US
✟1,100,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
House lawmakers investigating President Biden are seeking access to some of Mr. Biden’s emails from his time as vice president and all drafts of a speech he delivered to Ukraine lawmakers in 2015 when his son had a high-paying job on the board of a Ukraine energy firm.

The House Oversight and Accountability Committee has sent a letter to the National Archives and Records Administration asking for the records.

It marks the first move by lawmakers to gather material directly from Mr. Biden for their probe of his involvement in his son Hunter Biden’s lucrative foreign business deals.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's going to be interesting to see if Biden invokes executive privilege or not.
I could be mistaken, but I believe executive privilege is for between President and his staff.

Emails through pseudonyms to his sons business partners would not be protected.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I could be mistaken, but I believe executive privilege is for between President and his staff.

Emails through pseudonyms to his sons business partners would not be protected.
It is a good question and is complicated by the fact he is now president. From what I found it looks as if only the president can invoke the privilage but he can invoke it for anyone in the executive office. My guess is it has never been used this way before but he does have the power to invoke it and it would likely be appealed to SCOTUS for a ruling.

Who can use executive privilege?​

Executive privilege must be invoked by the President but can be used to cover the President, Vice President, and other members of the executive branch. Members of the executive branch can include advisors to the President, cabinet members, and perhaps executive agencies.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a good question and is complicated by the fact he is now president. From what I found it looks as if only the president can invoke the privilage but he can invoke it for anyone in the executive office. My guess is it has never been used this way before but he does have the power to invoke it and it would likely be appealed to SCOTUS for a ruling.

Who can use executive privilege?​

Executive privilege must be invoked by the President but can be used to cover the President, Vice President, and other members of the executive branch. Members of the executive branch can include advisors to the President, cabinet members, and perhaps executive agencies.
Muddy water - it is designed to cover sensitive conversations between the President (vp etc) with an adviser. What a legal malaise to support having a President invoke Executive privilege with himself from when he was VP using a pseudonym to circumvent his name being on emails to his son's business partners and others.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Muddy water - it is designed to cover sensitive conversations between the President (vp etc) with an adviser. What a legal malaise to support having a President invoke Executive privilege with himself from when he was VP using a pseudonym to circumvent his name being on emails to his son's business partners and others.
We can discuss that if it actually gets invoked.

Upvote 0