✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
I have many Christian friends, colleagues, neighbours etc. Nice people, I love them. However, one side of them I notice which is I think isn’t that great is that Christianity makes them feel superior. We hold the truth, we are chosen, we are the saved ones, we are the children of the Highest King, we will be in heaven, we are the righteous etc. etc. Jesus, on the contrary, always teaches humility and to hold others in higher esteem than yourself. Jesus also teaches not to take credit for the good you do openly as then you miss receiving the reward for it from God. How come? Why is Christianity so puffed up when Jesus teaches us not to be?

Last edited:

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's just the stubbornness of human self-centeredness. I can hear the words about how everything good in me is a gift from God, and how every one of us is in God's image, and how the last shall be first, and I nod and smile. But there's a part of me that really wants to organize humans into a hierarchy, with me pretty near the top.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello.
I have many Christian friends, colleagues, neighbours etc. Nice people, I love them. However, one side of them I notice which is I think isn’t that great is that Christianity makes them feel superior. We hold the truth, we are chosen, we are the saved ones, we are the children of the Highest King, we will be in heaven, we are the righteous etc. etc. Jesus, on the contrary, always teaches humility and to hold others in higher esteem than yourself. Jesus also teaches not to take credit for the good you do openly as then you miss receiving the reward for it from God. How come? Why is Christianity so puffed up when Jesus teaches us not to be?

Christinas don't consider themselves superior ... anyone can choose to become a christian.

No, Christianity does not teach to hold others in "higher esteem" ..... it does teach to be humble, follow the Lord and to love one another.

It's all about Jesus and what He did/does .... we have no credibility of our own.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

Well some of what you say is true:

Christians do have the Truth, the only truth.
Christians are the Chosen.
Christians are the saved ones.
Christians are the children of the Highest King.
Christians will be in heaven (no one else will be)

So that I don't disagree with.

Becoming a Christian doesn't automatically make a person perfect. It's an impossible standard that most of the unbelieving put on Christians that if a Christian makes a single mistake it means Christians as a whole are bad people, as is being presented in this OP. No one is perfect, no one will ever be perfect on this planet.

Now Christians do have the Holy Spirit who enables us to live a more perfect and holy lifestyle, if we as believers choose to obey Him. Some do, some don't unfortunately. If you bought a bag of apples and one out of the bag was less than desirable would you throw the whole bag away? Probably not. If I watch the nightly news and see a homicide report where a person from a specific ethnicity murdered someone else, are we going to automatically label every person from that ethnicity as being murderers? No. So it's a bit harsh to say Christians as a whole are puffed up and full of themselves (superior) when there are large numbers of Christians who are absolutely beautiful people to be around.

I suggest you look outside your immediate neighbors if you feel they are less than holy. Christianity is a world wide thing and just like you wouldn't judge every book by its cover, or every person by their race we shouldn't label Christianity as one way or the other because of a few bad apples.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
Beloved one, if you say you love your Christian friends, speak the teaching of Jesus to them, that they may be delivered and pray for their true deliverance.

May your mercy comfort them, and your compassion pleases them, that you show mercy as the Lord shows mercy and find favor in the sight of God.

May God’s peace be with you. Amen

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have many Christian friends, colleagues, neighbours etc. Nice people, I love them. However, one side of them I notice which is I think isn’t that great is that Christianity makes them feel superior.
Well, Jesus is superior to Satan; so it is possible for someone to be superior to someone else. Part of why Jesus is so superior is because Jesus is so humble.

So, is it possible, then, that if I am humble with Jesus, this makes me superior to conceited people??

In case it does, I note with interest your list of what you think makes Christians feel superior >

We hold the truth, we are chosen, we are the saved ones, we are the children of the Highest King, we will be in heaven, we are the righteous etc. etc.
Ah-hah . . . you did not put "we are humble" on the list! :)

Even the disciples whom Jesus chose could have their way of getting into fights about which one of them was the greatest. But they were Jesus Christ's disciples.

And being with Jesus is certainly superior to being with Satan and in sin. But in case we are really with Christ, we need to be humble about this.

And you can be with Jesus, by being humble . . . so now you can be a good example to help others.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hello.
Hmmm...depends on the person and their perception. I think that also depends what Christian tradition they come from. If they come from a classical Calvinistic POV, they might think they are the elect and God has predestined them. That just my opinion.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

But all the things you say your friends believe are true of themselves is what the Bible says is true of them. God, in His word, tells them they are holders of His divine, eternal truth, that they are part of the Elect in Christ, that they are saved forever, adopted children of God Almighty. And through them, God holds out the same awesome things to anyone who will come in repentance and faith to Christ, receiving him as Lord and Savior.

It is not humility to deny what one is, or to pretend that one is less than one actually is, but falseness and delusion. Do we say to the person who is taller than we are that they ought to deny their greater height, to slouch down, perhaps, and in humility act as though they are shorter? Do we say to the stronger person, "You ought to be humble and carry on as though you are just as weak as I am!" Of course not. Why, then, should a Christian not delight in the new identity and blessings they have obtained in a relationship with God through Jesus? Why should they "hide the light" of who they are in him? Why should they act as though they are not adopted, redeemed, "new creations in Christ"? Doing so would be false, a lie, not humility.

