacks. Sure it was medication issues but it kills me I would not respect God and have no reverent fear.

I do need to soak in prayer. I don't have any peace or comfort when I don't feel God is near. My life is all about fear, guilt, and shame. I need the peace, forgiveness, and renewal only being in Christ can give. I hinder the Spirit in my sin I think. I do feel God is with me working on me, and maybe for Him to build me up, He needs to tear down the junk I've built up in my sinful ego and self pity. I don't act like a child of God, it's so hard for me to accept that. To be adopted by God? Me? I really have a lot of hate toward my self and I don't know if that's towards my flesh or my spirit.

Ok, reading more..

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow guys, all of this is going on a word document on my desktop. I'm glad I'm reading all of this now instead of when it was all posted.

I have to learn how to pray, and not just recite the Lord's prayer but to really talk with Him and know He's there.

I didn't expect many if any responses but know God used all of you in giving me comfort and correction that I needed. I have to learn to pray and listen for God's guidance and to see His love. It's so hard to believe He would love someone like me. I apologize for all the self pity, that's another thing I need to repent from. I haven't hurt people physically or anything. I've just said mean things to people like my mom who's stuck by me for so many years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharlesC

May 29, 2015
✟7,711.00
Faith
Baptist
I always considered volunteer work, a blessing from God. It does not pay anything, but it is rewarding. It comes in many different circumstances - helping a elderly person mow grass, helping at the local food bank, helping someone prepare a meal, volunteering at a hospital.. These are good deeds. We often forget about others in worse shape than we are in. We can never walk in another mans shoes. We must remember, who we truly are. A Christian with one goal in mind. Being there for others, witnessing to them, and leading them to Christ is our man objective. This is good works. Volunteering at church is good works.

Upvote 0

Chrysalis_Me

Jun 7, 2015
England
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Hello my friend, I have signed up just that I can reply to you. I understand that it is difficult to wonder what "works" we are doing when we are unwell. Yet St. Bernadette had a special insight when she said, “You see, my business is to be ill.” (http://www.theotokos.org.uk/pages/articles/bernadette.html) This is such a humble response, as well as one that is filled with faith. You see, God would never ask us to do something that is impossible for us. We are asked to do all that we can to be transformed into the image of Christ. Have you ever considered that by bearing the weight of your own cross, you are able to embark on spiritual work, such as learning to imitate him with patience? And, that your "work" is to perhaps bear this cross? The greatest "work" Jesus did was to face suffering and death, all endured - embraced - because he loved. Perhaps God is asking you to carry your own cross with as much love as you can and to carry it with utter faith in him, because he has called you to glorify him as you, no one else. This is important, because you are not asked to carry out the same works as those who have no disabilities. Perhaps your "business is to be ill".

You might question yourself: How am I working? But the danger can be on emphasising one type of work - a job. I do not work, but I do attend church (Mass), I pray, and there are times when I suffer. These are my works, and what I offer to God. Though I would not have chosen to be as I am - unwell - I have, over time, come to accept that this is what God asks of me.

Possibly, God is asking greater faith of you. I would suggest that you make regular acts of faith - tell God that you trust in him and you trust in his plan to bring you to holiness in the state of life you are in. God calls you to holiness in your life as it is. Each moment, we can be holy.

"But I wonder do I really desire to obey Him or do I try and please Him so I won't be punished...
I feel like I don't want to be cut off from Christ because I'm scared of hell."

Do not worry about this. It deserves no attention. You have a desire for God and that in itself is good.

You are scared of hell, and it sounds like you need spiritual guidance to help you understand that God is good and accepts you. Is there anyone you can go to? Sometimes, we use our own self-critical voice, believing that God sees us how we see ourselves, but this is not so. You need to distinguish your own voice from God’s and to do that, it might help to write down and pray over those parts of scripture that give you most hope and consolation.

If I loved Him wouldn't I be doing better?

You are recognising your need for God and this is a good thing; it shows that you cannot rely on your own resources – you need grace. Give thanks, because by showing you that you need him, God is inviting you to come closer, which you can do through prayer.

I think you want a close relationship with God but don’t know if you can do this in your current life situation. But you can. Each moment, we can be holy.

What are the things you can change? Don’t make too many at once – pick one at a time.

