How can Christians reconcile the tornado damage in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Munising

If the Christian God is real, why does it sit there and do nothing while populated areas of Oklahoma get devastated by tornadoes? If the Christian God is real, then it either doesn't care enough to keep the tornadoes from causing damage & suffering or it isn't capable of doing anything. There are no other options.

Oklahoma Tornado 2013 Devastates Moore, Kills Dozens (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/05/20/lead-school-hit-in-tornado.cnn.html

How do Christians reconcile this?

Last edited:
M

Munising

Nature & Humanity (hence "natural (which means something)" disaster and "global" warming (affected by people and affecting whole world climate))

Not to mention "tornado alley" consists of the area.
Yes, it's part of nature. It happens in a manner which is consistent with a world in which there is no god. But for Christians who posit a god who is all-loving, all-powerful and all-knowing, how can they reconcile such disasters & suffering occurring - while their god obviously sits there and does nothing?

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly,
praying-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif
for those who were lost, those who are still missing, and all who fear and grieve in the aftermath of this devastation. Amen.

God willing during the reconstruction process, at least in the schools, there will be a change to the blueprints. And basements, fortified to withstand high winds as best as can be done at this time in the construction process, will be added to every school that was devastated by these Tornadoes.

Our little prayer group has discussed this and a few attempt to reconcile it with scripture such as that what is contained in 2 Corinthians 1:1-11.
Others are prone to reminding us, in concert with their own inner voice, that says, as does scripture, all things happen by God's will and according to his planning for his glory.

Then the news comes on updating the subject just as I'm about to get off work and there's this precious big eyed little girl speaking into a reporters microphone that she's leaning into while clutching her little hands together still in fear even though she's safe now, as she says; there were desks on top of us and...

And somehow thinking God planned to devastate Oklahoma as part of his plan, just isn't acceptable right now. Especially when a tornado can put a 2X8 right through a grown man and pin him to the tree in front of the vacant exposed soil where his family use to live before they and the house disappeared in a gust of wind.

Fear not, with this issue I'm certain there are other Christians as well as non-Christians who are struggling with this one. :groupray:

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the Christian God is real, why does it sit there and do nothing while populated areas of Oklahoma get devastated by tornadoes? If the Christian God is real, then it either doesn't care enough to keep the tornadoes from causing damage & suffering or it isn't capable of doing anything. There are no other options.

Oklahoma Tornado 2013 Devastates Moore, Kills Dozens (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

Tornado hits Oklahoma school - CNN.com Video

How do Christians reconcile this?

The Bible message is the same it's always been, repent, because you don't know when you will die. Not a one of them was promised a long life, and neither are you and I. No point in blaming God for their deaths when He neither made nor broke a promise to them concerning when or how they would die. Those who repented and had turned from their sin are with Him and those who didn't are not. It's really that simple.

Luke 13:1-5
There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Munising

Firstly,
praying-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif
for those who were lost, those who are still missing, and all who fear and grieve in the aftermath of this devastation. Amen.

God willing during the reconstruction process, at least in the schools, there will be a change to the blueprints. And basements, fortified to withstand high winds as best as can be done at this time in the construction process, will be added to every school that was devastated by these Tornadoes.

Our little prayer group has discussed this and a few attempt to reconcile it with scripture such as that what is contained in 2 Corinthians 1:1-11.
Others are prone to reminding us, in concert with their own inner voice, that says, as does scripture, all things happen by God's will and according to his planning for his glory.

Then the news comes on updating the subject just as I'm about to get off work and there's this precious big eyed little girl speaking into a reporters microphone that she's leaning into while clutching her little hands together still in fear even though she's safe now, as she says; there were desks on top of us and...

And somehow thinking God planned to devastate Oklahoma as part of his plan, just isn't acceptable right now. Especially when a tornado can put a 2X8 right through a grown man and pin him to the tree in front of the vacant exposed soil where his family use to live before they and the house disappeared in a gust of wind.

Fear not, with this issue I'm certain there are other Christians as well as non-Christians who are struggling with this one. :groupray:
Thanks for your reply. But it does absolutely nothing to reconcile the Christian position.

Upvote 0
M

Munising

The Bible message is the same it's always been, repent, because you don't know when you will die. Not a one of them was promised a long life, and neither are you and I. No point in blaming God for their deaths when He neither made nor broke a promise to them concerning when or how they would die. Those who repented and had turned from their sin are with Him and those who didn't are not. It's really that simple.

Luke 13:1-5
There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”
Thanks for your reply. However, you haven't reconciled anything. I'll make it easy for you:

Which one (or more than one) of these is true?

