Not open for further replies.

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For me, those terms are often misused and mishandled.

I believe the Bible is the word of the living God and is truth.

However, if someone didn't believe that, I'm not so sure I would marry them.

For myself, I'd prefer to be on the same spiritual plane with someone. A spiritual connection between man and woman is a very good thing because marriage between man and woman is a spiritual union and belongs to God.

So, for me, I'd probably say "no"

If I didn't have a spiritual connection or like-mindedness with my fiance', I think our relationship wouldn't be as wonderful as it is, and I think I'd feel empty if I didn't connect to my mate on spiritual matters.

Upvote 0

HeavenzAngel

Far Away
Sep 30, 2006
✟2,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could you imagine a marriage between Bishop Spong and Anne Coulter?

It could happen....

I think its possible, Some fundsmentalist are very understanding and can see beyond themselves to accept and love someone with different beliefs. I feel they can have a strong relationship, if its with the right people.

Upvote 0

lilymarie

Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, it depends, but I'm going from my own personal experience in the dating game... and once we realized we did not connect spiritually, the relationship did not grow and we parted ways.

So, for me, it's vital to connect on a spiritual level.

In the "dating game" I found if the person I was dating and I did not connect on a spiritual level, we soon learned it was just a passing attraction. There was nothing to build a relationship on other than the physical attraction itself.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is an interesting question to me because if very personal.

My wife and I married and we both were close to the fundamentalist view of Christianity. Over the years as I've read and studied my Bible, life and history I find I've been viewing my fundamentalist attitute as being closer to the Pharisees than to the ways Jesus lived his life.

I've not changed who I believe Jesus to be or that I think the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Therefore I don't think liberal is the right word to describe my belief's how. But I find the verses that talk about mercy, not judging, loving my neighbor is not hurting them, we are to live our life by grace not by the law, that inappropriate contenteia isn't every sexual act one can think of that might harm someone if they don't take responcibility for their life and some other things are more meaningful that verse that take the attitude that the Bible is law and you'd better obey them even if it means hurtng till you shed blood. A reference to the Hebrew verse that say you've not resisted sin to the point of sheding blood yet.

So I have no problem with my wife viewing the world from the fundamentalist point of view. But she's having a whole lot of problems with me not being a Pharisee any more.

As you know, this is my point of view and not my wife's. If you think of it say a quick prayer for my wife. Thanks
dayhiker

Upvote 0

lilymarie

Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is an interesting question to me because if very personal.

My wife and I married and we both were close to the fundamentalist view of Christianity. Over the years as I've read and studied my Bible, life and history I find I've been viewing my fundamentalist attitute as being closer to the Pharisees than to the ways Jesus lived his life.

I've not changed who I believe Jesus to be or that I think the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Therefore I don't think liberal is the right word to describe my belief's how. But I find the verses that talk about mercy, not judging, loving my neighbor is not hurting them, we are to live our life by grace not by the law, that inappropriate contenteia isn't every sexual act one can think of that might harm someone if they don't take responcibility for their life and some other things are more meaningful that verse that take the attitude that the Bible is law and you'd better obey them even if it means hurtng till you shed blood. A reference to the Hebrew verse that say you've not resisted sin to the point of sheding blood yet.

So I have no problem with my wife viewing the world from the fundamentalist point of view. But she's having a whole lot of problems with me not being a Pharisee any more.

As you know, this is my point of view and not my wife's. If you think of it say a quick prayer for my wife. Thanks
dayhiker

Sure, I'll pray for your wife.

However, I truly doubt you were ever a Pharisee.

The devil wants to trick your mind, so cast down wild imaginations like the Bible says, and just trust God.

There is peace in the word brother. I'm sure you are just fine; however, we all humble to one God, not ourselves.

Also, I truly think "loving" our neighbor is more along the line of showing them respect. Respecting them, as we'd like to be respected. It's doing unto others as we would have done unto ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.