House Democrats Attack 1st Amendment Rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tucker Carlson works for Fox News. So does Sean Hannity, who is just as biased to the right.

I quit watching Fox News on a regular basis because of Sean Hannity. I can't stand him.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As if Democrats are the only ones guilty of this. "conservatives" only wanting to listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Ingraham, Coulter, Alex Jones, etc. gave us the trainwreck that is trump.

I'm a conservative and I didn't listen to Limbaugh. I don't listen to any of the other conservatives you mentioned either. Personally, I can't stand the conservative commentators you listed in your post.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It is humorous to see liberals complain about conservative media sources all the while unquestioningly reading/watching their polar opposites.
Untrue.

Many of us DO watch conservative news media (for as long as we can stomach it) in a painful "hold your friends close, and your enemies closer" exercize.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm a conservative and I didn't listen to Limbaugh. I don't listen to any of the other conservatives you mentioned either. Personally, I can't stand the conservative commentators you mentioned.
Hence my use of the open/close quotes around the word conservative. I understand that there are MANY conservatives who no longer recognize the Republican Party as the one they belong[ed] to. And there are conservatives I may vehemently disagree with on many things but with whom I can also agree with on many things. That is not the case with most of the trump supporters I have "debated".

Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm a conservative and I didn't listen to Limbaugh. I don't listen to any of the other conservatives you mentioned either. Personally, I can't stand the conservative commentators you listed in your post.
Yep, same here.

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hence my use of the open/close quotes around the word conservative. I understand that there are MANY conservatives who no longer recognize the Republican Party as the one they belong[ed] to. And there are conservatives I may vehemently disagree with on many things but with whom I can also agree with on many things. That is not the case with most of the trump supporters I have "debated".

My apologies for misunderstanding you, MIDutch.

As a conservative, I've often been lumped in with the conservatives who support Trump and I've had to make it clear that I adamantly oppose him, and Trumpism. It's been a tedious task at times.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What conservatives should we be listening to?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
House Democrats Target Newsmax, Fox News for De-platforming From Cable
Cable service companies such as Comcast, AT&T, Spectrum, Dish, Verizon, Cox, and Altice all received the same letter on Monday pressing for answers on policies related to the spread of disinformation, rumors, and conspiracy theories on networks they carry.

The letter directly only assails conservative news networks Fox News, Newsmax, and OANN and accuses them of airing misinformation on various topics – among them, the coronavirus, the 2020 election, and the storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6.

The Democrats even goes as far to ask whether the outlets will continue to be carried by the providers and questions their "ethical principles." Tellingly, the Democrats are not targeting any leftwing media like CNN and MSNBC.

Thoughts and/or comments?
When does free speech cross the line and become a false cry of "Fire!" in a crowded theater? It's a question, but OANN and Newsmax, at least, crossed that line a long time ago.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When does free speech cross the line and become a false cry of "Fire!" in a crowded theater? It's a question, but OANN and Newsmax, at least, crossed that line a long time ago.
Examples?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a desperate attempt to control the airways before the 2022 elections, which I believe they are scared spitless of losing. If they lose the House it's all over for them.
But it's more than that. It's the totalitarian impulse in action, irrespective of political affiliation. Because this is a horrifying example of an attempt to suppress free speech, I would hope that we'll hear from some Democratic leaders who will say it's not a good idea.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And why should not the same charge be assessed against CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT, and others for shouting for 4 years about Russian collusion?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: Guinan
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes I wonder if this country deserves freedom. Because surely if things continue unimpeded, we are going to lose it. The left will not rest until one-party rule is secured, and to that end will tolerate no point of view but its own. Unfortunately this will lead directly to the destruction of the nation.

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I wonder if this country deserves freedom. Because surely if things continue unimpeded, we are going to lose it. The left will not rest until one-party rule is secured, and to that end will tolerate no point of view but its own. Unfortunately this will lead directly to the destruction of the nation.

Stating one's personal opinion (with unfounded fear mongering accusations that are void of sufficient evidence) isn't helpful or productive in a political debate. It's nothing more than an echo chamber.

Personally, I'm more concerned with Trump's dangerous political rhetoric of a 'stolen election' ("We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore." - source), the Big Lie that was perpetuated by the Republican leaders who believed his false narrative of a stolen election, and the Pro-Trump insurrectionists who raided the Capitol in a concentrated effort to prevent the Congress from certifying the presidential electoral votes in Joe Biden's favor. I'm very concerned about their angry chants of "Hang Mike Pence!" and the threats to assassinate Congress members.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think the issue is free speech.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

It looks to me that a couple of Reps are wanting to violate this amendment, either directly or indirectly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.