How can a fundamentalist Christian be a Democrat?

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
jtbdad said:
I hope misreading a post doesn't make someone an idiot. If it did I would not have enough brain function to continue breathing.

fortunately for those of us who suffer the same problem (misreading a post) we don't have to think about breathing - our brain tells our body to do so automatically:thumbsup: - so we can put that worry to rest.

edie

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
theAmishGirl said:
oh my buttons just keep getting pushed in this forum!

Have you ever worked a fast food job? It's hard. And by the way- no I don't work for minimum wage- I got bumped up to 5.50.

And I'm a college student- trying to get my degree... but you know- it's pretty hard to put yourself through college on 5.15 an hour working part time because your in school full time!

Next time you do it- let me know then we'll discuss what is and is not deserved!

(Edited)

I am sorry that your buttons get pushed, it certainly was not my intention.

First let me tell you congratulations on your raise, in fast food they simply do not give money away so I am sure that you deserved it. Well done!

Now concerning my personal experience, I grew up on a household in which my mother worked 2 jobs the entire time I was growing up as my father left her holding a couple hundred thousand dollars of business debt for which she co-signed. I do not remember a single day in which she had not left the house before I got up for school. I looked forward to summer because I could actually stay up until 11;00 pm and actually spend some time with her each day.

I entered the Navy at 17. Unfortunately there was a family tragedy and I had to complete my Naval service as a reservist. Upon returning home I went back to work at the fast food job I had when I left and to school. My senior year of high school I lived on my own, had a 40 hour a week job m-f and worked 2, 12 hour days on Sat-Sun. I worked at this same fast food job for 8 years. During that time I had raises and advances. I left the job making $9 an hour as an hourly manager. I was hit by a drunk driver in 1984 which resulted in an uncontrolled seizure disorder. During this time I married, had 2 children and completed not only my high school education but also went to college. I could go on, however I think I have earned the right to comment on this issue. Do you?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
edb19 said:
fortunately for those of us who suffer the same problem (misreading a post) we don't have to think about breathing - our brain tells our body to do so automatically:thumbsup: - so we can put that worry to rest.

edie

Whew dodged that bullet.

:D

Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
jtbdad said:
(Edited)

I am sorry that your buttons get pushed, it certainly was not my intention.

First let me tell you congratulations on your raise, in fast food they simply do not give money away so I am sure that you deserved it. Well done!

Now concerning my personal experience, I grew up on a household in which my mother worked 2 jobs the entire time I was growing up as my father left her holding a couple hundred thousand dollars of business debt for which she co-signed. I do not remember a single day in which she had not left the house before I got up for school. I looked forward to summer because I could actually stay up until 11;00 pm and actually spend some time with her each day.

I entered the Navy at 17. Unfortunately there was a family tragedy and I had to complete my Naval service as a reservist. Upon returning home I went back to work at the fast food job I had when I left and to school. My senior year of high school I lived on my own, had a 40 hour a week job m-f and worked 2, 12 hour days on Sat-Sun. I worked at this same fast food job for 8 years. During that time I had raises and advances. I left the job making $9 an hour as an hourly manager. I was hit by a drunk driver in 1984 which resulted in an uncontrolled seizure disorder. During this time I married, had 2 children and completed not only my high school education but also went to college. I could go on, however I think I have earned the right to comment on this issue. Do you?

Actually no, as $9.00/hour is already way more than she makes, and was worth even more in the mid and late 80's.

Right?

Not to mention, did you get money from the reserves? Are you aware the increase in college education is not being matched by militar
y educational benefits? And before your time, they were better still.

Imagine what you could have achieved if education was simply made available inexpensively and efficiently. I'm sorry, but much like Cubanito's post, it is disheartening to me to see someone who had to struggle using it as an excuse to spread the misery. You know there's kids who skate through college on Mommy and Daddy's dime, right? Is it supposed to make me feel better about that inequality that you suffered through a hard time when you were young? Because somehow it does not.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Shane Roach said:
Actually no, as $9.00/hour is already way more than she makes, and was worth even more in the mid and late 80's.

Perhaps you missed this part, it was 9.00 per hour after 8 years on the same job. I worked hard earned promotions shouldered more responsibility. Additionally I started at 2.65 per hour which at that time was actually less pay than the current 5.15. (remember minimum wage was lower then than now and it was even lower for minors which I was when I started the job.)

Right?

Not to mention, did you get money from the reserves?

