Holocaust - Sacrificing ones life

Elisha_7

Christ Has Risen!! Praise the Lord!!!
Apr 12, 2005
✟8,116.00
Faith
Messianic
Shalom everyone, I wonder if you all get mad and angry of what happened to our jewish people when you hear shocking stories of what happen to them? Does everyone here have a good in depth knowledge of what occurred during the holocaust? More then just gas chambers, war and that 6 millions jews that died. As you investigate each individual lives and find out how they got killed for standing up against and evil regime your heart breaks! Mine has over a few weeks just researching and becoming aware of the cost and lost of a few individuals..

CORRIE TEN BOOM:
Dutch Christian
Righteous Among the Nations
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10006914

Corrie Ten-Boom The secret Room - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3i71G-A1g

David Faber polish jew lost his entire family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Faber_(author)

to listen the files are about 20megs so hope you can listen to it!
Talk from Focusonthefamily

it is very graphic and very emotional

Surviving the Holocaust part 1 David Faber
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/radio.aspx?ID=%7B4EBE4FEC-35B5-47E5-B632-46CCC5261849%7D
Surviving the Holocaust part 2 David Faber
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/radio.aspx?ID=%7BA128BE11-041E-4DE5-BA9E-3223B44880D8%7D
Surviving the Holocaust part 3 David Faber
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/popups/media_player.aspx?MediaId=%7BE3FDCCCF-0C68-47C2-B366-FEAD6F5B1AEB%7D

A GERMAN STUDENT WHO STOOD UP AGAINT THE NAZI!!

Now many of you have heard of Sophie Scholl but she was a german luthern student and died 22 years of age. Died by guillotine! :( Crime? Delivering pamphlets about the oppression of the Nazis!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose

Some picture: Its very sad seeing their faces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkoJgPkFoDs&feature=fvsr

Book on Sophie Scholl
Sophie Scholl: The Real Story of the Woman who Defied Hitler

Movie:
Sophie Scholl - The Final Days 2006 - DVD

The White Rose: Munich 1942-1943 by Inge Scholl.
Dear, dear Sophie, your fate has already been decided. After a few minutes you come back, pale and very upset. Your hand trembles as you begin to read the bulky indictment. But the further you read, the calmer your expression becomes, and by the time you reach the end, your nervousness is dispelled. "Thank God," is all that you say. Then you ask me whether I can read the document with impunity, without risking some unpleasantness. Even in this hour you do not want anyone to risk danger on your account. You dear, pour soul, how I have come to love you in these last few days!

These words fall like bludgeon blows on all of us. We are stunned to learn that three good, innocent persons have to die because they dared to rise against an organized band of murders, because they wanted to help to end this senseless war. I should like to scream these things at the top of my lungs, and I have to sit there silent. "Lord, have mercy on them, Christ, have mercy on them, Lord have mercy on their souls," is all I can think. The minutes stretch to an eternity. I want to push the hands of the clock ahead, faster, fast, so that the heaviest task will be behind you. But one minute creeps slowly after the other.

The prison guards reported: "They bore themselves with marvelous bravery. The whole prison was impressed by them. That is why we risked bringing the three of them together once more – at the last moment before the execution. If our action had become known, the consequences for us would have been serious. We wanted to let them have a cigarette together before the end. It was just a few minutes that they had, but I believe that it meant a great deal to them. 'I didn't know that dying can be so easy,' said Christl Probst, adding, 'In a few minutes we will meet in eternity.' "Then they were led off, the girl first. She went without the flicker of an eyelash. None of us understood how this was possible. The executioner said he had never seen anyone meet his end as she did.

Would you lay down your life?
Would you like Sophie lay down your life? Honestly for me when I first thought of it, I said I was a coward and I would run! Lose my life? Dreams? I was terrified of the implications. Though I think when the time comes you really do need the Lords help to say I am going to stay even if I lose my life!

But if we say we Love Yeshua and are His disciples when people flee and you see that you can help in some way small or big. Then we need to seriously think of staying and helping if we can. It’s a decision that you need to think about when the times comes.

But apart from dying to save a life and to be a hero for standing up against evil. Even now today are we willing to stand for the Gospel Truth and fight for it! From those who twist it, change it meaning, other faith attacking it?

It is just as important cause it’s the spiritual and if you love Yeshua you would try to help them see the Truth of God's Word. Just as Yeshua and the disciples did in their days. Cause when they know the Truth from the lies they won't be able to be deceived by leaders who say they are the messiah or do wonderful miracles to get you to follow them.

So though they might not be any war today and things are peaceful in our western country things are still dark spiritually and we need to be bold and take a stand against this and not turn a blind eye to it or just join in with others who are willing to compromise with a false hope that this will bring peace.

