Florida
✟325,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There’s a Bible quote that roughly says - be happy with what you have. I collect toys. Is it a sin to collect things?

Thanks

No, it is not a sin to collect toys. But it could become sinful if you become obsessed with it and value your collecting hobby more than anything else. If you ever find yourself choosing to buy toys rather than spending your money on necessary expenses you have probably crossed that line.

Reactions: BrokenLoner
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There’s a Bible quote that roughly says - be happy with what you have. I collect toys. Is it a sin to collect things?

Thanks
I hope not! I collect art, books and ephemera. But I do resell for extra income.
BTW, what you have is exactly what it means, what YOU have. Scripture is speaking of coveting what others have that you can not have. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟82,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks
The Bible does encourage contentment and gratitude for what we have, but it does not necessarily equate collecting things with sin. Here are some relevant verses that might help answer your question, brother:

1. "But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." - 1 Timothy 6:9-10

This verse warns against an unhealthy obsession with wealth and material possessions. Collecting toys, in itself, is not a sin, but if it leads to greed, hoarding, or neglect of more important things like family, relationships, and spiritual growth, then it could become a problem.

2. "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:19-21

This verse emphasizes the importance of storing up treasures in heaven rather than on earth. It's a call to focus on spiritual things and not let material possessions consume our hearts.

3. "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." - 1 Timothy 6:6-8

This verse encourages contentment with the basic necessities of life – food and clothing. It's a reminder that we should be grateful for what we have and not covet more than we need.

4. "And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." - Matthew 22:37-40

This verse stresses the importance of loving God and loving our neighbors as ourselves. It reminds us that material possessions should not come before our relationship with God and others.

TLDR: Collecting toys is not a sin, but it's essential to ensure that the pursuit of collecting does not lead to greed or neglect of more important things like our relationship with God and others. As long as we remain content with what we have and remember to prioritize the things that truly matter, then collecting can be an enjoyable hobby.

Upvote 0