I’d like to recommend a book called The Inner Voice of Love by Henri Nouwen. It might help you.

Perhaps make contact with a local church or look out for retreats which also might help your relationship with God to grow.

If we are doing all we can, God asks no more.

But he wants you to be the best you can be; accept the things you can’t change, and seek to change the things you can – bit by bit. Put anxiety away and know that your journey is a journey into God – union with him – and that he accompanies you, always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 19, 2013
✟15,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can serve people right where you are.
Have you ever thought about pen pals to Christian prisoners? Your participation on this forum is service, if you would like it to be.
Have you ever gone on youtube and searched for "fear guilt condemnation and CHRIST"? It was helpful for me. Condemnation will kill you faster than sin.

Upvote 0

Zandor

Jun 10, 2015
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So many great answers. I am so blessed God is using you guys to do good works to help me.

I'm reading anything but so many quotes I'm responding in general to everyone.

My prayer life is poor. I do get to the point of desperation and have great prayer times with God, but when I get comfortable and time passes I feel like I can do it on my own. I know that is impossible now. I just can't go a day without God and I'm in fear that I'll have some mood swing and be upset and end up not being in the Word or praying.

I have been told it's good that I do worry about these things; that non-Christians don't usually worry about their sin. I just don't see much sin in others; I know I can't see what's deep inside them, but knowing me and how selfish I am. So many things I just can't put anymore energy into changing anymore. I've been a Christian for years and I used God's name in vain multiple times last week during panic attacks. Sure it was medication issues but it kills me I would not respect God and have no reverent fear.

I do need to soak in prayer. I don't have any peace or comfort when I don't feel God is near. My life is all about fear, guilt, and shame. I need the peace, forgiveness, and renewal only being in Christ can give. I hinder the Spirit in my sin I think. I do feel God is with me working on me, and maybe for Him to build me up, He needs to tear down the junk I've built up in my sinful ego and self pity. I don't act like a child of God, it's so hard for me to accept that. To be adopted by God? Me? I really have a lot of hate toward my self and I don't know if that's towards my flesh or my spirit.

Ok, reading more..

Hello!

We will never be "perfect" as Christians, and we will never be without sin. If that was the case, Jesus did not have to die for us. It´s good you are aware of your own sin and repent of it, and there is sin in every single human being! I want to remind you that you are perfect in God´s eyes through the blood of Jesus Christ! He loves you and he does not want you to blame yourself for your sin! Repent? Yes! But continously being ashamed of it? No! The work is already done through Jesus and you are saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9). I saw earlier in this thread you were afraid of going to hell, you should not. Jesus has prepared a place for you already in heaven (John 14:3) and he will come back and take you to be with Him one day. And that promise is irreversible, in God´s eyes you´re already in heaven through your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! I hope you may find peace in His promises for you! You are loved beyond limits and and a strong soldier in Jesus Christ´s army. He knows your struggles and thoughts and He is with you til the very end of days. May God bless you! :)

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Eph 2:8-10 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

John 14:4-6 - "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned."

1. For the Eph verse - I'm on SSI for high functioning autism, bi-polar, and some nerve problems. "works" is ergon in the Greek which is: "
  1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
    1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking
  2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work
I feel like I'm not working. I'm hardly ever around people so how can I do good deeds and love people daily? With the autism stuff it's so hard to even go to the grocery store (I guess I've developed agoraphobia). I can't maintain eye contact at all, it literally scares me and my heart races. How can I do any good works or good deeds? I can read a lot, but that's intake with no output, the reason I was created. I feel like a backsliding monk.

2. The John verse - I get so caught up in trying to fix myself, and all of my problems and the doctors and the medication problems. I've had dwi's after conversion, etc.. I'll go through a depression and do nothing but watch tv for 3-6 months. I get obsessed with even Christianity and read all day but I doubt my salvation after it's confirmed over and over (I believe and hope so anyway, I don't see any doubt that Christ is the Son of God). But I wonder do I really desire to obey Him or do I try and please Him so I won't be punished. If I love Him I will obey Him. I believe strongly I have saving faith given to me by God, so why has it been 17 years after conversion and I keep ending up at step one looking back at disasters in life. I'm not drinking now, but every year I haven't gone 6 months without getting drunk to try and stop symptoms because medications either don't work, or they slowly stop working. I sold my car so I wouldn't have the temptation to drive to the store, I live with my parents and have no friends. I even lived with some strong sinners for a few years recently and didn't do well there, drank all day every day to get through the days.