For my weekend drills I was paid less than the 24 hours of work which I had to forfeit. For my two weeks in the summer I was paid less than the minimum wage job I had to leave to complete it.

Are you aware the increase in college education is not being matched by militar
y educational benefits? And before your time, they were better still.

I am well aware of the cost of college as me, my wife, and my oldest son all attend. And reservists at the time I served did not qualify for the educational portion of the GI bill so I did not have that help either.

Imagine what you could have achieved if education was simply made available inexpensively and efficiently.

Actually most people qualify for enough financial aid to go to school. If not, almost everyone can take out student loans. State University's do an excellent job of providing education and are affordable to most people. The income limit for the Pell Grant for example is higher than I have ever made in a year.

I'm sorry, but much like Cubanito's post, it is disheartening to me to see someone who had to struggle using it as an excuse to spread the misery.

How in the world am I spreading misery? I am trying to point out that those who have achieved more normally deserve it due to hard work and sacrifice. If this young lady stays in school I am sure that she will benefit as well. I also seriously doubt that a few years after she graduates that she will feel that fast food workers, though they definitely work hard, deserve the same pay that she will probably be making. The whole point in this post was her implication that I had not experienced the same things that she is experiencing and thus had no experience from which to comment. I was pointing out that I indeed had experienced the whole minimum wage going to school scenario and I was successful in spite of haviing a disability and 3 other mouths to feed. If I can do it then so can almost anyone.

You know there's kids who skate through college on Mommy and Daddy's dime, right? Is it supposed to make me feel better about that inequality that you suffered through a hard time when you were young? Because somehow it does not.

Concerning skating through on their parents dime I can speak as a parent and proudly state that the reason I was motivated to make a better life for myself was to provide a better life for my children and if my children can benefit from my hard work, dilligence, and accomplishments then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

And no I did not provide this information about myself to make anyone feel any particular way. It is simply offered to illustrate that it can be done. I have faced the same adversity that this young woman has faced and I can still state that it is not unjust that some people make 5-6 times more than she.

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
Notably missing from your response was anything regarding, "Imagine what you could have achieved if education was simply made available inexpensively and efficiently." I dislike the concept of a death tax, but I likewise do not favor the attitude that children of irresponsible people need to suffer for their parents actions. In other words, there needs to be some reasonable limit set on how much advantage someone gets from being born into a good family, and the definition of a "good" family needs to be slightly modified such that it includes some concern for people outside the family.

I'm not sure whether minimum wage was lower adjusted for inflation then than now, but it seems unlikely. Your statements about qualifying for financial aid are manifestly false, and many people get into debt to go to school on the loans you mention only to find their economic condition when they get out is not THAT much improved.

All this, and the only real point I have is that a: I don't think you truly had it as hard as she did unless you take the car accident into account, and b: this practice of handing down misery from one generation to the next because that's the way it happened before is simply not good policy.

All THAT, and I still do not vote Democrat....

So, go figure.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Shane Roach said:
Notably missing from your response was anything regarding, "Imagine what you could have achieved if education was simply made available inexpensively and efficiently."

Actually Shane I did address this when I pointed out that a Higher Education is affordable to most with the Public Universities and the Grants, Loans etc that are available. I was only able to pursue my education because it was made inexpensive and available.

I dislike the concept of a death tax, but I likewise do not favor the attitude that children of irresponsible people need to suffer for their parents actions. In other words, there needs to be some reasonable limit set on how much advantage someone gets from being born into a good family, and the definition of a "good" family needs to be slightly modified such that it includes some concern for people outside the family.

I disagree completely. My children have the right both morally and still legally to benefit from my hard work and sacrifice. While I agree we should all support the community at large I owe more to my children than I do to the community at large. I cannot control what others do or do not do, but to deny my children the benefit of my hard work is not the answer to society's ills.

I'm not sure whether minimum wage was lower adjusted for inflation then than now,

If I remember correctly my $2.65 per hour translates to $ 5.43 per hour today.

but it seems unlikely. Your statements about qualifying for financial aid are manifestly false,

Perhaps misworded. Any student who makes minimum wage and is not a dependent will qualify for Pell Grants and most state grant programs. If they are dependents then many loan programs are available. My family grossed over 35 grand last year and both undergrads qualified for Pell Grants.

and many people get into debt to go to school on the loans you mention only to find their economic condition when they get out is not THAT much improved.

What better reason to go into debt than a College Education? I haven't known a young person yet who hesitated to go into debt for a vehicle as soon as they could. Concerning their condition you are right and most of the Student Loan programs have many different repayment options including graduated payments and payments based upon income.