We need to seek out what is Biblically True and what is false and help those who have been led astray. This is also just as important as saving a life! We just do not realize it. The Lord uses you to help them come out of spiritual darkness and also that their souls be save from Hell. You are helping them not fall into the spiritual enemies hand!! So this is one of reasons why it is as important as saving ones life and standing up against evil.

On a note for Jews some might be hesitant to believe in Yeshua since they think that it came from the western world. Or that they would lose their Jewish culture and be very westernize. And they are many more issues on this. But when a Jew realizes the Truth that Believing in Yeshua is not a western concept their life will be forever change when they finally understand what the Gospel is all about!

So do not be afraid to seek the whole Truth and nothing but the truth! Read reliable trusted books, research, seek and you the Lord will show you the answers!

Instead of just laying back and accepting any point of view that sounds nice! Even those who believe investigate the claims about Yeshua so they can get the facts. They are called Apologetics and they examine the evidences! Not like the cults who says you can't read anything opposes our view, anyone who oppose are wrong. Believer who seek the Truth are not afraid to be question about their faith. They talk about it discuss it just like Dr Micheal Brown a messianic jewish scholar.

But you don't need to be an academic to do this you still can, just get interested in apologetics and Biblical theology and seek out the truth! Like Dr Brown, William Craig an apologetic and many others.

Learn what the Truth is so you don't take up a false view and can helps others…

Anyway thanks for reading so much! and hope you too affirm what I have said and be inspire to defend God's Truth from those who want to change it and tear it down!

104px-Star_of_David_yellow.png

Remembering the Jews who lost their live during the Holocaust, survivors too and praying for them that they come to know Yeshua and that when they come to Him He will forgiven them of their sins.

Pray for them on this!!!! May our hearts reach out in Love for the Jews and not forget them!! Not turning them into gentiles but into children of Yeshua our Lord and God!

-------------------------------------------------------
Defending God's Truth from deceptive and twisted lies!
www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com
Apprising Ministries

Messianic Questions and objections
Askdrbrown.org

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The best thing you can do is go talk to survivors or to their descendents (but....don't
go and try to convert them).

Their stories are heart breaking.....one member of our congregation lost his eleven brothers and sisters, as well as his parents and much of his extended family.
Another one was shipped in a cattle car to one of the camps, which was stopped before it got there and the entire car machine gunned. He was the lone survivor and lost a leg. I've met many people whose entire families were wiped out or nearly wiped out. Go and speak to these people, learn, and remember

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
The best thing you can do is go talk to survivors or to their descendents (but....don't

Their stories are heart breaking.....one member of our congregation lost his eleven brothers and sisters, as well as his parents and much of his extended family.
Another one was shipped in a cattle car to one of the camps, which was stopped before it got there and the entire car machine gunned. He was the lone survivor and lost a leg. I've met many people whose entire families were wiped out or nearly wiped out. Go and speak to these people, learn, and remember

That's right!! Just love them. And most of them, amazingly, you will not find bitter and unfriendly. I would deem it an honor to sit at their feet and learn much from them.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Absolutely! A very close friend of mine originally came from Lithuania. Her dad was a little boy and yet still found it hard to seek asylum in the UK in spite of what was going on in Europe. This surprised me as - of course - the history we were taught at school painted Britain as a more morally standing country at the time and not one who turned so many people away to their deaths.

I don't think she has any other surviving members other than her siblings.

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maximillian Kolbe a Priest who volunteered himself to die in the place of a fellow Auschwitz prisoner. This prisoner was a Jewish man called Franciszek Gajowniczek. He attended the ceremony proclaiming Maximillian a Saint of the Church.

During the Second World War, he provided shelter to refugees from Greater Poland, including 2,000 Jews whom he hid from Nazi persecution in his friary in Niepokalanów.

On 17 February 1941, he was arrested by the German Gestapo and imprisoned in the Pawiak prison. On 28 May, he was transferred to Auschwitz as prisoner #16670.

At the end of July 1941, three prisoners disappeared from the camp, prompting SS-Hauptsturmführer Karl Fritzsch, the deputy camp commander, to pick 10 men to be starved to death in an underground bunker in order to deter further escape attempts. When one of the selected men, Franciszek Gajowniczek, cried out, "My wife! My children!", Kolbe volunteered to take his place.

