Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘Missionary priesthood is an opportunity to be part of building a future for our faith and ultimately,’ he says, ‘for the people of God who live in the rural and often forgotten parts of the United States.’

A native of Schenectady, New York, and part of a large Catholic family, Father Neil Pezzulo has taken his Catholic faith to a level of service to an impoverished community. A member of the Glenmary Home Missioners, Father Pezzulo serves in rural Union and Grainger Counties, Tennessee.

As part of his service as a priest and to help others, Father Pezzulo selected a mission to feed the hungry and provide hospitality. This mission, he said, is simple: “It comes down to the Gospel of John: ‘Do you love me? Feed my sheep.’ We can offer food, hospitality and sharing our Catholic faith as part of our mission,” he said.

Not surprisingly, Father Pezzulo also cooks.

“No, my mom did not teach me to cook,” he said, “however she did teach me how to make French toast, but that was all. I just picked up cooking techniques when I worked in restaurants as a teenager, washing dishes, making sandwiches and doing some prep cooking. Mostly I taught myself because I was hungry. I looked at recipes and made up recipes as I went along. Italian food is easy because you can just add meat and vegetables. And I love making the traditional American Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and mashed potatoes.”

In fact, he added, such a feast offers a sense of thankfulness at the table, so Father Pezzulo prepares and serves Thanksgiving dinner several times a year.

Continued below.