HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in an American Baptist church and learned nothing of calvinsim or reformed theology. I spent several years in a nondenominational ministry which left me thirsting for the "details" which I felt weren't being covered. About a year ago I picked up a book by Keith Mathison on the Reformed doctrine of sola scriptura, and that was my introduction to Reformed theology. It's been a slow process wich has been picking up speed lately. I learned nothing more about Reformed theology until about a few months ago when I began investigating orthodox protestantism and church history more, partly as a result of Chrisitan Forums. I bought a copy of Calvin's "Institutes" and more recently RC Sproul's Chosen by God and Faith Alone. Those books, especially Chosen by God really helped me figure some things out. Today I consider myself a Reformed Christian and really feel at home with Reformed theology. It just makes so much sense, its amazing. It's like a light was turned on and I can see everything clearly now. That's why I like the Latin phrase post tenebras lux "after darkness, light." It not only sums up the Reformation, but also my spiritual journey in a way. I've been to an RCA church once which was very contemporary, and a CRC which was more traditional. I'll probably check out some more Reformed and Presbyterian churches before I settle on one. Personally I prefer a more traditional service with hymns rather than bad contemporary chrisitan music; which I guess is kinda odd for a 20 something gen Xer. :)

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
HopeTheyDance said:
I don't know if I fit here. My church denomination is Reformed (RCA) and my congregation holds to many of the Reformed theology - especially Covenant Theology (it is beautiful), but I, myself, am not Calvinist (not completely anyway). Having said that - I would love to post here, but do not know whether I would fit in.

Sure come on down , We will simple put you on the rake till you cry uncle **Grin**

Perhaps you will come to love the comfort that is Calvinism .

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was "converted" to Calvinism after a two year debate with Calvinists on the internet.
One day I opened my bible and asked myself how I could have missed it.

I have been a Calvinist 2 years and I just took membership in the Bible Presbyterian church .

My Church

http://www.armorbpc.org/

They are premil , I am A mil ...but they love me anyway..

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
rmwilliamsll said:
i found http://www.newlifeopc.org/pastoralstaff.htm
is Pastor Miladin still playing classical piano?
Yes he is still playing classical piano. He plays at the evening service Sunday and midweek prayer meetings Wednesday nights and he does occasionally travel and play.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vessel Of Mercy

May 10, 2004
Topeka, KS
✟15,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. I just came to the forums. I am a member of a Southern Baptist church that is Reformed doctrinally. The church is closely tied with and just a few blocks down from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Louisville, Kentucky. I've been a Calvinist as long as I've been a Christian, God was so gracious to lead me to know Christ under the leadership of a godly Calvinist man. It's great to be here with you all!

Ben

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Vessel Of Mercy said:
Hello, all. I just came to the forums. I am a member of a Southern Baptist church that is Reformed doctrinally. The church is closely tied with and just a few blocks down from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Louisville, Kentucky. I've been a Calvinist as long as I've been a Christian, God was so gracious to lead me to know Christ under the leadership of a godly Calvinist man. It's great to be here with you all!

Ben
:wave: Great to have you here Ben!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
II Paradox II said:
Just figured I'd start off the first thread here with a roll call... who all is in here and what is your affiliation?

I am a reformed baptist, though I also have Lutheran and Presbyterian sympathies. Kind of an odd combination, but it seems to work =)

ken
Member of a United Reformed Church.

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Gabriel said:
He hasn't been as active as he usually is. I saw him in the Non- Denom forum the other day.
Hmmm. I guess he must just be more busy than usual with other things or something. He's always been an asset to the board in my opinion. Oh well!

Upvote 0

wobbly

child of God
Jul 5, 2004
Central Coast,NSW
✟239.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi,

Allow me to introduce myself.

I grew up going to the Salvation Army who are arminian, with Wesley holiness teaching/emoting. But I had the good fortune to have parents who taught me to know and love the bible and to think for myself (probably a mixture of nurture, nature and predestination acutally). They are Acts 28 dispensationalists and were Salvation Army ministers. They believe that God predestines those who are going to believe based on his foreknowledge.
Eventually I discovered an evangelical church in my neighbourhood and moved in with my family. The church focusses on bible teaching and living your life in accordance with that teaching. The teaching is reformed evangelical (I guess that means Calvinist), covenant, amil. We are strictly independent of any denomination but the church was a Sydney Anglican (if that means anythingto anyone out there) plant in another diocese. Because of its independence it has been able to attract a lot of Prezzy's, Bretheren, Baptists, Salvo's and anyone else who wants to hear the bible preached. It also means we have a lot of members with different beliefs, which I find very stimulating.

My beliefs are a result of my mixed history. I've believed in Christ alone, scipture alone, grace alone forever thanks to my parents treaching. I've more recently been almost dragged into beliving predestination of salvation and there are still some issues I'm working through there. I'm still premil and acts 28 dispensationalist which makes for some interesting post sermon conversations with my ministers. I'm sure I've got some inconsistencies in my mixed bag of beliefs but I know who my redeemer is and that's what's important.

I've got a wonderful wife and three daughters.

I play the trombone too. Did you know that Luther's translations have the trombone sounding on the last day rather than a wimpy trumpet.

Its very nice to be here sharing with others of like mind.

cheers
Martin Walter

Upvote 0