History of Christian Revival and Faulted Characters in Our Shared History?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
As we record and discuss Christian history, essentially people and what God did through them, how can we justly mention the faulted characters? I mean not just sinners saved by grace, but deeply faulted characters.

Martin Luther, revived some things, not quite what I mean by revival. I refer to the gifts of the Spirit and things like God's fire, oil, living water and the power in Christ's blood... But Luther broke free from authoritarianism and revived the adult salvation experience and studying scripture for yourself. But his words also led to slaughters.

Personally, I dislike St John Chrysostom's Against the Jews.

Pope John Paul the second did some lovely things, but was unpopular because of the pedophile priest issues, although secretly, he may have changed the administration with other priests, since the last cover up, was about, forty years ago?

There is William Branham's ministry.

AA Allen, who made headway in healing the sick, but would drink alcohol, and died by suicide.

And Frank Houston, who saw many salvations and much spiritual gifting, beyond for himself, but services taken over by the congregations' vocal gifts. But he had a fault in that he was attracted to young boys.

And Benny Hinn, who seems to liberally give away the Holy Spirit, but also seems to love money.

Is there some etiquette for recording this history? Should we not write about them, or deny they were or are Christians?

Looking at John Arnott and Randy Clark, John mentions Frank Houston and his faith, and Randy writes about AA Allen loving the healing breakthroughs. And it seems even some Christians hate Frank and his company, Brian, Bobbie, Hillsong... but in Christian circles cannot, actually come out with the word "hate" in simple straight forward expression. Fearing the genuine Christians and their love. Not love some hate some.

I would like to write an account of the history of church in Sydney and also some of what we heard of and gained by visitors from afar.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟411,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Marc Fennell has done a couple of documentaries, one I think called Kingdom which addressed Hillsong and its flaws, and one called Mission which was about an art theft from New Norcia and went on to discuss problems there.

We have this treasure in pots of clay.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hillsong is still alive and well, with "... 28 locations across Australia that are youthful in spirit, generous at heart, faith-filled in confession, loving in nature and inclusive in expression. We also have services available online if you’re unable to attend onsite".

Incidentally I have had nothing to do with Hillsong but I wouldn't write them off.

As Philip_B remarked "we have this treasure in pots of clay". Actually there's a few churches around with the title "The Potter's House". That's based on the prophet Jeremiah's experience of being sent to the potter's house, but the fact remains that a potter's house is full of clay pots.

Peter denied Christ three times: St Paul originally persecuted Christians to the death; Thomas would only believe if he had visual and physical evidence; Judas betrayed Christ; and they all ran away in the Garden of Gethsemane. That's just the disciples and the thirteenth Apostle Paul.

St. Augustine fooled around with women for a long time; Constantine was a mixed bag; according to my old Presbyterian pastor "Some of the things Luther said and did weren't very Christian"; seven popes could be regarded as evil; others no doubt were incompetent; Christian killed Christian all over Western Europe in the Reformation and wars of religion which partly came about due to corruption in the church; pedophile priests got away with it for far too long in the Catholic Church (but they weren't the only ones - the Protestants had their fair share - a chap I knew was in an Anglican "boys home" with a pedophile on the loose); time after time saints who were from religious orders were persecuted by other members of their own orders; and we all make mistakes.

Upvote 0