How are we to see ourselves?

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Recently, I have heard Christians give two completely different answers to this question. One camp says that we are to see ourselves as lowly sinners. In my 20s, my mother concerned that I may be getting too “new age” being away from college and probably listening to too much 700 Club, had my brother-in-law, a missionary, counsel me while driving me to the airport. I told him that I didn’t believe there was anything “new” to what I believed although it may be different than how I was taught. For example, when I pray, I close my eyes, and go within. He said, “When I go within, all I see is darkness and evil.” I said, “well, maybe you want to ask Jesus into your heart, the “Little light of mine?” He said, “The only good in me is Jesus.” I said, “I’m sad that you don’t see the good that is you. I can see it. But it makes me wonder - if people don’t have Jesus, do you only see darkness and evil in such people?” There was street preacher in Toronto, Dorre Love, that would say as people passed him, “A lot of demons out tonight...” He didn’t even know these people, and just viewed the world in general as evil.

Someone had posted the lyrics of I Believe by Laura Daigel, calling them Anti-Christ because she was singing of self-doubt that she would never measure up, and when she is feels she is lost, He reminds her she is His, when she feels weak, he tells her she is strong. I hear this, and it sounds like a song of hope, of encouragement. Instead, it was attacked. “The truth is, you will never measure up! We are lowly sinners!” Then this parable was quoted, or misquoted.

Luke 18-9-14

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

From this, they conclude that God wants us to see ourselves as lowly sinners, unable to turn our heads up to God.
The message that I get was, your attitude in prayer to God matters. The Pharisee didn’t once praise God, he praised himself. Well, he praised God for making him better than other people, better than other sinners, following all the commandments. His religion didn’t allow for mercy, and he condemned others while patting himself on the back. The tax collector probably didn’t raise his head because he was asking forgiveness, and acknowledging his sin, and humbling himself before God. So, if you go into church, and thank God that you are not like the drug dealers and addicts, the prostitutes, and such a great, holy person, it offends God. Once, a Christian said to me, “You know, in Christ I love you, I just hate your sin.” I said, “Thank you, sister. I love you as well. And ....uh, I hate you sin, too, I guess.” “MY SIN???? WHAT SIN HAVE I COMMITTED?” I assume everyone sins now and then, no matter how hard they try not to. What sin had she committed? None of my business, but I used it as a tagline as she did, and she didn’t take it as feeling loved, but as feeling judged. Why do you think she was so offended? My guess is she saw me beneath her.

One poster was saying that the message of the Gospel is that we are lowly sinners in needing forgiveness.

Think about that for a minute. Is that the message you understand from the Gospel? Did people not understand that they sinned and when they did, needed to atone, in the OT?

Finally, in seeing an article referring to the parable, a pastor gave examples of people he counselled. One had an affair and now their marriage was on the rocks. Another unmarried woman was now pregnant. Each of them said, “How did I get here,” and when asked how they thought they got there, said low self esteem. The one that had the affair was tempted because someone outside of the marriage made them feel good about themselves, the pregnant woman saying the same. I believe their was someone with an addiction who used a substance to make themselves happier. But the pastor says that it is not because they had low self esteem, but because it was too high. They arrived at that situation because they were lowly sinners, but not acknowledging that, found themselves in a bad situation.

One can have a healthy esteem while still acknowledging their sinful nature. All of this is really foreign to me, because having worked in counselling, the lower a person sees themselves, the less they care for themselves, ending up in abusive relationships because they believe they deserve it, have substance abuse to combat how much they hate themselves.

So, I can go before God, humble myself and ask forgiveness, but I also acknowledge that my soul is divine, and I am made in God’s image, and that is seen most often when I act in love towards others. I’m not patting myself on the back, but saying thank you, Father, for the love you have shown me by showing that love to others. I have seen Christians who are like the Pharisee, who, when asked if they have “gone and sin no more,” will say things like, “Well, I don’t intentionally sin.” Um, it’s called free will, and yes, you do. You just won’t admit it.

So, I am able to admit my own faults/sins, and it helps me to show mercy to others who sin against me, but I don’t believe God wishes for us to simply walk around in life with our heads down, full of guilt and shame, see ourselves only as sin, but as the beautiful children of God that we are that also bring joy and happiness. And I certainly don’t believe that the message of the Gospel is that we are lowly sinners than need forgiveness, but that Jesus came to save us, to show us how to forgive, how to love, how to be able to walk humbly without being self deprecating, and forgive the sins of the world.

