Hounded by baseless voter fraud allegations, an entire county's election staff quits in Virginia

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In January, the GOP assumed control of the Buckingham County Electoral Board that oversees her office, and local Republicans began advancing baseless voter fraud claims that baffled her. The electoral board made it clear it wanted her out of the job.

“There were people saying that they had heard all these rumors — that the attorney general was going to indict me,” Taylor said, days after leaving the office for the last time. “Mentally, I just — I couldn’t take it anymore.”

Three weeks ago, frustrated and heartbroken, Taylor, along with two part-time staffers, quit. Their resignations followed a deputy registrar who left in February, citing the same conflict.

The four departures left residents without a functioning registrar’s office; there was no way to register to vote or certify candidate paperwork, at least temporarily.

A state elections worker arrived in town a week later to try to pick up the pieces, looking through drawers and opening the mail, as the two remaining members of the electoral board — both Republicans, because the one Democrat had also recently quit began the difficult process of restaffing a completely barren department.

“A lot of election officials I’ve talked to are asking themselves: Why am I doing this? Why am I getting paid like a civil servant to be constantly harassed?” said David Becker, executive director of the nonpartisan Center for Election Innovation and Research that helps support election officials. “Whether it’s the intent or not, the effect is to drive a lot of these public servants — upon who we’ve relied for decades in some cases — out of the field, which will leave elections more vulnerable than they’ve been before.”

'I am putting you on notice — for treason!'​

Buckingham County is rural and conservative; there are more cattlethan registered voters.

The allegations (of election irregularities) — minor or not — quickly consumed the community.

Electoral board meetings, historically sleepy affairs drawing one or two members of the public, quickly became packed and contentious events.

After that, Sheriff W.G. “Billy” Kidd Jr. said he started assigning deputies to the meetings.

The board members now face the difficult task of restaffing an office they’ve worked with for mere weeks. Cerwinski was appointed to the electoral board ahead of the March 10 meeting; Banks-Bertwell took up her position in January. The electoral board’s most experienced member, Democrat Gail Braxton, recently stepped down as well.

At the most recent meeting of the Buckingham County Electoral Board in late March, Braxton said the board had completed an investigation into the issues Christian raised and found no violations of law. Several days later, she resigned from the electoral board.

“The next [registrar] will have zero experience. The board won’t have any experience. I would say at least half of the officers of elections are going to quit,” [a former boardmember] said, referring to poll workers. “Who’s going to work the election?”

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw this on local news in Rockingham County a few minutes ago. It's ridiculous. Old grumpy grandparents are acting like their grandkids in America today. And they have the audacity to say Trump didn't have a detrimental effect on America. Trump emboldened nut buckets to be great again!

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is the red hat playbook. Harass elections officials until they quit and then replace them with election deniers.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the red hat playbook. Harass elections officials until they quit and then replace them with election deniers.

Add in total lack of institutional knowledge on how things need to be run legally and you have a situation ripe for actual fraud.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
These are the folks that train the volunteer election officers that do the grunt work on the day of the election. There is also always a few volunteers that have been working elections for years who can answer 90% of questions from staff and voters. I worked the elections for 2018 and 2020. 2020 I was only one of 2 Democrats in one polling station because Virginia law requires one member of each party for certain activities such as carside balloting and signing off on sealed ballots at the end of the day. The community is heavily Republican and while most people were very polite, there were some folks wearing MAGA gear that were hostile towards all the poll workers.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are the folks that train the volunteer election officers that do the grunt work on the day of the election. There is also always a few volunteers that have been working elections for years who can answer 90% of questions from staff and voters. I worked the elections for 2018 and 2020. 2020 I was only one of 2 Democrats in one polling station because Virginia law requires one member of each party for certain activities such as carside balloting and signing off on sealed ballots at the end of the day. The community is heavily Republican and while most people were very polite, there were some folks wearing MAGA gear that were hostile towards all the poll workers.
I'm a bit surprised the MAGA hats were allowed in a polling place, since they were hats distributed by one of the Presidential campaigns and that clearly "advertise" a particular political viewpoint. From what I recall, the states I've lived in forbid "electioneering." In my current state, the law says, "During the voting period and inside this protected area, it is prohibited to electioneer, including expressing preference for or against any candidate, measure, or political party." "Electioneer" in that "protected area" (100 feet from a polling location) includes both visual (signs, clothing) and verbal.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a bit surprised the MAGA hats were allowed in a polling place, since they were hats distributed by one of the Presidential campaigns and that clearly "advertise" a particular political viewpoint. From what I recall, the states I've lived in forbid "electioneering." In my current state, the law says, "During the voting period and inside this protected area, it is prohibited to electioneer, including expressing preference for or against any candidate, measure, or political party." "Electioneer" in that "protected area" (100 feet from a polling location) includes both visual (signs, clothing) and verbal.
Voters can wear whatever. Here in VA, the parties' campaign booths have to be at least 40 feet (Im going off of memory) from the polling station entrance.

D. The provisions of subsections A and C shall not be construed to prohibit a person who approaches or enters the polling place for the purpose of voting from wearing a shirt, hat, or other apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears or from having a sticker or button attached to his apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears. This exemption shall not apply to candidates, representatives of candidates, or any other person who approaches or enters the polling place for any purpose other than voting.

Don't you love legalese?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Voters can wear whatever. Here in VA, the parties' campaign booths have to be at least 40 feet (Im going off of memory) from the polling station entrance.

D. The provisions of subsections A and C shall not be construed to prohibit a person who approaches or enters the polling place for the purpose of voting from wearing a shirt, hat, or other apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears or from having a sticker or button attached to his apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears. This exemption shall not apply to candidates, representatives of candidates, or any other person who approaches or enters the polling place for any purpose other than voting.

Don't you love legalese?
I find it interesting that it would appear to require poll workers to know who is a "representative of candidates." It seems much smarter and easier to create a blanket ban on political clothing at a polling place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“Whether it’s the intent or not, the effect is to drive a lot of these public servants — upon who we’ve relied for decades in some cases — out of the field, which will leave elections more vulnerable than they’ve been before.”

“The next [registrar] will have zero experience. The board won’t have any experience. I would say at least half of the officers of elections are going to quit,” [a former boardmember] said, referring to poll workers. “Who’s going to work the election?”

Virginia county stumbles in the first election after its conspiracy-fueled staff exodus

Buckingham County started Wednesday morning as the only county in Virginia that had not reported unofficial election night results to the public.

Earlier this year, local Republicans pushed baseless allegations of voter fraud, which eventually drove four people to quit their jobs in Buckingham County's elections department. The conflict shook the community and threatened future elections: Many longtime poll workers said they would not work the polls again. A resident who had made claims of voter fraud was hired as a replacement registrar, then fired shortly after amid controversy.

The missing results Tuesday night spurred concerns and frustration in the community, residents said in interviews.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0