In the starvation cell, he celebrated Mass each day and sung hymns with the prisoners.
He led the other condemned men in song and prayer and encouraged them by telling them they would soon be with Jesus and Mary in Heaven. Each time the guards checked on him, he was standing or kneeling in the middle of the cell and looking calmly at those who entered. After two weeks of dehydration and starvation, only Kolbe remained alive. The guards wanted the bunker emptied and they gave Kolbe a lethal injection of carbolic acid. Some who were present at the injection say that he raised his left arm and calmly waited for the injection.

He is now a Saint of the Church and listed as Righteous among Nations by Yad Vashem.

maximilian-kolbe.jpg

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
Maximillian Kolbe a Priest who volunteered himself to die in the place of a fellow Auschwitz prisoner. This prisoner was a Jewish man called Franciszek Gajowniczek. He attended the ceremony proclaiming Maximillian a Saint of the Church.

During the Second World War, he provided shelter to refugees from Greater Poland, including 2,000 Jews whom he hid from Nazi persecution in his friary in Niepokalanów.

On 17 February 1941, he was arrested by the German Gestapo and imprisoned in the Pawiak prison. On 28 May, he was transferred to Auschwitz as prisoner #16670.

At the end of July 1941, three prisoners disappeared from the camp, prompting SS-Hauptsturmführer Karl Fritzsch, the deputy camp commander, to pick 10 men to be starved to death in an underground bunker in order to deter further escape attempts. When one of the selected men, Franciszek Gajowniczek, cried out, "My wife! My children!", Kolbe volunteered to take his place.

In the starvation cell, he celebrated Mass each day and sung hymns with the prisoners.
He led the other condemned men in song and prayer and encouraged them by telling them they would soon be with Jesus and Mary in Heaven. Each time the guards checked on him, he was standing or kneeling in the middle of the cell and looking calmly at those who entered. After two weeks of dehydration and starvation, only Kolbe remained alive. The guards wanted the bunker emptied and they gave Kolbe a lethal injection of carbolic acid. Some who were present at the injection say that he raised his left arm and calmly waited for the injection.

He is now a Saint of the Church and listed as Righteous among Nations by Yad Vashem.

maximilian-kolbe.jpg
in the interest of precision... Mr. Gajowniczek was not Jewish.

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
What was his denom/faith?
Roman Catholic. It's also not true(contrary to the Wiki entry) that he was involved in helping Jews. Mr. Gajowniczek was a soldier, taken POW in '39 during the Polish campaign. Wanting to continue the fight he decided to join Polish formations being reconstituted in France and UK. He was arrested trying to cross into Hungry and as an escaped POW he was sent to Auschwitz-which at the time was a Pole-only camp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Roman Catholic. It's also not true(contrary to the Wiki entry) that he was involved in helping Jews. Mr. Gajowniczek was a soldier, taken POW in '39 during the Polish campaign. Wanting to continue the fight he decided to join Polish formations being reconstituted in France and UK. He was arrested trying to cross into Hungry and as an escaped POW he was sent to Auschwitz-which at the time was a Pole-only camp.

He says he is Jewish. His family say they are Jewish. Vad Yashem says he is Jewish. The Israeli government say he is Jewish.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

It was a Pole only camp. It included Jewish Poles, Catholic Poles, Gypsy Poles etc.

Gajowniczek was arrested for aiding the Jewish Resistance. There is more than one witness who attests to this.

I got my information from the Jewish Virtual Library.

Maximilian Kolbe (1894 - 1941)

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
He says he is Jewish. His family say they are Jewish. Vad Yashem says he is Jewish. The Israeli government say he is Jewish.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

It was a Pole only camp. It included Jewish Poles, Catholic Poles, Gypsy Poles etc.

Gajowniczek was arrested for aiding the Jewish Resistance. There is more than one witness who attests to this.

I got my information from the Jewish Virtual Library.

Maximilian Kolbe (1894 - 1941)
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. Mr. Gajowniczek's KL Auschwitz # was 5659 from September 8, 1940. A very low number. Before Auschwitz-Birkenau became the killing factory for the Jews, it was a concentration camp for Poles(political prisoners). There was no active,organized resistance in Nazi occupied Poland in 1940. How do I know that? I know the history of the country I grew up in. How do I know Mr. Gajowniczek was not Jewish? Neither his mother nor father were Jewish. How do I know he was not pinched for helping Jews? From his OWN testimony maksymilian.wikidot.com/swiadek.

Here's Mr. Gajowniczek in his own words "I was brought up in an atmosphere of the Catholic religion, I kept my faith in the worst times, religion was my only hope. The sacrifice of Father Kolbe only magnified my religiosity and attachment to the Catholic church(...)"

