Dt1213

Feb 23, 2010
United Kingdom
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, but that's not what science claims.

On one of the planets, and this is hardly a spectacular thing, if conditions weren't right we wouldn't exist to comment on the fact.

Jupiter happens to act as a vaccum in space that sucks in meteorites so do most of the planets which if never existed there would be a hell of lot of things hitting our planet, The sun (I know it isnt a planet) happens to be 150KM away. The moon happens to be the right distance.

And accepting contemporary science doesn't change this.

And most of science establishes that things have a beginning.....

It had a beginning but why? because of luck?

And yet people conceive fairly regularly.

And the new people that are born have a life which has a purpose.

And all the other creation myths of all the other religions. They're all equally well-evidenced, i.e. not evidenced in the slightest.

Christianity has the best evidence for being true, in the resurrection of Jesus, nobody dies for somthing they know not be true. wouldnt one of the disciples before being killed said "Ermmm you know the Jesus resurrection thing.. we made it up." But no they stuck with it and were killed.

Upvote 0

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
Christianity has the best evidence for being true, in the resurrection of Jesus, nobody dies for somthing they know not be true. wouldnt one of the disciples before being killed said "Ermmm you know the Jesus resurrection thing.. we made it up." But no they stuck with it and were killed.
Using this logic, Islam must be true then.

Upvote 0

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
No because muslims die for somthing they dont know which is true, they believe its true but they dont know, where as the disciples who claimed to have seen Jesus risen from the dead were killed for it.
The only dinstinction is in your mind. People convince themselves of things all the time.

Upvote 0

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well i doubt many people convince themselves that someone raised from the dead, ate with them then ascended to heaven. I'll be back on tomorrow its late here in England :p
As I said, a distinction only in your mind. It's the stuff of legends and tall tales.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Christianity has the best evidence for being true, in the resurrection of Jesus, nobody dies for somthing they know not be true.
But they do die for something false that they think is true. Christian martyrs don't prove Christianity, any more than Mulsim martyrs prove Islam.

wouldnt one of the disciples before being killed said "Ermmm you know the Jesus resurrection thing.. we made it up." But no they stuck with it and were killed.
Which only proves that they believed what they were dying for, not that it was necessarily true.

Well i doubt many people convince themselves that someone raised from the dead, ate with them then ascended to heaven.
A great many people have convinced themselves of that very thing. Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Jupiter happens to act as a vaccum in space that sucks in meteorites so do most of the planets which if never existed there would be a hell of lot of things hitting our planet

Which there was for the vast majority of its history....

The sun (I know it isnt a planet) happens to be 150KM away. The moon happens to be the right distance.

So what? How does that imply that someone fine-tuned their positions? Why do conditions suitable for our existence require that someone specifically set them in place?

It had a beginning but why? because of luck?

Why does anything that happens causally necessarily require intent or purpose behind it? It's begging the question.

And the new people that are born have a life which has a purpose.

It is hardly miraculous however if it happens that regularly.

In a scientific sense, all creation myths are on a level playing field.

And as for the martyrdom idea, the flaw in that has already been shown here by others. Martyrdom only shows the existence of belief that something is true - not that the belief is actually true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0