All this, and the only real point I have is that a: I don't think you truly had it as hard as she did unless you take the car accident into account, and b: this practice of handing down misery from one generation to the next because that's the way it happened before is simply not good policy.

And I disagree. My plight would have been much easier without a family and a disability. Concerning handing down misery I obviously disagree completely that, that is what I advocate. What I advocate is hard work and sacrifice.

All THAT, and I still do not vote Democrat....
So, go figure.

I am not sure that they have any real answers to this anyway.

Upvote 0

theAmishGirl

Caution: This product will argue if aggitated!
Jul 22, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
✟8,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well- thanks tho those who have in some minor ways stood up for me in my absence.

"I also seriously doubt that a few years after she graduates that she will feel that fast food workers, though they definitely work hard, deserve the same pay that she will probably be making."

Actually JTB, FYI- I'm getting my degree to do non-profit work, hopefully as a volunteer, so no- I will never tell ANYONE that they deserve less pay than I. Unlike most of this world, I value things other than money. So the issue of pay is not gravely important to me, but it would certainly make things easier when dealing with the part of the world which does follow the monetary trail.

And no, I was in no way implying that you had no right to post on the subject, I was presenting the fact that everyone has things that they need to deal with and making such a meager amount of money doesn't help with the situation. And yes, I understand that you had a hard road to walk, but so do other people and it seems to me that you are unable to deal with the fact that your story is not the saddest of them all. Now frankly, I do not wish to blow my own horn or even discuss in detail the things that I am dealing with, but I assure you they are not much different from your own! Please do keep in mind good sir that there are are many many people in this world who would consider it a grand blessing to have led the life that you have thus far had! DO NOT take for granted those things for which you have had the opportunity to work and NEVER belittle those who may well have a greater trouble than you have ever dreamed! I also find it quiet remarkable that most of the time these very people have managed to stay out of the lake of self pity and/or pride at which you have so obviously set up camp!

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
theAmishGirl said:
Well- thanks tho those who have in some minor ways stood up for me in my absence.

To begin with it is not necessary for anyone to stand up for you, you are not being attacked.

"I also seriously doubt that a few years after she graduates that she will feel that fast food workers, though they definitely work hard, deserve the same pay that she will probably be making."

Actually JTB, FYI- I'm getting my degree to do non-profit work, hopefully as a volunteer, so no- I will never tell ANYONE that they deserve less pay than I.

I applaud you for your desire to serve others. However let me ask you this hypothetically,

Do you feel for instance that a fast food worker deserves the same pay as a paramedic? an accountant? an architect?

These are all positions in which a huge amount of responsibility is shouldered on a daily basis.

Unlike most of this world, I value things other than money.

As do may others who I am sure disagree with you.

So the issue of pay is not gravely important to me, but it would certainly make things easier when dealing with the part of the world which does follow the monetary trail.

I believe it was you who complained in the first place that there are people who make 5-6 times more than you.

And no, I was in no way implying that you had no right to post on the subject,

Actually that is exactly what you imply in the following post.;

oh my buttons just keep getting pushed in this forum!

Have you ever worked a fast food job? It's hard. And by the way- no I don't work for minimum wage- I got bumped up to 5.50.

And I'm a college student- trying to get my degree... but you know- it's pretty hard to put yourself through college on 5.15 an hour working part time because your in school full time!

Next time you do it- let me know then we'll discuss what is and is not deserved! 31st July 2006 08:36 PM

I was presenting the fact that everyone has things that they need to deal with and making such a meager amount of money doesn't help with the situation.

And forcing a raise in minimum wage or paying more than a job is worth will result in less jobs. If you think school is tough with a part-time minimum wage job I bet it is harder still without having one at all.

And yes, I understand that you had a hard road to walk, but so do other people and it seems to me that you are unable to deal with the fact that your story is not the saddest of them all.

How do you figure that? I minister to people on a regular basis that have it much more difficult than I . I am not bitter that I had it difficult I am grateful that I was in spite of my difficulties living in a country where an education was affordable and available.

Now frankly, I do not wish to blow my own horn or even discuss in detail the things that I am dealing with, but I assure you they are not much different from your own! Please do keep in mind good sir that there are are many many people in this world who would consider it a grand blessing to have led the life that you have thus far had!

Agreed and again I do not see where this is coming from I have not complained about my situation indeed I am grateful as stated above that I was able to attend school, earn a degree and better myself and my situation.
As for your situation I can only say then that I am sure that it will be greatly satisfying to you to finish your degree and I applaud you for taking the initiative to pursue it.