Any comments?

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Relevant song.

As for me I see myself this way: an intrinsically good creation of God (who also bears His Image and was placed at the head of all things in Adam as Scripture says) who is marred by Original Sin. Of myself I deserve nothing from God but He is merciful and says that He will give it to me if I ask, so I do, being confident in Him and not in myself in this sense.

I do not beat myself up over sins and I expect to sin, but will not let dispiritedness and despair get to me or sit and mope about it for Scripture also says "for a righteous man will fall seven times, and rise again: but the ungodly shall be without strength in troubles." Focusing on your own deficiency and marred nature is ultimately just another form a pride: you are focusing on yourself. Instead we should focus on God.

This video is also relevant to that issue of self-image and not focusing on accusations against ourselves by the devil or ourselves, but to focus on God and hope in Him:

Another aspect of self-image to me is simply our creation. Any human is made because God (whose judgment is infinitely good) saw it to be a good thing to make them. From that perspective it is a great honor to even exist and there is dignity in it especially since we humans have the Image of God. In considering all of this I think we should have a very positive view of ourselves but realistically expect failures while not focusing on them but on God who will save us (if He made us He has also made it possible for us to be saved and will work it in us as well).

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Simul iustus et peccator. At once both saint and sinner.

According to the Law I am a condemned sinner that sins, I am not righteous, I do not love God with my whole heart and I do not love my neighbor as myself. I fall short, fail, and find that in my works I have nothing to offer God except my cold, dead, empty hands of sin.

According to the Gospel I am the fully and freely justified child of God, adopted as a child and heir of the Father in Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit Himself dwelling in me. My guilt is washed away, all my sins are forgiven, I have peace with God and am truly loved and chosen by God, and there is only the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ.

So when we sin, we confess honestly to ourselves, before God, and before the whole world that we are sinners. We grieve over our sins, we mourn the pain we have inflicted upon others, upon our brothers and sisters, upon all our friends and neighbors. We confess ourselves, honestly, to God: That we are sinners, and that we repent.

And God's word to us, there, in the midst of all that sin and grief and death, is that He loves us and that He forgives us, and that we are His children, united to Jesus Christ and presented before the Father without blemish, blameless, holy, righteous, and clean. That's the Gospel.

Are we sinners? Yes. Lord have mercy on us sinners, both now and at the hour of our death.

Are we saints? Yes. God declares it so in Christ, to us. Hallelujah!

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think there is a healthy way to see ourselves as both sinners in need of grace and creatures that bear the image of the divine. They counteract an inordinate self view. If I'm too prideful, I need to remember my inescapable need for grace. If I'm beating myself down, I need to remember my inherent value as a bearer of God's image. There's a sweet spot in there where we should be able to see ourselves as we are, which is to see ourselves in a way that is fitting.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Recently, I have heard Christians give two completely different answers to this question. One camp says that we are to see ourselves as lowly sinners. In my 20s, my mother concerned that I may be getting too “new age” being away from college and probably listening to too much 700 Club, had my brother-in-law, a missionary, counsel me while driving me to the airport. I told him that I didn’t believe there was anything “new” to what I believed although it may be different than how I was taught. For example, when I pray, I close my eyes, and go within. He said, “When I go within, all I see is darkness and evil.” I said, “well, maybe you want to ask Jesus into your heart, the “Little light of mine?” He said, “The only good in me is Jesus.” I said, “I’m sad that you don’t see the good that is you. I can see it. But it makes me wonder - if people don’t have Jesus, do you only see darkness and evil in such people?” There was street preacher in Toronto, Dorre Love, that would say as people passed him, “A lot of demons out tonight...” He didn’t even know these people, and just viewed the world in general as evil.

Someone had posted the lyrics of I Believe by Laura Daigel, calling them Anti-Christ because she was singing of self-doubt that she would never measure up, and when she is feels she is lost, He reminds her she is His, when she feels weak, he tells her she is strong. I hear this, and it sounds like a song of hope, of encouragement. Instead, it was attacked. “The truth is, you will never measure up! We are lowly sinners!” Then this parable was quoted, or misquoted.

