Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When: I have found first thing in the morning cannot be beat.
My mind is clear
and it inspires my day

and you?

How: Book by book, with my concordance handy
I feel there might be a better way....?
Whenever my spirit "hungers", four maybe five
times a day, but I agree with you, "breakfast"
is the most important meal of the day.
As to methodology, the one you follow is fine,
but I would add that I ALWAYS invite the Holy
Spirit to come alongside and mentor me.
I see the Bible as the topic of conversation
that I am sharing with the Lord.
Sometimes I have a free moment and simply
open the Bible and start reading and listen for
the Lord to speak to me. Many, many times
a question I had recently posed during a
study is answered that way. I have heard some
criticize this method as trying to use the Bible
as an oracle. Well guess what, the scriptures
are called "the oracles of God" for a reason.
The most important thing is to not simply
open a book, open your heart to receive,
by way of the discipline of a hearing heart,
and come to recognize the Master's Voice.

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I like to study by theme, lets say that the Grace of God is what I woke up with on my mind this morning, then that becomes my theme that day. And I look up old and new testament, in this case grace scriptures. It works in my life, the Spirit has placed themed scriptures on me for intro messages at church or for our local tv broadcasts at the time etc. That may not be for everyone but it surely works for me. Even to witness with. I'd love to hone that to a finer level. God is in it for me at least.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was just thinking that also in the evening my wife and I read scripture and pray ( this is separate from our own individual studies). We swap off who picks a chapter or Psalm to read, sometimes we share verse by verse, I read, she reads, then me etc to the end of the chapter. Other times one or the other reads the entire thing. We find key verses and do a study on them, Strongs is used, sometimes Matthew Henry or Spurgeons take on the verse in commentaries. We read several versions of bible translations. When satisfied we go into prayer first thanking God and giving Him the glory. Ending with requests and blessings. We also pray the house out and ask protection.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Evenings, when I go get in bed. Its quiet, I've done what I need to do so my mind is quiet instead of running through the endless "to do" list. I like to go by book, hard copy bible and look up things using my IPad. Highlighter, pen, pencil, journal and notebook round out the materials I have on hand. I can spend anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour in study (depends on many factors) and I start and finish with prayer. Lately I've been sort of lazy, school is in full swing and it seems like there's always "one more thing" to do (write discipline notes, grade assignments, plan lessons, communicate w/parents, meetings, coaching an academic team, on and on). Also, I'm slowly recovering from a badly broken ankle (9 screws, one plate and a couple of wires later), and by the end of the day the pain can be quite bad. Still not sleeping all that well with that, I have a 5" incision on the inside of my ankle and a 7-8" incision on the outside.
My small group starts back up this coming Tuesday which will be a blessing. I am hoping to get back to regular church attendance by the end of October (I can't really drive, it's the right ankle).

• Informative
Upvote 0