How can an Orthodox attend a Catholic Mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
hello everybody!

i was just curious...

i've visited a Roman Catholic Church many-many years ago but didn't really know what i was supposed to do in it. i was pretty young anyway...

if i have the chance i would like to attend a Catholic Mass, for the experience. it must be nice.
is there something i need to pay attention to?

am i allowed to stay in the Mass the whole time?

i know that non-Christians should not stay in the Divine Litourgy when the Nicene Creed is read and afterwards.
i am not sure what's the case for other Christian denominations though...

thank you!

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Hi Annoula,

Welcome to OBOB!

Yes, you are aboslutely welcome (and encouraged) to stay for the whole Mass, no matter what your own personal creed. In fact, the dismissal that you speak of in the Divine Liturgy, I suspect only pertains to those who are in the process of entering full communion with the Church at that time, as that is how we operate in the Catholic Church also. Those folks are "singled out" only so that they can actively discuss and work through the readings for that weekend and things of that sort that will directly prepare them for entry into the Church.

Otherwise, yes, anybody is welcome at any time (and for the duration). There are only two things I can think of that you will "need" to be aware of in the Mass. One is that the only point at which you are going to "have" to do what the rest of the congregation is doing is at the sign of peace when everybody turns to each other and usually shakes hands and says "Peace be with you". I mean, you don't absolutely have to partake in this activity. You'll just feel a little funny if you don't, while everyone eelse around you is doing it and reaching their hand out to you to shake. ;)

The other issue is the reception of holy communion. As for whether or not you'd be able to receive communion (if you wanted to in the first place), I'm pretty sure the answer is no. There are exceptions to the rule (and those exceptions are actually a little more foggy than I formerly realized it seems), but as a general principle, the Catholic Church does not allow Orthodox (or anyone else, so don't feel bad) to receive communion in Catholic churches because our two Churches are not in communion with each other.

Hope this helps?

Peace,

Greg

Upvote 0

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
King of the Nations said:
One is that the only point at which you are going to "have" to do what the rest of the congregation is doing is at the sign of peace when everybody turns to each other and usually shakes hands and says "Peace be with you". I mean, you don't absolutely have to partake in this activity. You'll just feel a little funny if you don't, while everyone eelse around you is doing it and reaching their hand out to you to shake. ;)

oh my dear !!! you do such a thing!!!????

this is very nice!!!

but to be honest i would feel absolutely strange to do it!!

oh well...it's not that bad anyway.... i may give it a try myself!

:D

Upvote 0

NewToLife

Senior Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
London
✟11,839.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I attend Catholic Mass at Westminster cathedral in London often at lunchtime in my break from work, I have never experienced anything but a welcome there. I guess it might vary at a small parish but i seriously doubt it.

For an Orthodox it feels far less odd attending a mass than visitting many protestant churches. On the subject of receiving communion, you will find that Orthodoxy does not permit you to receive in Catholic churches whether or not they would allow you to do so or not.

Upvote 0

eyesofmystery

Jan 3, 2006
Atlantic Canada
Visit site
✟8,237.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I knew a Romanian Orthodox girl who came to Catholic Mass a few times, and she enjoyed it. The only thing she couldn't do was take communion, but instead of just sitting there while everyone else went, she simply went in line but put her arm in a way that let the priest know she wasn't Catholic, so he gave her a blessing instead.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Also, if you find the opportunity, attend a Tridentine Mass - I found it to share many elements with the Divine Liturgy (at least during the High Mass). The Mass that is celebrated in most Catholic parishes of the Roman rite today is the Novus Ordo, which is quite different. But either way, I hope you enjoy yourself. :)

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The other issue is the reception of holy communion. As for whether or not you'd be able to receive communion (if you wanted to in the first place), I'm pretty sure the answer is no. There are exceptions to the rule (and those exceptions are actually a little more foggy than I formerly realized it seems), but as a general principle, the Catholic Church does not allow Orthodox (or anyone else, so don't feel bad) to receive communion in Catholic churches because our two Churches are not in communion with each other.

Actually, according to Catholic Canon Law, members of Orthodox Churches ARE allowed to receive communion at a Catholic mass (as are members of the Polish National Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East). I think that this has something to do with with the Orthodox as technically being considered in a state of schism rather than heresy, but I'm not positive.

That being said, the Orthodox Churches do not permit this according to their rules, and as such, the Catholic Church does not encourage it.

Upvote 0

drpepper101

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,748.00
Faith
Catholic
Technically an Orthodox can receive communion anywhere that the RCC and EOC bishops have agreed to allow members of their respective jurisdictions to take communion in the other Church. The thing is no such agreement exists anywhere. Of course, if I were moments from death I would certainly take communion and last rites from an Orthodox priest if there was only an Orthodox priest at hand.

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Annoula said:
oh my dear !!! you do such a thing!!!????

this is very nice!!!

but to be honest i would feel absolutely strange to do it!!

oh well...it's not that bad anyway.... i may give it a try myself!