Luke 18-9-14

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

From this, they conclude that God wants us to see ourselves as lowly sinners, unable to turn our heads up to God.
The message that I get was, your attitude in prayer to God matters. The Pharisee didn’t once praise God, he praised himself. Well, he praised God for making him better than other people, better than other sinners, following all the commandments. His religion didn’t allow for mercy, and he condemned others while patting himself on the back. The tax collector probably didn’t raise his head because he was asking forgiveness, and acknowledging his sin, and humbling himself before God. So, if you go into church, and thank God that you are not like the drug dealers and addicts, the prostitutes, and such a great, holy person, it offends God. Once, a Christian said to me, “You know, in Christ I love you, I just hate your sin.” I said, “Thank you, sister. I love you as well. And ....uh, I hate you sin, too, I guess.” “MY SIN???? WHAT SIN HAVE I COMMITTED?” I assume everyone sins now and then, no matter how hard they try not to. What sin had she committed? None of my business, but I used it as a tagline as she did, and she didn’t take it as feeling loved, but as feeling judged. Why do you think she was so offended? My guess is she saw me beneath her.

One poster was saying that the message of the Gospel is that we are lowly sinners in needing forgiveness.

Think about that for a minute. Is that the message you understand from the Gospel? Did people not understand that they sinned and when they did, needed to atone, in the OT?

Finally, in seeing an article referring to the parable, a pastor gave examples of people he counselled. One had an affair and now their marriage was on the rocks. Another unmarried woman was now pregnant. Each of them said, “How did I get here,” and when asked how they thought they got there, said low self esteem. The one that had the affair was tempted because someone outside of the marriage made them feel good about themselves, the pregnant woman saying the same. I believe their was someone with an addiction who used a substance to make themselves happier. But the pastor says that it is not because they had low self esteem, but because it was too high. They arrived at that situation because they were lowly sinners, but not acknowledging that, found themselves in a bad situation.

One can have a healthy esteem while still acknowledging their sinful nature. All of this is really foreign to me, because having worked in counselling, the lower a person sees themselves, the less they care for themselves, ending up in abusive relationships because they believe they deserve it, have substance abuse to combat how much they hate themselves.

So, I can go before God, humble myself and ask forgiveness, but I also acknowledge that my soul is divine, and I am made in God’s image, and that is seen most often when I act in love towards others. I’m not patting myself on the back, but saying thank you, Father, for the love you have shown me by showing that love to others. I have seen Christians who are like the Pharisee, who, when asked if they have “gone and sin no more,” will say things like, “Well, I don’t intentionally sin.” Um, it’s called free will, and yes, you do. You just won’t admit it.

So, I am able to admit my own faults/sins, and it helps me to show mercy to others who sin against me, but I don’t believe God wishes for us to simply walk around in life with our heads down, full of guilt and shame, see ourselves only as sin, but as the beautiful children of God that we are that also bring joy and happiness. And I certainly don’t believe that the message of the Gospel is that we are lowly sinners than need forgiveness, but that Jesus came to save us, to show us how to forgive, how to love, how to be able to walk humbly without being self deprecating, and forgive the sins of the world.

Any comments?
As others here have noted, the point of the Law's condemnation is to teach us to look to Christ and see ourselves in him. It sounds like your friends are operating under the Law.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Luke 18-9-14

Any comments?

I think there is a healthy way to see ourselves as both sinners in need of grace and creatures that bear the image of the divine. They counteract an inordinate self view. If I'm too prideful, I need to remember my inescapable need for grace. If I'm beating myself down, I need to remember my inherent value as a bearer of God's image. There's a sweet spot in there where we should be able to see ourselves as we are, which is to see ourselves in a way that is fitting.

I think the best way to see ourselves relates to us the same way as the truth relates to either political party. The truth doesn't have any relationship to opinion, pursuits or ideological position.

It would be best if we didn't see ourselves, because our sight is inevitably skewed; instead we should see Christ. But since we can't avoid self-assessment, at least we should admit that only God's use of us, and assessment of us, has validity. It is wise to be skeptical of self, sprinkled with a healthy bit of humor. We keep taking ourselves too seriously and God too flippantly.

We have no idea how bad we are, and credit the wrong person for how good we are. That's not self-deprecation. It's looking for the right reason for confidence.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe the problem is the extremism.

If you work really hard and graduate with honors, and say you feel proud of your accomplishment, you are accused of arrogance or the sin of pride.

In simply referring to loving one's neighbor as themselves, a person said, yes, but that is impossible. Only Christ can do that. I ask, it's impossible to, say open the door for someone, offer food to someone who is hungry or let someone over on the highway? They said, If I love someone as myself, i would have to give them my debit card and the pass code.

