Hodge's Systematic Theology

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jtbdad said:
Greetings my Calvinist Brothers!

Is anyone here familiar with Hodge's Systematic Theology? I would welcome your opinions.

Thanks for any help
Yes, i've read all three volumns. What are your particular questions or difficulties with the work?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Calvinist Dark Lord said:
Yes, i've read all three volumns. What are your particular questions or difficulties with the work?

What I have is the annotated one volume. I am wondering if it is a good exposition of Reformed Theology? Hodge was I believe the dean of Princeton Seminary which is Reformed correct? I find his Theology very easy to read and understand and I just can't believe that it is as simple as he makes it sound (TULIP) I have never before read as simple an explanation that was still scholarly. Is he representative of Reformed Theology?

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
the last thing I remember buying in Christian literature was the Charles Hodge three vol set . Very good!!

I really like AA Hodge Systematic theology BOT (it was the first book that had questions and answers , objections and rebuttals that I had read , I always feel something warm inside reading this book it was meat in due season )

I also rate the Berkhof BOT Sytematic Theolgy .................it's just a pity that sometimes they are too pithy :D

Strangely I have referred to these three works quite a bit just recently! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jtbdad said:
What I have is the annotated one volume. I am wondering if it is a good exposition of Reformed Theology? Hodge was I believe the dean of Princeton Seminary which is Reformed correct? I find his Theology very easy to read and understand and I just can't believe that it is as simple as he makes it sound (TULIP) I have never before read as simple an explanation that was still scholarly. Is he representative of Reformed Theology?
Princeton was at that time the center of Reformed Theology in the United States. A great number of Reformed Theologians were at that institution. The most noted would probably be B. B. Warfield.

Hodge's work is still used in many reformed seminaries. You might have a slight advantage in having the abridged edition. Please allow me to explain.

Hodge wrote as an highly educated man of the 19[sup]th[/sup] Century. While his work can still be understood today, it does require one to slow down, and concentrate. It also takes for granted skills that modern people may not possess.

For example: Hodge does not simply translate the past theologians and Church Fathers that he quotes, he quotes them in their original language.
:help:

One would need a working knowledge of Greek, Latin, German, and French to make sense of the citations of those men. Those quotes were probably translated in the abridged edition.

All in all, Hodge's work demonstrates that "...There is nothing new under the sun" in that the most relevant heresy extant in today's churches found their genesis centuries before. The combination Governmental/Moral Influence theory of the Atonement of Charles Finney finds it's genesis in Grotius...incidentally, Hodge is very critical of the work of Charles Finney, and rightfully so.

My only real critique is that Hodge is (probably for simplicity's sake) quite rigid in his categories. A good example would be his critique of trichotomy as a valid anthropological model. Were Hodge's categories on that subject the only possibility, i'd tend to agree with him, but there is some "wiggle room" on the subject.

Still and All, Hodge is an excellent starting point for the student of theology. The work is quite well rounded.

Upvote 0