:D

You think that's "bad" - Know that in the earlier days of the Church, the sign of peace was usually a kiss of one's neighbor, rather than a handshake. (Thus, some still refer to the sign of peace as the "kiss" of peace even if the only ones kissing each other during this time are typically family members.)

:kiss: :hug: :kiss:

:)

Greg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Z

zhilan

You think that's "bad" - Know that in the earlier days of the Church, the sign of peace was usually a kiss of one's neighbor, rather than a handshake. (Thus, some still refer to the sign of peace as the "kiss" of peace even if the only ones kissing each other during this time are typically family members.)

:)

Greg

They do this in the Orthodox Church. At least at the one I often attend.

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
BillH said:
Actually, according to Catholic Canon Law, members of Orthodox Churches ARE allowed to receive communion at a Catholic mass (as are members of the Polish National Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East). I think that this has something to do with with the Orthodox as technically being considered in a state of schism rather than heresy, but I'm not positive.

:scratch:

Which canon law would that be? I went and looked for where I thought it would be and couldn't find it. Maybe you can track it down for me.

Not a huge big deal, but, as I understand it, the only time the Orthodox would be allowed to commune in a Catholic Church is when in danger of death, or if they find themselves in a situation where they are away form an Orthodox church for an extended period of time and the only Sacraments available to them during this time are Catholic ones.

As I recall the canon is a little on the foggy side. It mentions something about Orthodox being able to receive Catholic sacraments only in a "time of need" or some such thing, but doesn't spell out real clearly what exactly that means.

Anyway.....?

Greg

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Which canon law would that be? I went and looked for where I thought it would be and couldn't find it. Maybe you can track it down for me.

Not a huge big deal, but, as I understand it, the only time the Orthodox would be allowed to commune in a Catholic Church is when in danger of death, or if they find themselves in a situation where they are away form an Orthodox church for an extended period of time and the only Sacraments available to them during this time are Catholic ones.

As I recall the canon is a little on the foggy side. It mentions something about Orthodox being able to receive Catholic sacraments only in a "time of need" or some such thing, but doesn't spell out real clearly what exactly that means.

Anyway.....?

Greg
If you look at the guidelines for receiving communion in any missal at any Catholic church it says that Orthodox are welcome to take communion and the RCC has no objection to their doing so. It also says they are encouraged to respect the laws of their church.

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
zhilan said:
If you look at the guidelines for receiving communion in any missal at any Catholic church it says that Orthodox are welcome to take communion and the RCC has no objection to their doing so.

*King makes a note to take another look at the back of the missal next time he is in church...*

Greg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Z

zhilan

*King makes a note to take another look at the back of the missal next time he is in church...*

Greg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-7]Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Holy Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law (canon 844 § 4). Members of the Orthodox Churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Polish National Catholic Church are urged to respect the discipline of their own Churches. According to Roman Catholic discipline, the Code of Canon Law does not object to the reception of communion by Christians of these Churches (canon 844 § 3).[/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

ok then!

let's kiss everybody!!!!!

:kiss: :kiss:

Upvote 0

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
the Greek Church (in Greece) kisses only after the Xristos Anesti during the Resurrection Litourgy.

oh yes and at the Forgiving day, first Sunday before Lent.
you ask for forgiveness and kiss each other. some members kiss each other's hand showing respect. but this varies, cause if it's a huge parish not everybody is interested or willing to "forgive" everybody. it takes a long time also.

many interesting facts...thanx!

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
zhilan said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-7]Because Catholics believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, members of those churches with whom we are not yet fully united are ordinarily not admitted to Holy Communion. Eucharistic sharing in exceptional circumstances by other Christians requires permission according to the directives of the diocesan bishop and the provisions of canon law (canon 844 § 4). Members of the Orthodox Churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Polish National Catholic Church are urged to respect the discipline of their own Churches. According to Roman Catholic discipline, the Code of Canon Law does not object to the reception of communion by Christians of these Churches (canon 844 § 3).[/SIZE][/FONT]

Exactly, here is the full canon.

Can. 844 ß1 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments only to catholic members of Christ's faithful, who equally may lawfully receive them only from catholic ministers, except as provided in ß2, 3 and 4 of this canon and in can. 861 ß2.

ß2 Whenever necessity requires or a genuine spiritual advantage commends it, and provided the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, Christ's faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a catholic minister, may lawfully receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.

ß3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the same position as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

ß4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgment of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other Christians not in full communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneously ask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed.

ß5 In respect of the cases dealt with in ß2, 3 and 4, the diocesan Bishop or the Episcopal Conference is not to issue general norms except after consultation with the competent authority, at least at the local level, of the non-Catholic Church or community concerned.

Of course although we allow it, the Orthodox church does not allow it's members to partake so it becomes a moot point except in the case of dire need.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.