Uh..what?

When talking about forgiveness, there is a jump to it being equated with being a doormat, or not putting people in jail for murder.

With story of the woman caught in adultery, my take away was that no one is without sin, so should leave the judging to Christ, and Christ, who was without sin, didn't cast a stone, but said neither did he condemn her, showed mercy, and told her to go, and sin no more. But I have had a number of posters interpret it as Christ commanding her "GO! AND SIN NO MORE!" And they add that Christ didn't forgive, and tell her to keep sinning, but if my friend lies to me, and then says they are really sorry, I will forgive them, but no one says "feel free to do it again." No one. And did the woman never sin again? I assume so, since she is human. Maybe she didn't commit adultery, but unless she became Jesus she sinned simply because of our human nature, despite how hard she tried.

So maybe it's the extremism that creates the confusion.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are correct. When Christ told her to go and sin no more, he was essentially, giving her a benediction not a command that she had to fulfill as if his love and forgiveness were somehow dependent on her.

In a sense we do become a doormat when we forgive because we are allowing ourselves to become vulnerable. That's the sacrifice of love.

Maybe the problem is the extremism.

If you work really hard and graduate with honors, and say you feel proud of your accomplishment, you are accused of arrogance or the sin of pride.

In simply referring to loving one's neighbor as themselves, a person said, yes, but that is impossible. Only Christ can do that. I ask, it's impossible to, say open the door for someone, offer food to someone who is hungry or let someone over on the highway? They said, If I love someone as myself, i would have to give them my debit card and the pass code.

Uh..what?

When talking about forgiveness, there is a jump to it being equated with being a doormat, or not putting people in jail for murder.

With story of the woman caught in adultery, my take away was that no one is without sin, so should leave the judging to Christ, and Christ, who was without sin, didn't cast a stone, but said neither did he condemn her, showed mercy, and told her to go, and sin no more. But I have had a number of posters interpret it as Christ commanding her "GO! AND SIN NO MORE!" And they add that Christ didn't forgive, and tell her to keep sinning, but if my friend lies to me, and then says they are really sorry, I will forgive them, but no one says "feel free to do it again." No one. And did the woman never sin again? I assume so, since she is human. Maybe she didn't commit adultery, but unless she became Jesus she sinned simply because of our human nature, despite how hard she tried.

So maybe it's the extremism that creates the confusion.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
You are correct. When Christ told her to go and sin no more, he was essentially, giving her a benediction not a command that she had to fulfill as if his love and forgiveness were somehow dependent on her.

In a sense we do become a doormat when we forgive because we are allowing ourselves to become vulnerable. That's the sacrifice of love.

i think that forgiveness is actually for the person wronged. I've seen people that hold a grudge, and they keep reliving it over and over. However, if I had a friend that betrayed me, I can forgive but still say I don't want to be their friend because they've broken my trust. But you are right - turning the other cheek makes you vulnerable.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
What prompted this is a discontinued thread about the lyrics of I believe by Laura Staigel. The Christian was calling the lyrics anti-Christian because she sings of having self-doubt, of never measuring up, when the gospel says we are lowly sinners in need of forgiveness. But should she be singing "I fight the voices in my head saying that I'll never measure up, and you say, you won't! You're a lowly sinner in need of forgiveness! And I believe"?

From there, I wonder how such people evangelize. While most will admit they aren't perfect, no one is, even I would never say I'm evil to the core and the only good in me is Jesus. We have free will, and can choose right from wrong. I can admit I fall short, but I don't go out of my way to sin against others. I'm the kind of person that returns a cart to where they should be so someone at the store doesn't have to walk the parking lot looking for them.

I choose to focus on living a life in loving action, rather than identify solely as a sinner or on sins not to commit. Identifying solely as a lowly sinner implies that all you do is sin, so when you do, thats what are - a sinner. It's like asking a snake why it bit you - that's what they do.

Ray Comfort's way of getting people to acknowledge they are sinners is to say, have you ever lied? What do you call people who lie? Liars. He goes on with adultery (lust in your heart), ever wish someone was dead (murderer in their heart), so by their own admission, they are lying, murderous adulterers in need of forgiveness. But when someone answers they are Christian, says they are generally a good person, plants seeds of doubt in their salvation.

