Holy Spirit and Tingling Sensation: Is It Wrong to Feel the Burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psykes

Follower of Christ
Dec 6, 2016
United States
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow that's so cool you did too and encouraging for me. Thanks for sharing that. I pray God blesses you in unexpected ways to grow your faith.

I think sometimes if we went to the ocean and scooped up a handful of water that would be like what God allowed us to know of him compared to he ocean.

Thank you for your blessings!
Stay safe with God always!

Reactions: Spiritlight
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
N
✟17,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." Matt 6:22

Means to be aware of what we're looking at and guard what you're exposing yourself to.

What does "third eye" mean to you?

• Agree
Reactions: Spiritlight
Upvote 0

Psykes

Follower of Christ
Dec 6, 2016
United States
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." Matt 6:22

Means to be aware of what we're looking at and guard what you're exposing yourself to.

What does "third eye" mean to you?

I see it as me dreaming.
Dreaming while awake.
Not as that...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi There . You added commas whien (sp) you went for the godly deity who knows that you exist; commas which slowed your prayer like hands clasped . And no; you requested an answer .
I think for social media anything passes as long as you get the general drift of what's said.

I know myself in a busy life I don't have much time or interest in fluffing around with grammar checking trying to participate on a smart phone comuting between tasks.

Upvote 0

Child_of God

Mar 2, 2017
Australia
✟15,206.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Spiritlight

Don't be discouraged or confused about what people are saying.
I to had some doubt about manifestations of Holy Spirit. When you fall into deeper relationship with Jesus then you see that it is Holy Spirit.

I get the heat, tingles and electricity feelings in my hands as well and sometimes in my feet. Plus other things as well. I'm not boasting. Just wanting to help where I can and set you up for what God has for you.

So question is, What are you going to do with the power you have received? From what you have explained Jesus may want you to co-labour with Him. Have you tried praying for people to heal?

I know I have the Holy Spirit and not the fake one. I have witnessed things in Jesus name leave people. If people want to contest that, then the Scripture is clear in Mark 3:20-30.

Mark 3:20‭-‬30 NIV
Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.” And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.” So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.” He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.”

If you want some help understanding please let me know.

I wish you well with your journey. Remember it is not by our strength, but through Christ Jesus all things are possible.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Often, when laying hands on others, or simply reaching towards them, you can feel the current. When praying alone, you can also feel this sensation, though only when very deep in prayer. This feeling symbolizes a closeness of you and the Holy Spirit. It is His divine presence that you are feeling. He is showing you that he is there, he is listening, and he cares. Take care, love. I wish you the best of luck in furthering your prayer life. Have a blessed day :)

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

This is an old thread but you are still here and I know how lonely this can make someone. There is also so little about this on the net that I think it's good it contain more information for anyone else that grazes the web for it.

Yes, I experience this. The first time was while singing a hymn.

My experience is this. It starts as a small vibration that turns into a heatless flame as it moves out from my chest to my head, then down my arms and then legs. The sensation is like many tongues of fire leaping upward out of my body. Think of a flame on a candle wick only hundreds of wicks each with a flame. There is a wind as well which allows me to "feel" the tongues of fire moving throughout my body. The skin of the area it moves through develops goosebumps but you are not cold. You can even feel it moving through the inside of your head where there is no sense of touch. One way to imagine it is if you could imagine fire being semitangible and then standing in it where it moves through your body but doesn't burn or feel hot.