I feel like I don't want to be cut off from Christ because I'm scared of hell. If I loved Him wouldn't I be doing better? Why is my love so weak after 15+ years? I keep going through these bi-polar cycles where I have 1/4th the year good, then the rest I'm either neutral/lazy or doing stupid things when drunk (I've been getting help for the alcohol, I'd rather not talk specifically about that, I just wanted to give a main example of my bad works.

So I do more bad works than good, so I'm abiding in Christ 1/4th of the year? And I help no one? When I drank I would send mean and crazy emails to people and wake up not remembering.

I don't want false confidence. I want Christ to work in my life. What is stopping this from happening? How can I abide in Him 365 days a year with the bi-polar and the medications being problems.

Hello Friend who wishes to serve the Lord,

Bless you for wanting to have this as a purpose to your life. Good works comes in many forms including physical action but also thru verbal and writing expression . Id encourage you to think of ways you can use your Computer to touch lives such as Forums like this one , Forums that are for people having your particular ailment , acquiring Pen Pals , etc.... Just because you are physically limited doesn't mean you can no longer serve The Lord effectively. Be creative and continue to store up treasure in heaven when Jesus will ask you what you did with what I gave you while on earth .

Upvote 0

Rae46

Dec 28, 2015
Australia
✟16,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Will...I'm not sure if you're still checking this page, but I hope so. I don't have a wonderful answer for you, but felt called to reply, as your post touched on a lot of problems I see in my own life. I have CFS and feel like I'm constantly being reminded of things I cant do, yet are called to. How does God expect me to follow his words, his calling...his 'works', when some days having a shower does me in! It feels like every Sunday the pastor talks about how we are to live the gospel in some way...help others. But what about a sermon for those who need help! We may be the minority, but we're still here! What does the bible say about what we should do? So...I long for the same answers you do. Some days I think I know what God wants of me, but it's so hard to really know. I think that God has called me to minister to my family. My husband is high-functioning autistic, like you. As is my son (8). My daughter (13) has ADD and a few ASD traits as well. I know God has put me here...they need me. They need me to love them and understand them and accept them as they are. And I do love them...I mostly understand them...sometimes I struggle to accept them as they are!
It can be hard to accept when it means we have no money. It can be hard when I have to homeschool our son because school is too terrifying for him. It can be hard to have patience with them when I'm so tired and sore I want to throw up. And I worry constantly that I'm not doing a good enough job with them. That I'm not supporting them enough, that I'm not giving the kids enough of what kids need...time with parents, with friends...time outside, time playing, time exploring. I'm scared that I'm failing them as a Christian mother. I don't pray with them at night or make them read their bibles...mostly because my bed time is before theirs, and I feel AWESOME if I just managed to make them dinner! And yes...I worry that if God has given me my family as a mission field, that I'm definitely failing them, because if I can't see any improvement in my faith walk, how can I expect to see it in them? Sigh.
So...I guess I wanted to tell you...you're not alone. I think that most people would feel like we do...to some extent, anyway. The circumstances would be different, the problems different. But I think that when it all comes down to it...the 'holier' you become, the more you see just how messed up you are. I should feel encouraged that I can feel it...that is God Spirit silently weighing on me. It's his silent whisper saying "I love you, I got you...step out with me. Step towards me."
As long as we don't give up, then I don't think God cares that it takes us a whole year to move a step forward (with perhaps a few steps back before we get there). Time is not the same for our God. And we need to remember that the bible tells us that He is both the author and perfecter of our faith. You are not alone! God himself has a plan for you...he knows when you're gonna struggle, and when you're gonna move forward, and it's exactly on his time frame.
I think...if I could offer any advice, it would be this....if you struggle to read your bible, and you struggle to pray (and you are not unique in those struggles!)...perhaps just make some simple changes (and I realise that changes, even simple ones are NOT easy for those on the spectrum...but they're not impossible). Spend more time 'around' God, and less time in the world. And by that I mean...listen to Christian music, read Christian books. Talk to Christian people (online if need be...we do count!). Let God soak into your life more and more, and you'll find yourself talking to him and spending time with him without really making an effort. He'll just be there. I am often amazed and dismayed at how much the world can push him out. It's not intentional, but it just happens. We spend so much time these days filling our heads. Technology means that even when relaxing, we're imputing something...music, TV, computer. And in general, it's all worldly stuff. And there are times when it's not bad, and we certainly can't hide from it all the time, and we shouldn't. But if you're struggling...bring it all in...make it all about God. It will help.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, wmc:)God bless you:):groupray:
How can the disabled do good works? (Also depression from being so self-centered)
Well . . . I just thought of this > if you are depressed because of being self-centered . . . it is a good work for us to admit that a problem is because of being self-centered, if it is because of this. And we have James 5:16 >