We all lie, but I would call someone a liar who does it habitually, knows they are lying, and doing so to manipulate, get what they want, or because they think the other too stupid to see it.

That doesn't mean I don't need forgiveness, but I'm a terrible liar. The last lie I told was when a friend asked me if I had a place to stay. I said yes. I didn't want him to worry, to feel an obligation bc he has no space, and a little to save face. I hate pity. It is a very different intent. And while I can admit I am not perfect, I cam forgive imperfections of others. However, I still strive to be a better person, and the message some Christians were saying is God wants us to hate ourselves. So you can't love your neighbor as yourself if you refuse to love yourself, too

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LenJ

Jul 7, 2021
England
✟9,129.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I tend to think of all people, including myself, as an awkward mix of good and bad. Some have more bad or good in them than others but no-one is all good or all bad and on balance even the "best" of us have done plenty wrong in our lives. I don't think we should bash ourselves too much for this as humans are imperfect creatures but we should acknowledge our darker sides, try to be better than we have been, and accept God's grace as we all need it to some extent.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I certainly don’t believe that the message of the Gospel is that we are lowly sinners than need forgiveness, but that Jesus came to save us, to show us how to forgive, how to love, how to be able to walk humbly without being self deprecating, and forgive the sins of the world.
It's not either/ or. It is both. We are lowly sinners and if we lose sight of that we are likely to become arrogant. But we are also the beloved of Christ.
He is enough. We will never be enough in ourselves.
The song says: "I am yours." Not " I'm wonderful in my own strength." The second is the teaching of most every Disney movie, the first is what God says about his children.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Im righteous through Jesus Christ who died for my sins on the cross. Without Him im nothing. That’s how I see myself.

And when it comes to other people, yes there is lot of evil out there.. I always had some sort of discernment of spirits (I didn’t know back then what it was until few years ago I come to realise this) and I can see good and bad in people, some are completely evil, I can get goosebumps if I suddenly see a person who has lot of evil spirits in him for example in tiktok (I know they have evil spirit/spirits in them) so I can easily sense it from far away.
And some people have just for example spirit of pride, not like as evil as someone who has spirit of hate. So I see difference between spirits. What I have seen is that many those people who doesn’t have come to Christ yet I can see that they might come to Christ soon. I see them already ”good” so that made me think, people can have good Spirit in them even they haven’t been born again in Christ yet. Or does it mean, that they are just free from evil spirits im not expert in this (yet) so this is huge help for sharing the gospel, you know that someone is ready to come to Christ and also it’s useful to know if someone has evil spirit I could help them to get rid of it. Obviously I should be using this gift like as much as I can and help people but God hasn’t yet given me confirmation how and where exactly. I know all gifts are to be used to helping people.
Anyway, many christians unfortunately focus on themselves and their sins all the time which is time consuming, we are here to help each other and love each other not to focus on ourselves. So that’s one reason I don’t focus on my sins. I know I do the right thing when guided by my Lord Jesus Christ. He will nudge me if I do something wrong.
My gift of discernment has been growing me a lot after born again in Jesus which is a good sign.

Does anybody see spirit of people like this? I mean I know im not the only one.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian

Relevant song.

As for me I see myself this way: an intrinsically good creation of God (who also bears His Image and was placed at the head of all things in Adam as Scripture says) who is marred by Original Sin. Of myself I deserve nothing from God but He is merciful and says that He will give it to me if I ask, so I do, being confident in Him and not in myself in this sense.

I do not beat myself up over sins and I expect to sin, but will not let dispiritedness and despair get to me or sit and mope about it for Scripture also says "for a righteous man will fall seven times, and rise again: but the ungodly shall be without strength in troubles." Focusing on your own deficiency and marred nature is ultimately just another form a pride: you are focusing on yourself. Instead we should focus on God.

This video is also relevant to that issue of self-image and not focusing on accusations against ourselves by the devil or ourselves, but to focus on God and hope in Him:

Another aspect of self-image to me is simply our creation. Any human is made because God (whose judgment is infinitely good) saw it to be a good thing to make them. From that perspective it is a great honor to even exist and there is dignity in it especially since we humans have the Image of God. In considering all of this I think we should have a very positive view of ourselves but realistically expect failures while not focusing on them but on God who will save us (if He made us He has also made it possible for us to be saved and will work it in us as well).

Love the video. Don't you wish some monk would be singing like that when something deep came out of your mouth?

Upvote 0