DO NOT take for granted those things for which you have had the opportunity to work and NEVER belittle those who may well have a greater trouble than you have ever dreamed!

Wow this is off the scale. To begin with I do not take for granted what I have been able to accomplish I am grateful for it everyday of my life and for you to imply that I am not is insulting and presumptuous.

I would also like for you to point out to me where I belittled anyone. Besides there is no possible way for you to have any idea what I am able to 'dream' of.

I also find it quiet remarkable that most of the time these very people have managed to stay out of the lake of self pity and/or pride at which you have so obviously set up camp!

Ok this has gone beyone ridiculous. I do not pity myself, (nor have I ever in this regard) your implication that I do is unconscionable. I put forth my story to show that indeed it was possible for those who face adversity to prevail and since it is possible then there is no excuse for others to not do the same.

Of course there are those who have it worse than me. Would you like to know about the many epileptics that I know who finished a degree sometimes one class at a time, or perhaps the quadriplegic that recently finished his doctoral thesis and should soon have his earned Ph.D? Maybe I can share the story of the woman who lived down the street who had 4 children and no income and yet completed not only her undergraduate degree in Psychology but then her Masters and now is a licensed counselor. There are many who have it more difficult than I and to imply that I do not see them or that I do not consider them indicates that you know nothing about me.

I have read my posts over again to be sure and I see nothing that indicates that I feel sorry for myself or that I deserved anything more than what I had or have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theAmishGirl

Jul 22, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
✟8,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well- I suppose that there are some things that we will just have to disagree on. Please note that to you your statements may seem quite innocent but to others they may seem rather pompous and attacking. Obviously if I had not felt that you were attacking the situation, I would never have replied to you in the first place!

Now if we could please return to a valid conversation, it would be most enjoyable seeing as how this one is going to continue to spin in circles without much being accomplished.

Have a wonderful day.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
And I would ask you to pay attention to words of posts and not attribute an attack to them until you actually ascertain whether one was made or not.

If you wish to continue the conversation I would appreciate it if you would expound upon your statement that you disagree with most Republican Economic policy.

Upvote 0

Shane Roach

Mar 13, 2002
✟23,036.00
Faith
Christian
theAmishGirl said:
DO NOT take for granted those things for which you have had the opportunity to work and NEVER belittle those who may well have a greater trouble than you have ever dreamed! I also find it quiet remarkable that most of the time these very people have managed to stay out of the lake of self pity and/or pride at which you have so obviously set up camp!

jtbdad said:
I have read my posts over again to be sure and I see nothing that indicates that I feel sorry for myself or that I deserved anything more than what I had or have.

I'm afraid I may have helped stir this conversation up and for that I appologize. I would like to point out one thing, though. Note that she speaks of self pity and/or pride, and of others who have made it through rough times who still seem to share her values and mine concerning pay for what some choose to define as somehow menial work, or work that simply does not deserve higher pay.

It is the combination of having a hard luck story and then describing how hard luck has been overcome that leads to the perception -- perception I want to emphasize, because if I have accused you jtbdad it was wrong of me, and I appologize -- that one has combined self pity with pride when it is used as a reason for keeping wages low by such a person. Many people struggle, and because of their struggles they develop the exact opposite mentality, especially when faced with the dramatic excesses of much of the upper class in modern times. Never has the difference in lifestyles between the rich and the poor been so dramatic, and if you look worldwide you will see some still living in primitive conditions within miles of people who are living with every modern convenience available to them.

Even in the USA, where there is a lot of opportunity and where, last I checked, there is also the most movement of people up and down the economic ladder of any nation, there is still significant stagnation of the underclass and a widening gap between the lifestyles of the wealthy and the poor. You can argue that anyone can do it if they try, but the fact remains that many people try and fail for example to complete college, and it seems fairly presumptuous to just assume that every last one of them just didn't try hard enough. It is my perception, again, I want to emphasize that word perception, that many people who make it through hard times tend to overlook or downplay the good things. I have not seen you mention what you had that helped you along, for example. Only the bad things.

