Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone have any thoughts on any Holy week masses and services (Remember, Good Friday doesn't feature a mass- the only day of the year that no Eucharists are concecrated [Though sometimes pre-consecrated hosts are distributed, but does have a gathering at church that I'm going to go ahead and call a service]) they may have attended or be planning to attend? Anyone have any interesting local, family, or personal traditions surrounding this week of the Catholic calendar?

Reactions: Shiloh Raven

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Every Easter, my family in Italy create 'standard' traditional food. No meat, nope, none at all but to replace that to match with the pasta and other members of the feast they would make an omelet. But there is a catch: this omelet consists of roughly 27 eggs - the appearance of a miniature UFO and height of an inch...or two.

Boy do I eat hearty every time I go down there!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Holy Week is totally different for me this year. Normally, I would be serving Thursday, Friday and Saturday but this year I'm serving none. As usual, my mom has come down for Holy Week as she has done since I was confirmed 14 years ago.

We went to our large sister parish last night. It was a little strange not having to remember any special instructions, but I enjoyed the service and especially being able to relax in the pews with my wife. We both sort of missed the hominess and intimacy of our home parish, a lot of being Catholic means belonging to a concrete faith community, but then again, I didn't miss some of our goofier liturgical practices.

Tonight we plan on attending my boss's parish for a singing of the Lord's Passion and Adoration of the Cross. It's beautiful parish in the foothills.

It looks like we're going to skip the Vigil altogether, which will also seem weird. We'll probably take mom on Sunday to the Benedictine convent to celebrate Easter with the sisters. Again, a very beautiful, and traditional church.

So, while on one hand I feel a little strange and adrift from my home parish, on the other hand, I'm taking full advantage of the rich Catholic tradition within my larger Catholicville community.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My plans for Easter Sunday is not a Catholic tradition, but it is a tradition for me and my family. We have always been together for the Easter morning service, so I decided to continue our tradition. I will join my family for the service at the church they attend. My oldest daughter is coming home for Easter, so I want to be with her there too. I am a little apprehensive about going, but I think everything will be okay.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the Catholic calendar, if I may ask, Fish?

Really what I'm referring to is more properly called a liturgical calendar.

Essentially, the secular year is divided up into religious seasons like Lent, Easter, Advent, and Christmas. During each liturgical season, some of the priest's vestments and altar paraments (cloths, dressings) have a proscribed color emphasis (purple in Lent, white and gold in Easter [Which is, yes, a specific Sunday, but also a seven week or so season following], as examples) that is only deviated from for specific feasts (For example, the feast of Pentecost and the color red supersede the usual use of green during Ordinary Time, which it otherwise is a part of) and for specific persons who have a color associated with their office (Cardinals have red hats, for example).

Each of these seasons also has a specific emphasis that is reflected in the mass. For example, in Lent, which is about the days leading up to Jesus' crucifixion, and lasts about 45 days, we see that story emphasized, as well as things with similar theological meanings, like the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert at the beginning of his ministry and the Israelites' 40 years wandering in the desert. In Lent, the Gloria, an upbeat prayer or hymn of ancient providence that is normally part of the mass, is suppressed (Not used), and the word "Alleluia" is not used in the mass texts or hymns during that time. Other seasons have their own emphasizes and changes.

In this way, the Church goes through the cycle of Christ's life in each calendar year, and also goes through the eras of the People of God from creation to the end of time in another more subtle sense.

There is also a lectionary, which is a series of readings used on a given Sunday, and even a given weekday at every Latin Rite (Western church, not necessarily using the Latin language- would normally be in English or Spanish in the US) mass that day (With exceptions sometimes for optional or local feast days). These readings are carefully selected to match the tenor of the season, or specific feast days.

Instead of using the same readings every year, the Church has a three-year cycle of readings, so though the same seasons and feast days repeat on a one year cycle, you don't get the same exact readings at mass on the same day of every year (You get the same ones once every three years)- with certain exceptions, like Christmas (Christmas is actually an exception in several ways- first that it has the same readings from year to year, but secondly that it's readings are different depending on whether you go to an early Christmas Eve mass, a midnight mass, or a mass Christmas morning- the midnight mass readings are the best, although in the US a poetically lacking translation is used for the passage from Isaiah). If you were to take the 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time in the summer, though, and look at the readings at Sunday mass, they would match the 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time 3 years prior or 3 years hence. Of course, universal and local feast days can supersede the normal readings and colors, and sometimes because the date of Easter varies, there can be different permutations of just how many Sundays are in a season and just where certain feast days fall relative to Sunday).

Anglicans and Episcopalians follow a similar system. Lutherans do as well, but to a much lesser extent. And then some Methodists will sort of sometimes occasionally pay attention to a little bit of this stuff some of the time in some places. ;) By the time you get to more Protestant-y Protestants, like Baptists, Sunday is just Sunday and there are no special colors, customs, readings, or anything like that- it all becomes what the local pastor wants to have done and read and talked about. Catholicism is much more into a religious cycle of time that manifests in masses and other commemorations in tangible ways (As are select Protestant groups, but not all of them).

The Eastern Orthodox, and Eastern Catholic churches in communion with Rome, have a separate liturgical calendar, but of course with some overlap, because they come from different traditions, but ones with common roots as Latin Rite Roman Catholicism.

This is by no means a complete overview, just the general "gist" of things. It's far more complex when you really drill into it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This has been an unusual Holy Week, partly because Easter is so late this year that it coincides with the last two weeks of school, although we still managed to get a late blizzard!
Mainly, though, for the first time in my time with the Orchestra, Holy Week coincides with concert week, and multiple extra rehearsals, including the last one this morning before our concert tonight.
That's made for a few less services, and means that we'll be attending Sunday morning mass instead of the vigil.
However, there's something spiritual about playing music in a group. .everyone doing their own part and it all coming together into one.
We are playing the Russian Easter Overture tonight in our program...wonderful piece!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We went to a Good Friday service at my boss's parish last night. Beautiful church. The Passion of our Lord was sung. Fantastic. It was a moving and solemn service.

After two nights in really big churchy-churches my soul is stirred once again at the magnificence of this Catholic faith. I'm really enjoying getting out of the parish and seeing how other parish's celebrate these most sacred day.

We're going birding this afternoon up on the mountain so we're going to miss the Vigil for the very first time. I'm so grateful that I've been spared the debacle that will be going on at my home parish. Tomorrow we'll get up early and celebrate Easter with the Benedictine nuns. They have the prettiest church in Catholicville and, of course, my wife and I just love the sisters.

Upvote 0