I have been to KL Auschwitz(Oswiemcin) and Blok 11 many times and am pretty familiar with the subject. I don't want to derail this theread, but as I said- in the interest of precision...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. Mr. Gajowniczek's KL Auschwitz # was 5659 from September 8, 1940. A very low number. Before Auschwitz-Birkenau became the killing factory for the Jews, it was a concentration camp for Poles(political prisoners). There was no active,organized resistance in Nazi occupied Poland in 1940. How do I know that? I know the history of the country I grew up in. How do I know Mr. Gajowniczek was not Jewish? Neither his mother nor father were Jewish. How do I know he was not pinched for helping Jews? From his OWN testimony maksymilian.wikidot.com/swiadek.

Here's Mr. Gajowniczek in his own words "I was brought up in an atmosphere of the Catholic religion, I kept my faith in the worst times, religion was my only hope. The sacrifice of Father Kolbe only magnified my religiosity and attachment to the Catholic church(...)"

I have been to KL Auschwitz(Oswiemcin) and Blok 11 many times and am pretty familiar with the subject. I don't want to derail this theread, but as I said- in the interest of precision...

From what I have read, some Polish priests would baptize Jewish people and create paperwork showing the Jewish family as actually being Catholic, to protect them from the Nazis.

Could this be what happened?

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Below is what is actually written. He never actually says he is Catholic. He says Fr Kolbes example helped his own religiosity and that he felt a connection to the Catholic Church that made such heroes.

Brought up in an atmosphere of Catholic religion, his (Fr Kolbe) faith in the hardest moments kept, religion was to me then the only lever and hope. Victim Father Maximilian Kolbe compounded even my religion and attachment to the Catholic Church that is born of such heroes.

Do you seriously think that Vad Yashem would get it wrong? Or do you have your own bias?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
Below is what is actually written. He never actually says he is Catholic. He says Fr Kolbes example helped his own religiosity and that he felt a connection to the Catholic Church that made such heroes.

Brought up in an atmosphere of Catholic religion, his (Fr Kolbe) faith in the hardest moments kept, religion was to me then the only lever and hope. Victim Father Maximilian Kolbe compounded even my religion and attachment to the Catholic Church that is born of such heroes.

Do you seriously think that Vad Yashem would get it wrong? Or do you have your own bias?
Of course Vad Yashem makes mistakes-it's testimony and eye witness driven organization. Biased against what, my own people? Maximilian Kolbe was a righteous man no matter what. Do you think that by insisting erroneously that he gave his life for a Jew somehow adds to the drama or makes it more significant? Anyway. I don't want to argue this any further, especially after you want to tell me, a native speaker of Mr. Gajowniczek's language, what he actually said. He knew what he was saying and we, his compatriots, understood him.

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
From what I have read, some Polish priests would baptize Jewish people and create paperwork showing the Jewish family as actually being Catholic, to protect them from the Nazis.

Could this be what happened?
No, not in 1940. What you describe was common later in the war and it applied primarily to Jewish children. An act of baptism was usually not enough without outside help. That was provided by an undergroud organization called ZEGOTA(Polish Council to Aid Jews) which was founded in 1942 and did not really get going 'till 1943. They provided false papers, financial assistance and foster care, etc. When professional soldier, Mr. Gajowniczek, was arrested he was simply on his way to France to join the Polish army in exile as thousands of other Poles did. BTW converted Jews were not spared. I personally knew a lady who converted before the war to RC and married a Catholic. She and 4 of her children ended up in Rovne ghetto while her husband was left alone.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
After googling Mr. Gajowniczek, it seems there is confusion about his faith. Half the entries say he was Jewish, half say he was not.
But I think the important thing is to remember sacrifice M. Kolbe made, not the religion of the man he saved.
I had never heard of M. Kolbe, it is a fascinating story so thank you for posting it.

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
After googling Mr. Gajowniczek, it seems there is confusion about his faith. Half the entries say he was Jewish, half say he was not.
But I think the important thing is to remember sacrifice M. Kolbe made, not the religion of the man he saved.
I had never heard of M. Kolbe, it is a fascinating story so thank you for posting it.
The problem is that with the exception of the most prominent stories, we never get to hear about Holocaust rescue. The price of failure was so high that only the most righteous would ever attempt it and having done their duty they'd never talk about it. The stories that we do know, are the unsuccessful rescuses where the all involved were murdered or from the survivors' testimony. It's too bad, really.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course Vad Yashem makes mistakes

...but, those who try to minimize the contribution of Gentile Christians in helping the Jews don't?

To my mind, the Vad Yashem decision is the right one. Just because one is Roman Catholic does not mean that they are not Jewish. To Hitler and the Nazis it was a matter of DNA, not religion. Case in point: Edith Stein

Honestly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0