✟23,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Andrew Murray, Holy in Christ, 1887
"There is God dwelling in light inaccessible, a consuming fire of Holy love, destroying all that resists, glorifying into its own purity all that yields. there is the Son, casting Himself into that consuming fire, whether in its eternal blessedness in heaven, or its angry wrath on earth, a willing sacrifice, to be its food and satisfaction, as well as the revelation of its power to destroy or save. And there is the Spirit of holiness, the flames of that mighty fire spreading on every side, convicting and judging as the Spirit of burning, and then transforming into its own brightness and holiness all it can reach.
The Holy One is the Righteous God, a consuming fire. Cast yourself into it, that all that is sinful may be destroyed. As you lay yourself upon the altar, expect the fire, and yield your members unto God as instruments of righteousness."

(Those are such a power packed two paragraphs; they need no expounding, no elaboration. I feel to try would be to do that word a disservice, for it stands by itself as an anointed word from the LORD).

George Fox, 1657,
"When all my hopes in them, and in all men were gone, so that I had nothing outwardly to help me, nor could I tell what to do, then, O! then I heard a voice which said "There is one, even Jesus Christ, that can speak to thy condition," and when I heard it, my heart did leap for joy. Then the Lord did let me see why there were none upon earth that could speak to my condition, namely, that I might give Him all the glory.
For all are concluded in sin and shut up in unbelief as i had been, that Jesus Christ might have the pre-eminance, who enlighten, and gives grace, faith, and power. Thus when God doth work, who can let it? And this I know experimentally. My desires after the Lord grew stronger, and zeal in the pure knowledge of God and of Christ alone, without the aid of any man, book, or writing. For though I read the Scriptures that speak of Christ and of God, yet I knew Him not by revelation, as He who hath the key did open, and as the Father of life drew me to His Son by His Spirit."

(That's EXACTLY how I got saved almost 40 years ago, without even having a Bible, nor having read from one in at least 4 months - probably longer. Nor had anyone recently witnessed to me or preached to me. Yahweh the Father by His Spirit revealed Christ Yeshua: Jesus to me by direct communication in the dark of night, and thus I confessed and repented on the spot, and in tears of the godly sorrow and gifted repentance.
For as our Saviour had told Peter when confessing "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God," that, "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my father which is in heaven." (Matt.16:16-17) Likewise, Paul received the Gospel, not by man, but by revelation of Jesus Christ, and went up to Jerusalem by revelation (Gal.1:11-12 & 2:1-2) Also 1 Corinthians 2:10, that the deep things of God are revealed by his Spirit.)

Also to be said of Fox in the mid 1600s:
"For Christians to meet together in order to go through a stated form of service, was at once to cramp the outpouring of the heart to God, and to interfere with the Holy Spirit in His direction of the utterances of Christs ministers. When they met in silence, each could speak to God what was in his heart, and each could hear in his spirit "what God the LORD would speak;" and if anyone was "moved" to declare any truth, the way was clear. Thus Christ was owned practically as a present Lord, and the Holy Spirit trusted as a real and practical guide. They read in their New Testaments that when the saints met together, all the gifted might prophesy one by one as anything was revealed to them; and that each might contribute to the service his Psalm or Thanksgiving, or hymn of adoration, or edifying doctrine." - THREE APOSTLES OF QUAKERISM, POPULAR SKETCHES OF FOX, PENN AND BARCLAY, by B. RHODES, 1886

(They felt the apostacy of churches interfere with the rights of private Christians, and the claims of the Holy Spirit by the "One man Ministry." 1 Corinthians 14:29-33 and Colossians 3:16 do attest to this, and true Christianity, or "Primitive Christianity" as some call it, operates in this way; Sadly most modern churches in the 2020s do NOT!
These Quakers of the 1600s were clear that ANY revelation MUST align with the Scriptures, and that some eventually went astray, letting the pomp of the world and desires for power or attention to creep in - even as many today go astray claiming false revelations that are doctrines of devils, preaching another Gospel and another Jesus, other than that which the Apostles received and proclaimed, falling to the beguiling of an angel of light whom satan himself transforms into to lead astray unlearned and unstable souls. Search the Scriptures if these things be true. Amen)

Just wanted a footnote here: I'm a Messianic Christian. I may quote from a number of very old sources, but I align with no "denomination". I attend an independent Baptist church. I've read Wesley & Whitefield, who are Methodist, Jonathan Edwards, who is Congregational, JC Ryle who was an Anglican Bishop, CH Mackintosh who was Plymouth Brethren, and so on. AW Tozer of Christian Missionary Alliance has some great writings. Here I've quoted Murray of the Dutch Reformed Church, and Fox who was one of the founders of the Quakers.
I look for what is confirmed in the Spirit as witness to the truths of God. Above all, these men preached holiness and repentance: a thing much lacking today even moreso than it was in their day. And in their day they felt society was in a dreadful way of sin. What would they think now if God allowed them a peek at our world, at our nation???

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
This goes along with the topic:

Andrew Murray Holy in Christ 1887
"The holiness of God in Christ becomes holiness IN YOU, because this Spirit is in you. The words and the divine realities they express, HOLY and SPIRIT, are now inseparably and eternally united. You can only have as much of the Spirit as you are willing to have of holiness. You can only have as much holiness as you have of the indwelling Spirit..
There are some who pray for the Spirit because they long to have His light and joy and strength. And yet their prayers bring little increase of blessing or power. It is because they do not rightly know or desire Him as the HOLY Spirit. His burning purity, His searching and convicting light, His making dead the deeds of the body, of self with its will and its power, His leading into the fellowship of Jesus as He gave up His will and His life to the Father - of all this they have not thought the Spirit cannot work in power in them because they receive Him not as the HOLY Spirit, in sanctification of the Spirit."

(Wow, that is just so right on spot. It's what's missing, and the following dives even deeper. These things I know to be true by experience of them, or as they often said in the 15th century, experimental, as in having personal experience with, as in an experimental knowledge of Christ.)

"At times, in seasons of revival, as among the Corinthians and Galatians, He may indeed come with His gifts and mighty workings, while His sanctifying power is little manifest (1 Cor. 14:4, 13:8, 3:1-23, Gal. 3:3, 15-16) But unless the sanctifying power be acknowledged and accepted, His gifts will be lost. His gifts coming on us are but meant to prepare the way for the sanctifying power within us. We must take the lesson to heart; we can have as much of the Spirit as we are willing to have of His holiness. Be full of the Spirit, must mean to us, Be fully Holy."

Upvote 0