Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No you don't. We both wrote and canonized the Bible (St. Mark the Evangelist and St. Athanasius the Apostolic, respectively), and we know there is nothing of Mormonism in it.

You can claim that the Bible says whatever you want, but it'll be taken with about as much as weight as you'd give to an actively anti-Mormon non-Mormon's reading of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price.

He sure did, and if you ever understood what that meant, you'd leave Mormonism immediately. Unfortunately for you and approximately 16 million other people, you learn what the Bible means from the likes of Joseph Smith and Russel M. Nelson and all the people in between the two of them, not one of which has a snowball's chance in hell of even understanding the Bible (which they have nothing to do with at all, outside of their persistent mangling of it), much less preaching on it in any kind of Spirit-filled way on it. The spirit which Mormon leaders and interpreters listen to and claim to communicate with is not the Holy Spirit, but legions of demons. They've got you all totally lost.
Reading the Book of Mormon has caused many non-members to become members.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You don't need to send any missionaries anywhere! Christ fills us with love that spills over to the people around us and Joseph Smith didn't know God at all.
The prophets, apostles and Jesus Christ Himself all taught the gospel of LOVE. That is what Jesus Christ expects of us.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormon children are thought by Mormons to be free from sin unril age eight. Then they get baptized and start sinning.
Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of children under the age of accountability. After baptism we should not willfully sin.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's not what Joseph Smith taught!

Joseph Lewis, Emma Smith's cousin, later explained why Joseph was not allowed to become a member of the Methodist Church:
I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon, (as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it. So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-. That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book (The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p. 1).
Issue 106 - Salt Lake City Messenger

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of children under the age of accountability. After baptism we should not willfully sin.

Children willfully sin. Jesus did not atone for children's sins until sge 8.That doctrine was invented by Joseph Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Reading the Book of Mormon has caused many non-members to become members.

Shame on them! The missionaries didn't require me and three other family members to read the Book of Mormon. My sister didn't even read it in her lifetime.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Children willfully sin. Jesus did not atone for children's sins until sge 8.That doctrine was invented by Joseph Smith.
(New Testament | Mark 10:13 - 16)

13 ¶ And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.
14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Shame on them! The missionaries didn't require me and three other family members to read the Book of Mormon. My sister didn't even read it in her lifetime.
One of my shipmates asked me if he could come to church with me. I said yes. I gave him a Book of Mormon and he read it and asked me if I had anything else that he could read, so I gave him a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants. He read that and was soon baptized. He and his wife are happily engaged in the work of Jesus Christ. I do not take any credit in his conversion, as it was the Holy Ghost and NOT me.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's not what Joseph Smith taught!

Joseph Lewis, Emma Smith's cousin, later explained why Joseph was not allowed to become a member of the Methodist Church:
I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon, (as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it. So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-. That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book (The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p. 1).
Issue 106 - Salt Lake City Messenger

Sorry Joseph Lewis if you were talking 1821 or so, you might have the time-line right, but by 1828 JS was bringing forth the BOM and was certainly not going to be joining any church.

Did Lewis make some money off of his recollections? Is there any documentation available to prove his story or is it just one of hundreds of negative stories about JS.

Upvote 0