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

So, also it is a good work to confess how we are wrong, but be encouraged that this is a good thing to do and we can help one another with our prayer for each other :)
But what about a sermon for those who need help!
"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." (in 2 Corinthians 12:9) "Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God," (2 Corinthians 3:5) "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) "be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you'" (in Hebrews 13:5) "Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him" (in Psalm 37:7) "'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15) So, Jesus has gone through all the things we go through here on earth, so that now Jesus our Groom can feel for us and minister to us His grace which made Him able to do so well while on this earth. His grace is almighty against any cruel and evil thing which would torment us > "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18) So, this is not what we do, does not depend on us; but this is possible with God > "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God," (Luke 18:27) Jesus has said.

What does the bible say about what we should do?
"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

...I mostly understand them...sometimes I struggle to accept them as they are!
God's ways are "past finding out" > in Romans 11:33 > God has created each of us according to His ways which are "past finding out"; so I would say not to expect to be able to figure anyone out; but simply love each and every person, enjoy caring for each one, and do the good which God makes us able to do to love each and any person, at all.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

I worry constantly that I'm not doing a good enough job with them.
God made you a mother, with His authority as a mother. And I will offer that God will personally communicate with any person who is His authority person, to have that person do what God desires. He is able to make you understand and know what to do . . . though, as I say, His ways are "past finding out" :) Trust Him, and enjoy discovering :)

I worry that if God has given me my family as a mission field, that I'm definitely failing them,
Any human fails. So, if ones are making such a show that they are right and so great . . . they could be fooling themselves. So . . . as ones say . . . do not compare ourselves with anyone else . . . not evaluating ourselves in comparison with how others appear! But do be encouraged by people who are real good examples ! ! ! Because God's examples are samples of how God really does desire to bless all of us who are His children. "And He is the One who is spiritual enough to make this happen."

if I can't see any improvement in my faith walk, how can I expect to see it in them? Sigh.
"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3) I consider that being a good example includes how we receive our Father's correction (Hebrews 12:4-11) and then pass on to others how our Father is correcting us, so they, too, can benefit. And faith, "of course", is not only belief and outward showing and telling, but "faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6).

the 'holier' you become, the more you see just how messed up you are.
It is good to have the right standards, but also to have hope of how God is able to correct and heal and cure us in His love (1 John 4:17). God does no less in us. God is succeeding. And as we become really right, now we have compassion for others who are wrong! :) Because Jesus on the cross had hope for any and all of us; Jesus never gave up on any of His disciples. So, "faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6) has us growing in following this example > Ephesians 5:1-2.

Spend more time 'around' God, and less time in the world.
Very good, Rae :) Thank you :) "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)

Let God soak into your life more and more, and you'll find yourself talking to him and spending time with him without really making an effort.
amen ! ! ! In sin, we have been like sponges drying out (Ephesians 2:1, 2 Timothy 3:13). But now we are receiving the living and loving waters of the Holy Spirit (John 7:37-39, Romans 5:5). And as we soak in Him and His love, we become more and more softly loving and flexible, but not for doing what this world would have us do, but we become more and more submissive to our Heavenly Father . . . as His love softens us and makes us moist and "tenderhearted" (Ephesians 4:31-32, 1 Peter 3:8-9, Colossians 3:15) . . . even all-forgiving (Luke 23:34, Mark 11:25).

But if you're struggling...bring it all in...make it all about God.
Thank you :) We all need too feed on this :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0