New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to share some homeschool tips during this pandemic for those new to homeschooling. Feel free to add more tips. If there is a better forum for this thread, I apologize. I did not see a homeschool forum. I hope these can help someone. I picked these tips up from different curriculum guidelines, seminary classes, Christian counseling courses, Sunday School teaching, and 9 years of homeschool experience. May the Lord bless us all during these tough times!

Homeschool Tips: ‍‍‍‍✌
1) It takes time to get into a homeschool groove.
2) It's a bits and pieces game. Not everything will be learned at once and that's ok.
3) Approach homeschool with the intent of building mutual respect with your kiddos. You are on a journey together after all. Hold to your authority without being overly authoritarian.
4) Give and take breaks liberally. Your kids know when they need a breather as do you.
5) Curriculum modifications are acceptable and often necessary. Use the curriculum. Don't let it use you.
6) Chosen curriculum has to work for both you and your kid. If either you or your kid can't stand the curriculum, it will be an uphill battle. Don't do that to your family.
7) Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know. Let's find out together."
8) Kids won't remember every lesson but they will remember if they were loved.

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is very useful!
I already homeschool my two but thanks. And I agree. It is pretty much a trial and error sort of thing really. I keep lessons short and to the point always too. We are at the stage where I do a hour of teaching them basic skills using play as a motivational tool. What could be better? I also have begun using a abacus in math class as well.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks for tips!

remote learning lesson plans sent to school issued chrome books which kids are used to working on @ school

parent's role is supportive only per principal
no teaching for parents as any questions go to teachers who can be emailed any time by students

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks for tips!

remote learning lesson plans sent to school issued chrome books which kids are used to working on @ school

parent's role is supportive only per principal
no teaching for parents as any questions go to teachers who can be emailed any time by students

I'm relieved. Parents on my Facebook news feed had been stressing. I'm glad schools have been able to help parents ease into an elearning environment at home. I had years to decide educating at home. I cannot imagine the transition bumps some parents are facing.

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
These are some of my favorite sites to use.

I use this website a lot www.corbettmaths.com. It is good for skill and exam practice and has lots of fun yet challenging worksheets according to the ability of the individual pupil as well. I love the videos. What could be better? I love that you have the option to print out worksheets to use at home or during class too. Best for skill practice in my opinion.
And this one is good for all pupils too- www.mymaths.com. The website contains lots of questions for children of all ages and abilities that really make them think. Both sites are recommended highly by me. It is full of easy and hard math questions. I am not stressing either.
Alternatively you can search Amazon for educational textbooks. There are lots out there for families.

Upvote 0

asteroidtempo

Sep 5, 2021
LA
✟7,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everyone's homeschool looks different. Some of the general things that have worked for us:
- keep food nearby
- give the kids autonomy, in big and small ways - give them say in the order of subjects, let them choose supplies, etc.
- get outside
- take advantage of outside the home resources - field trips, museums and zoos, etc.
Another point is that you don't need a full 5-6 hours of learning time when you're homeschooling.
Sometimes if we can't get our daughter to understand a topic, we'll take a break for coloring Coloring Pages For Kids - Print for Free, and Color Online (new pages are added regularly). I wouldn’t say it’s educational in the traditional sense, but doing coloring as a kid and while growing up is a big reason that I’m a creative, adventurous, imaginative person as an adult.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another point is that you don't need a full 5-6 hours of learning time when you're homeschooling.

daughter did district's online school for 6th grade

started at 7:30 am, lunch break about 11:30, finished about 1:30 or 2:30...sometimes went 'til 3 pm

how can homeschooled kids finish in less time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0