The closest name I have found for it is ASMR. It's not ASMR but you can sometimes find people that experience something similar by that name. Unfortunately I have no answers on this, I have searched and searched but haven't gotten anywhere with it. God had a stranger come to me about it a long time ago with a message..."you have an intensity". But that was it. They were so nervous speaking that message to a stranger that I fear they missed some part. Or maybe it was just meant to verify what I already knew. Sometimes though, the most important thing you want to know is just that you're not alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've heard of the Spirit Baptism feeling like "electric currents" in some. The descent of the Spirit upon me always feels like slowly having warm oil pour over me. As for the tingling sensations, no, can't say as I've ever heard that, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The apostle James in the book of the New Testament bearing his name writes of "the wisdom that is from above," that is, from God, and the wisdom that is not from above but is "earthly, sensual, devilish." (Ja. 3:14-18) The word "sensual" has taken on a largely sexual connotation these days but James meant it to convey the idea of "appealing to and/or stimulating the physical senses." Earthly, devilish "wisdom," James says, appeals strongly to our physical senses. When I consider his words in light of what I've read in this thread, I am reminded again of how many perfectly sincere Christians are pursuing a sensuality in their faith that is not from above but is earthly and even devilish. What is really remarkable (and horrifying) is that the more sensual the faith of these believers becomes, the more spiritual, the more godly, they think their faith to be!

The only place in Scripture one finds anything paralleling the modern sensual "experience" of the Spirit is in the descriptions of those who are demon possessed. Electric shocks, hysteria, convulsions, being thrown to the ground, physical injury - none of these things have any appearance in Scripture in relation to the moving of God's Spirit among believers. But we can read of such things in the Bible in relation to the demonic:

Mark 9:17-22
17 Then one of the crowd answered and said, "Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit.
18 And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not."
19 He answered him and said, "O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me."
20 Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth.
21 So He asked his father, "How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, "From childhood.
22 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."

I have seen almost identical things happen among modern believers who have pursued a sensual experience of God. They call it being "slain in the Spirit," or "getting the Holy Ghost." Whatever they may claim, I suspect what they are getting is not from above at all but is, as James said, earthly and devilish.

The sensual pursuit of God has taken on a very grotesque character these days. So much so that it is baffling to me that believers cannot recognize the demonic in it. "Toking the Spirit," or being "drunk in the Spirit," or "soaking in the Spirit," are all modern ways of making the Christian faith a highly sensual experience. And when believers stoop to such carnal attempts at spirituality the ugliness of their conduct is extreme (as well as enormously blasphemous!). It is hard to describe how icky this stuff is. If you're ignorant of these awful practices but curious, you can find examples on YouTube.

You may not go in for the outrageous Benny Hinn slain-in-the-Spirit foolishness or the grotesque John Crowder Spirit-toking garbage but you're headed in that direction when you start to desire and pursue tingles, shocks, warm oozies, and what-not in an attempt to experience God. And, again, there is not a single verse in Scripture that urges believers to do so. The Bible tells us what an experience of the Spirit is like: He convicts of sin, He illuminates God's truth to us, He comforts, He makes us more like Christ, He forms in us the peaceable fruit of righteousness (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, etc.) No where, though, are we told that the Spirit slays, or makes drunk, or tickles us with tingles, shocks, or warm fuzzies.

Instead of appealing to our sensual side, the Bible tells us God is first of all appealing to our minds:

Romans 12:2
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Philippians 2:5 (NKJV)
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,

Romans 7:25 (NKJV)
25 I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:5-6 (NKJV)
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Be very, very wary, then, of anyone who urges you to a more sensual experience of God. "This wisdom descends not from above but is earthly, sensual, devilish." (Ja. 3:15)

Selah.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When God's Spirit is "touching me" He is convicting me of sin, illuminating my mind to divine truth, transforming my character, and bearing the peaceable fruit of righteousness in my life. This is what the Bible says the Spirit does in the life of a genuine believer. It says nothing at all about shaking and trembling and whatever other sensual experiences a person may wrongly attribute to God.

Selah.

• Agree
Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think we need to be careful about identifying something as ungodly because it hasn't happened to us or doesn't look right to us. In Scripture, it's pretty clear that Yahweh communicates in a variety of ways - anyway, He chooses. Then folks react in numerous ways such as:
-at the burning bush, Moses trembled "When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, 32 Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold." Acts 7:31-32
- 2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."
-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
-"They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sanoy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.