So to sum up, it really just never comes across well to some of us when people basically argue that someone's honest work is just not worthy of a living wage. If nothing else, in an ideal world people who were not terribly smart would end up being the ones with jobs that require little intelligence to do, and yet they would still deserve a living wage. Someone being unintelligent is not an excuse to relegate them to a low wage job. There is also the complication that the only reason some jobs pay as high as they do is because laws for incorporation, organization, liability control and so forth set a certain class of people in control of things that otherwise would be open options for everyone. For example, one can not simply go out and start hunting for ones own food. One can not just squat down somewhere and farm land that happens to be fallow. There is no particular reason why a person OUGHT to be able to do these things, but at the same time, seeing as our present society is organized such that they can't, there needs to be some attention paid to the fact that that is a freedom that the poor have sacrificed and that they, too, deserve to benefit from the social compact that holds our civilization together every bit as much as those who sit at the controls of the large and powerful organizations made possible by all that regulation.

In short, the same mechanisms that make it possible at all for some to have control and ownership and income and power at the level of the weathier classes today are the ones that hold the working classes down and prevent them from having security in their own lives and wages, so in order to compensate for that, there needs to be a consideration in return for their continued peaceful and law abiding cooperation and productive work as well. This fundamentally precludes the argument, "well, some people's work just is not worth that much money." This is at its foundation a statement of opinion, and the larger the number of people one attempts to lump into this group of people who do not deserve much pay, the less workable society becomes.

That's my view anyhow, and the reason I am not a very Republican Republican.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's kind of hard not to be a Democrat right now. The Republican party has been so taken over by a bunch of people that are simply busy shoving money in the pockets of their friends as fast as they can that it's really hard to find a Republican to vote for.

Marv

Aside from the war, that's one of my big issues with the Republicans too. It's unfortunate too, since the Republicans have some great social platforms, most notably their strong pro-life stance.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

jess91877

Jun 4, 2005
Pottstown, PA
✟8,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
As far as Republican/Democrat agenda's go in the eyes of the fundamentalist, I believe both parties have their share of "wrongs". Really, I am a conservative, and I would never dream of voting for 1/2 the jaded Republicans who run, let alone Democrats who are so far out in left field any God fearing person would be nuts to vote for them.

I find myself leaning toward independent, and have registered as an independent. Anymore, I refuse to look at the party, and I look primarily at the candidate. Sometimes I vote Republican, sometimes Democrat...but, to say that Republicans are the true conservative party and represent the interests of Christians is a fallicy the modern day non-fundamental church would have you believe. As fundamentalist Christians, we should discern the truth, and get to know our candidates!

Upvote 0

theAmishGirl

Jul 22, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
✟8,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We should be careful not to make pro-life the only issue though. Yes it is very important, I'm not saying that it isn't, but when you talk about social platforms, the Republicans have a lot of problems. They are running the welfare system into the ground along with insurance programs, outreach funding, and a lot of other things. If you want to stand for "social platforms" you need to look toward the democatic candidates this year. A good deal of them are pro-life and anti-gay marriage and are at the same time trying to work to improve them system of welfare and aid within this country and abroad. About the only thing the REps are concerned with right now is the war and immigration (and don't even get me started on their immigration policy), they are just leaving way too much stuff out of the picture that has to be dealt with right now!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟383,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We should be careful not to make pro-life the only issue though. Yes it is very important, I'm not saying that it isn't, but when you talk about social platforms, the Republicans have a lot of problems. They are running the welfare system into the ground along with insurance programs, outreach funding, and a lot of other things. If you want to stand for "social platforms" you need to look toward the democatic candidates this year. A good deal of them are pro-life and anti-gay marriage and are at the same time trying to work to improve them system of welfare and aid within this country and abroad. About the only thing the REps are concerned with right now is the war and immigration (and don't even get me started on their immigration policy), they are just leaving way too much stuff out of the picture that has to be dealt with right now!
Pro-life Democrats went out with the 80's. Recently, the Dems have been softening their pro-choice rhetoric, but on the whole aren't compromising their belief in abortion.

As for the "social platforms," you can believe that if you sincerily believe that state-run "charity" is the only way to be generous to people. I put "charity" in quotes because benefits such as Social Security are taxable, so it amounts more to Indian giving.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I haven't met a pro-life democrat for the past two decades. I can't speak for anyone else but abortion is where I start the process. I will not under any circumstance vote for a pro-choice candidate. The rest of their platform can be perfectly in line with my own ideologies and they still will not get my vote.
As for the pro-life candidates then I look at their platforms, stances on the issues etc. and then I am usually stuck voting for the lesser of two or more evils. I have met very few candidates recently (and I have the opportunity to meet many) that gave me a very good reason to vote for them. I find that often I am voting against a candidate rather than voting for one.

Upvote 0