• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How are you? script

Chips

Sep 18, 2005
m
✟7,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The standard script for a casual greeting with a stranger is "How are you?", which is typically answered with something like "I'm fine, how are you?", which is typically answered with the same. However, I've noticed that sometimes, especially in the context of church, when I say "I'm fine" or "I'm ok" in answer to "How are you?", I'm met with "You're only fine?". This completely throws me off script and uses up an enormous amount of my already limited social bandwidth. And I'm not talking about a situation where the person actually wants to know how I am - these are brief encounters with strangers, not intimate discussions with close friends or family. So, two questions:

1: What answer would be acceptable to those people who won't accept "I'm ok" or "I'm fine", whether that is an honest answer or not. What are they looking for in the first place?

2: Once I've been presented with "You're only fine?", what is the appropriate script to follow? I've tried "Yes, I'm fine", and it is typically met with a repeated "You're only fine?" How should one proceed?

Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The standard script for a casual greeting with a stranger is "How are you?", which is typically answered with something like "I'm fine, how are you?", which is typically answered with the same. However, I've noticed that sometimes, especially in the context of church, when I say "I'm fine" or "I'm ok" in answer to "How are you?", I'm met with "You're only fine?". This completely throws me off script and uses up an enormous amount of my already limited social bandwidth. And I'm not talking about a situation where the person actually wants to know how I am - these are brief encounters with strangers, not intimate discussions with close friends or family. So, two questions:

1: What answer would be acceptable to those people who won't accept "I'm ok" or "I'm fine", whether that is an honest answer or not. What are they looking for in the first place?

2: Once I've been presented with "You're only fine?", what is the appropriate script to follow? I've tried "Yes, I'm fine", and it is typically met with a repeated "You're only fine?" How should one proceed?

give it no thought ...

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yeah just ignore it. or say, 'yes i'm fine' i guess idk.
I usually like to tell the truth, so sometimes i said: I'm not fine, but that makes them ask why are you not fine, is like if you say you are not fine, they think is because you are requesting help or to talk about it. So i usually now just say Fine, etc.

Reactions: Augustinosia
Upvote 0

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟118,853.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This kind of response tends to come from people who ascribe to the faux hyper toxic positivity movement, where the only "acceptable" mask to display in public is a smiley upbeat sunny side up version of yourself. I'd respond with "why do you ask" and reiterate with "I'm fine" like a stuck record needle.

Upvote 0