Now, plain egotism, arrogance, ought to be absent from the Christian person. They have nothing of which to boast in-and-of-themselves. But sometimes they are called "arrogant," or "puffed up," not because they actually are, but because those accusing them of being so are just annoyed at the truth and joy of their relationship with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James_Lai, you perceive Christianity right with it's call for humbleness, but that is a hard character trait for man's nature to oblige. Still, it's easy to misinterpret a Christian's confidence in understanding life's purpose, world events, and moral objectivity with an attitude of arrogance or superiority. One needn't follow the other.

In my own experience of being an outspoken Christian, I've found that unbelievers in general don't like my Biblical world view that distinguishes so strongly between right and wrong. Anything I say that suggests religious truth or certainty is often taken as offensive, closed minded, arrogant, and haughty. No doubt, it's a life time process of learning how to present or share such truths in a tactful, gentle, humble fashion. Unfortunately, though I try and improve with age, I'm confident I'll never appease everyone because they simply don't like the message.

In any case, you must judge Christianity based upon the faith's evidence, not upon the flawed followers. I encourage you to pursue the search diligently, and once you get there, you'll probably be less offended by your Christian friends' attitudes. Know though, that you'll inevitably realize new objectionable things they say or do.

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello.

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less,” - C.S. Lewis

Righteousness and holiness are good things and are never referred to negatively in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why is Christianity so puffed up when Jesus teaches us not to be?

Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Walking by the Spirit

free pdf
http://christianpioneer.com/ebooks/wbts.pdf

web pages for cell phone
Christian Pioneer - Current blog

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello.

Maybe Christians believe they have "the truth" about The Truth?

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hello.
I have many Christian friends, colleagues, neighbours etc. Nice people, I love them. However, one side of them I notice which is I think isn’t that great is that Christianity makes them feel superior. We hold the truth, we are chosen, we are the saved ones, we are the children of the Highest King, we will be in heaven, we are the righteous etc. etc.

While I don't deny that there are probably plenty of puffed up, self-righteous Christians who think that their professed religion makes them superior to the rest of the unbelievers-- as many of the Pharisees were in Jesus's own day--we should also avoid conflating conviction with pride. In a culture that's increasingly puts emphasis on inclusivity and equality, doubt becomes a virtue, and the very idea that a particular world view or truth claim should be more "true" or "valid" than any other is seen as repugnant. This line of thinking doesn't actually hold water if you give it more thought, but I won't argue about that here.

Jesus, on the contrary, always teaches humility and to hold others in higher esteem than yourself. Jesus also teaches not to take credit for the good you do openly as then you miss receiving the reward for it from God.

Jesus teaches us to love our neighbours as ourselves. To love others is to desire and pursue for their greatest good, even if they don't see it as such. Think of it this way: if you see a loved one living in a destructive lifestyle (e.g. laziness, addiction, criminal activity, etc.), would it be more loving to try and turn them away from all of that and help them to live a more fulfilling life, or to leave them where they are because we don't want to be accused of "cramp their lifestyle"?

Or, as Amy Carmichael wrote in her book, If: “If I am afraid to speak the truth lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, "You do not understand", or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other's highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.”

How come? Why is Christianity so puffed up when Jesus teaches us not to be?
Because our hearts are "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9), and as the Israelites did after God made a covenant with them in Sinai, we as Christians are not immune from falling into the trap of thinking that God's favour is an indication of our superiority rather than a display of His infinite mercy.

This is why the heart of the Gospel is that you can't somehow earn salvation by "pulling yourself up by your spiritual bootstraps", but that God himself has to come down to our lowliness through Jesus to lift us up. And even as believers, we are still sinners, in constant need of God's grace, to carry out the good we want to do, and resist the sin nature still inside us (Romans 7:15-20). We are not perfect, nor could we ever hope to be in this life.

But in Christ who had won victory over sin and death, we have hope that in the final days, all our weakness and corruption will be raised in strength and glory (1 Corinthians 15:42-58), and it is our hope that everyone can come to Christ and share in that promise.

God bless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

littlestar777

May 26, 2022
Silicon Valley
✟19,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hello.

Personally feel More on individual state of mind. May I know where is that ? Normally big city have this issue especially small n cramp one like HK n SG.
Not only about Christianity, is anything they do is always right. The food, the song , the movie , the job

U need to listen to them n they always right. If u would ask me is more about anxiety behaviour. Too rush in doing something. When u r rush, mistake comes easily.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,139.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello.
However, one side of them I notice which is I think isn’t that great is that Christianity makes them feel superior.

Often when a narcissistic person 'becomes a Christian' they become a narcissistic Christian.

The importance of being transformed by the renewing of the mind (Romans 12:2). God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums