How are we going to deal with the Christian "Stereotype" (the World's stereotype for us)?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So you could probably approach this, from an infinitely large number of angles, I just wondered what you would think: specifically, on the basis of your entitlement to be loved by the Brethren, but as the world sees it? What I mean is, you are entitled to be loved on the basis of the New Commandment that Jesus gave the Disciples (John 13:34), but the World does not acknowledge the authority of Jesus OR the Commandment. So we have a problem... and how does the World create that problem? With a "Stereotype".

I mean I encountered this, trying to edit Wikipedia to acknowledge John 13:34 as part of the definition of Christianity, that the world sees - they wouldn't allow it! They said the Bible was not sufficient, as a reference for the meaning of Christianity (crazy, I know). Why? Because in their mind, a "Stereotype" is something that you are powerless to change - it fits without asking, means something without justifying it and justifies judgment through it, without ensuring the letter of the law, for that purpose. We are stereotyped.

So what is the answer? Turn the other cheek! How does Christianity turn the collective cheek? That is what I am asking, I guess. I want you to know, I don't see you as a "stereotype"! I don't know everything about you, I am only beginning to understand the faith (I am learning, as I type), but I am not interested in categorizing you at all, not unless you want to be! No, the point is that I am constantly surprised by the faith, its meaning, its depth, its weight. I want to be more like "the real you", I want who I am to confuse the "stereotype", to defend you and deflect the Devil's blow - it is the Devil that conspires to make us "worth nothing".

And that is the problem: the Stereotype of Christianity, is "worth nothing", without each other. Our common bond of Love, is the only answer! They will know that we are Christ's Disciples if we love one another - no stereotype. Praise for God! Let them say "I didn't know a Christian could do that!", let them marvel "it seems like they know each other, no matter how much I apply that 'Stereotype'" may it be like we don't need the world at all! I know I love my Church, like this, I tell them I love them every Sunday - we've just got to get our heads together and get responses to the World's stereotype worked out. We need to trust that we are going to turn the other cheek to the World's stereotype together (as One)!

Maybe there is a lot less, that is smart about this, than I think - maybe the world is on the verge of giving up stereotypes, but Jesus said that the the love of many will grow cold: we only have a limited time in which to make an impression, as to what "OUR" stereotype really "means". Which is why I brought it up, for discussion.

What do you think? Is it too much to ask for a choice of stereotypes (divide and conquer, style)? I see our stereotype as different to other stereotypes?

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear one,
This is what we have heard:
for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. -James 1:20

I mean I encountered this, trying to edit Wikipedia to acknowledge John 13:34 as part of the definition of Christianity, that the world sees - they wouldn't allow it! They said the Bible was not sufficient, as a reference for the meaning of Christianity (crazy, I know). Why? Because in their mind, a "Stereotype" is something that you are powerless to change - it fits without asking, means something without justifying it and justifies judgment through it, without ensuring the letter of the law, for that purpose. We are stereotyped.

Dear one, I heard what you said. Don’t be angry with them. Otherwise, how you justify what you try to post them, that is, John 13:34.

Dear one, if we take heed the Lord’s new commandment, we love one another as Christ have loved us, that we also love those who were lost and go astray.

For we heard:
““Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven. For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. “What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them goes astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine and go to the mountains to seek the one that is straying?”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭18:10-12‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Dear one, didn’t our Lord consider these little ones that which was lost and go astray, and that is straying? He did. So dear one, if we take heed not to despise these little ones, we ought to love them as Christ love them. Didn’t we hear that our Lord will rejoice when He find the lost and astray sheep?

Dear one, though they may consider us as stereotypes, let us not judge them like the way they judge us. For we heard:

“Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:19-21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

As beloved of the apostles, let us overcome evil with good. How you may say ! This is what we have heard:

“Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭5:16-20‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Since we regard no one according to the flesh, we regard them not according to the flesh but as those who are in union with Christ, now then, we are ambassadors for Christ; let us implore them to be reconciled to God through Christ.

