Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am incurably selfish. Repentance and giving one's life to Christ are selfless acts. How can a selfish person commit a selfless act?

Shalom friend,

I won't lie to you. Selfish people, who remain as such willingly, have no place in thr Kingdom of God.

However, be happy that you have been convicted on this matter now, in this life, whilst you still have time.

If you wish for eternal life, fight your selfishness, if it's stopping you do what you would wish inside. Start but being charitable in a way you have never been, to an extent you have never done, and then don't tell anyone. Keep the matter between you and God alone. That would be a great first step towards a new way of living for Him.

For what good is selfishness, possessions, money and things when we only have tens of years to enjoy them? Riches await in the Kingdom that will make what we value here be laughable.

Therefore do all that you can to enter the Kingdom, for whatever holds you back will surely be seen as an idol to the Father - that is, something you serve first/more.

Do your best my friend! And keep seeking Him until His realness is fully perceivable and not just hazy/distant.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am incurably selfish. Repentance and giving one's life to Christ are selfless acts. How can a selfish person commit a selfless act?

It is as difficult as squeezing a camel through the eye of a needle. Impossible for a selfish person. However, for God everything is possible. You cannot get saved but God will save you if you ask. to quote Steve Brown, "The only people that get better are those that know that if they don't get better God is going to love them anyway." . BTW selfish people often commit selfless acts. If it were not so how would selfless acts ever be committed by human beings. According to the Bible there is no righteous person, not one. We are all selfish to some degree.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 20Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.

Romans 3:10-18 10As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." 13"Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit." "The poison of vipers is on their lips." 14"Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness." 15"Their feet are swift to shed blood; 16ruin and misery mark their ways, 17and the way of peace they do not know." 18"There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
If we are to be honest with ourselves, we are all selfish to some degree.

The only one who lived a totally unselfish life was Jesus and he died on a cross to save selfish people like you and me.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Your profile lists you as Christian. How did you become a Christian?:scratch:

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have long believed the gospel and for ten years have been trying to be saved. But I'm afraid that when push comes to shove, that when the rubber meets the road, when it comes time for the critical choice in my HEART, I always choose self over Christ. Every time. It's automatic. It's instinctive. It's my nature.

I have a book by pastor JD Greear, called "Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart: How To Know For Sure You Are Saved." He writes: "Apart from the Spirit's enlightening work, you'd never choose to forsake all to follow Christ. No matter how many times you were offered the choice, you'd always choose to stay in sin."

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You can start by volunteering to help those in need. You could help out at a local food pantry or homeless shelter or hospital. If not possible, then assist some elderly or disabled neighbor. Hopefully this practice will grow on you and you will eventually no longer be a selfish person.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

These things don't come easy for most.
Some may talk a good game
but, Jesus told us
that we would have many troubles.

Been there got the tshirts
in line for yet another.

Study the word.
Listen to solid sermons.

The blue print for being born again laid out in excellent detail.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

SheWrote

Feb 25, 2019
Redding
✟10,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repentance means to change your heart and mind. When that happens you begin the transformation towards becoming more like Christ. And the great thing about the goodness of God is that He can change ANYONE... even you. I believe we are all selfish to a point, but it is not incurable. The Lord can cure anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am Christian in my head; apparently not in my heart.
Salvation is not hard to receive.It is a gift from God, not of works.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
You have confessed your fault to us. That is step one.
1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

You also stated this:
I have long believed the gospel
That is step two.
Mark1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the Gospel.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Remember, Lord Jesus is the Savior, not you. He will cleanse away your selfishness and any other unrighteousness you may have. :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am Christian in my head; apparently not in my heart.

One thing you can do is forget how you feel and do the next right (i.e. unselfish) thing. Part of being a Christian is paying attention to the circumstances in which we find ourselves and making choices appropriate to what we know in Jesus Christ. Let's assume you see someone in need. Your initial impulse may be to look away or walk around or whatever your selfish inclination may be. Pay no attention to any of that. You are no longer the "lord" of your life. Christ is now your Lord, so do what you know he would have you do. Our feelings are not the measurement by which we gauge our Christian-ness. Obedience is the rule. If you follow by being obedient, in spite of how you feel, you may find that sooner or later the feelings will come. But, whether they do or not it doesn't matter. Just do the next right thing and you'll be good, literally.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0