A) God can't do anything
B) God doesn't know everything
C) God doesn't love everyone

If God exists, then one of those must be true.

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your reply. But it does absolutely nothing to reconcile the Christian position.

Is it possible to? I do realize you are right and yet you ask the Christian to basically say, God did it! And then reconcile the loss of lives explaining why he did it, to satisfy human understanding.

Do we think people who heard or even saw a F4 or F5 mile+ funnel bearing toward them weren't asking God to save them? How many atheists cried out to something they before never believed could hear?

And yet we see in the news updates in body counts to accompany debris that use to be family homes.
Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.
Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.

Someone once told me, in a discussion about scriptures that relate all things God did in devastating the tribes, women, patriarchs, children in those times that he can, because he's God. He created it he can do as he likes with it.

If that is true, I counter now in the contemporary context of this OP query, and people pray to be saved from an F5 Tornado, are they praying for God to save them?
Or are they praying to be saved from God?

:o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,488,272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply. However, you haven't reconciled anything. I'll make it easy for you:

Which one (or more than one) of these is true?

A) God can't do anything

D) God has a purpose for allowing evil to continue until the appropriate time to end it.

Upvote 0
M

Munising

Is it possible to? I do realize you are right and yet you ask the Christian to basically say, God did it! And then reconcile the loss of lives explaining why he did it, to satisfy human understanding.

Do we think people who heard or even saw a F4 or F5 mile+ funnel bearing toward them weren't asking God to save them? How many atheists cried out to something they before never believed could hear?

And yet we see in the news updates in body counts to accompany debris that use to be family homes.
Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.
Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.Goddidit.

Someone once told me, in a discussion about scriptures that relate all things God did in devastating the tribes, women, patriarchs, children in those times that he can, because he's God. He created it he can do as he likes with it.

If that is true, I counter now in the contemporary context of this OP query, and people pray to be saved from an F5 Tornado, are they praying for God to save them?
Or are they praying to be saved from God?

:o
The only way you can reconcile it without claiming your god doesn't really exist is to acknowledge at least one of the following three to be true:

A) God can't do anything

Upvote 0

Dre99

Sep 6, 2012
✟238.00
Faith
Nazarene
God lets stuff happen. He doesn't intervene with every single thing that happens on earth. We have tornadoes, it's part of the weather. If you choose to live in a land with tornadoes that's something you have to prepare for. Those who died in Oklahoma with faith in Jesus are now in glory with Jesus. Those who didn't have Jesus are in hell.

I always find it interesting when people blame God for problems when Satan or even people themselves cause them. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, and Satan be damned for claiming more souls who didn't trust Jesus. But those who went to heaven, praise God they are in his glory now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I actually dont try to reconcile it too much - mostly because there is a lot I dont know about such questions, and also, I dont think its right to try to put it all into some little formula that our church teaches us to say during times like this. The fact remains however, for me, that even while I sit in darkness, the Lord is a light to me. (Micah 7:8) and I know people who have been through that tornado and have lost loved ones who are saying that very thing today. To me, times like this should be for dwelling on sources of strength, and hope for the people who have been through this ordeal.

I could say the same kinds of things about God, if anyone had a reason to question Him like this; I do. You would understand that better if, like me, you had 50% of your body severely burned. God is a source of strength and hope for the toughest times. I know this from personal experience. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Munising

If you molest a child - is that Gods fault? Why?
If he takes away your free will, are you still human?
You're trying to say we should be able to sin, and there should be no consequences because "God is love".
How is a child sinning when an all-loving, all-powerful & all-knowing God sits there and does nothing when a rapist rapes that child?

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only way you can reconcile it without claiming your god doesn't really exist is to acknowledge at least one of the following three to be true:

A) God can't do anything

Must?

God be with you.

Upvote 0
M

Munising

God lets stuff happen. He doesn't intervene with every single thing that happens on earth. We have tornadoes, it's part of the weather. If you choose to live in a land with tornadoes that's something you have to prepare for.
So you are reconciling this by saying God can do anything and knows everything - which means you are in effect saying God doesn't love all of us.

Those who died in Oklahoma with faith in Jesus are now in glory with Jesus. Those who didn't have Jesus are in hell.
How do you know this?

I always find it interesting when people blame God for problems when Satan or even people themselves cause them. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, and Satan be damned for claiming more souls who didn't trust Jesus. But those who went to heaven, praise God they are in his glory now.
How do you know people go to heaven? Where is heaven? Have there been any documented visits by man to heaven? If so, what material, photographs, reports were brought back?

Upvote 0
M

Munising

Must?

God be with you.
Yes, one of those must be true if your god exists.

A) God can't do anything

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.