Dear one, God has given us the ministry of reconciliation that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. The word of reconciliation that we spoke to them on Christ’s behalf, “Be reconciled to God.”

Dear one, let us not hate, be angry, judge these little ones who were lost and go astray but let us love them through the love of Christ, for their angels see the face of the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ in heaven.

Let us love them as the new commandment that we heard in John 13:34.

For we also have heard:
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. -Galatians 6:1

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. -Galatians 6:2

Dear one, let us bear the burden that they disagree with us and the Lord Jesus Christ.
About bearing this burden, this is what we have heard:

bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

Dear one, as we bore the burden that they disagree with us and what our Lord have said in John 13:34,and if we have a complaint against them, let us forgive them as the Lord have forgiven us, so we must forgive them.

Thereafter, we heard:
And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. -Colossians 3:14

So let us put on the love of Christ, binds everything together in perfect harmony.

So dear one, let us through the love of Christ serve them. How?This is what we have heard:

“For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus’ sake.”
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭4:5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Let us not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus the Lord and ourselves as bondservants for Jesus’ sake.

Dear one, pray for doors of opportunity that
always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.

To God be all glory and praise forever and ever. Amen

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Wikipedia is a secular source and my son who is in medical school has been told both in high school and college to never use Wikipedia as a source for any papers or even information due to its being open to whoever wants to write it. I would not dwell on things we cannot control, but take it to the Lord in prayer and let Him deal with it, one way or another. For reference, is this the exact link you are referring to, because sometimes there can be dozens of Wikpedia links about the exact same thing? New Commandment - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So you could probably approach this, from an infinitely large number of angles, I just wondered what you would think: specifically, on the basis of your entitlement to be loved by the Brethren, but as the world sees it? What I mean is, you are entitled to be loved on the basis of the New Commandment that Jesus gave the Disciples (John 13:34), but the World does not acknowledge the authority of Jesus OR the Commandment. So we have a problem... and how does the World create that problem? With a "Stereotype".

No one is "entitled" to God's love, and since it His love Christians are to show each other, none of them are entitled to the love of their brothers or sisters in Christ, either. "Entitled" suggests to me an often unwarranted sense that one deserves a thing, that one has an inherent right to it. But God loves us quite apart from our deserving, or having a right to, His love. In fact, what we all deserve from God is eternity in hell. We don't get what we really deserve, though, because God is a loving, merciful, gracious God - not because there is something in us, a right or quality we possess, that God ought to love.

The World's characterization of the Christian faith only creates a problem for the disciple of Jesus when they think that characterization has some important bearing on the faith. It doesn't. The World is blind and deaf to the things of God (1 John 4:1-6; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Ephesians 2:1-3) and unable to properly comprehend the divine Truth expressed in its doctrines and practices. Why, then, should a believer give any particular thought to the stereotypes and inevitable misconceptions the World will take up concerning our faith? The World, darkened as it is, can't have any other view of the faith than the contorted, blind stereotypes it has.

So what is the answer? Turn the other cheek! How does Christianity turn the collective cheek? That is what I am asking, I guess.

The World cannot help but be what it is. So, we go out into it, as lights in the darkness and, one person at a time, bring into God's kingdom of Light all those who will be saved. We don't demand the World entire shift its views of Christianity, but by being salt and light among the lost and dying (Matthew 5:13-16), defying the World's stereotypes, we point individuals bound in sin to their Saviour.

Mark 16:15
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

And that is the problem: the Stereotype of Christianity, is "worth nothing", without each other. Our common bond of Love, is the only answer! They will know that we are Christ's Disciples if we love one another - no stereotype.

Hmmm...There is, though, a kind of "stereotype" or, better perhaps, a clear standard for Christian love, to which Christians are conformed by the Holy Spirit. We see that standard exemplified in Christ and described pretty exhaustively in God's word. Our love can be anticipated, then, assessed against the standard we see spelled out in the Bible, and recognized either as godly love or not.

Upvote 0