Apr 22, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How important to you is historical accuracy when you read? I'm starting (and hopefully will finish) a novel, and I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible, but a few things are different than what really happened....such as an invented country. Here's the situation: It's post-WWII, and the Iron Curtain has descended upon Europe. Germany is split between the East and the West, and one state, one that I made up, is geographically sided with eastern Europe, but doesn't agree with the viewpoints of these nations. So, the state splits off and becomes an independent and country. The German political leaders are also different. My main problem is that I know a lot of people get upset when stories aren't PERFECTLY accurate. I just want to write a fiction novel more focused on deep characters, but it needs to be set in the post-WWII era, and I'm worried none of my ideas will be believable. What do you guys think? (I hope all this made sense...) :confused:

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it's historical fiction, it should be researched as thouroughly as possible so it will be accurate. If you get a few minor details wrong (like what color a leader's hair is), readers won't notice, I'm sure.

If it's alternate history (as it seems to be), then you should still make it as accurate as you can, except for those details you made up.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with ^her. If something is presented as real history--political situations, major party/state/country/etc. leaders, important geographical areas, etc--I get nitpickity about accuracy. If something is presented as fiction, then I'm not going to yell, "That didn't happen!" but I may yell, "That wouldn't have happened!" if it doesn't seem plausible or consistant with the rest of the real world.

Upvote 0

HeidiL

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you!!:D I do have another question unrelated to the historical stuff, though. I really like character-based fiction, so I'm trying to make them as deep and complex as I can, but whenever I make my characters complex, the story ends up getting more confusing. The extra details in the characters with motives, conflicts, etc. always seem to add extra plot-lines onto the story. Now I can hardly even remember what's happening!! What should I do?

Upvote 0

redmartian89

Mar 1, 2007
MN
✟15,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The extra details in the characters with motives, conflicts, etc. always seem to add extra plot-lines onto the story. Now I can hardly even remember what's happening!! What should I do?

It sounds to me like you have multiple plots going on at once. You don't need the traditional one-plot book.
I've read a few books that use this style, I'm even trying it out on my writing.
The question you should answer is whither or not you can (or want to) adjust to a multi-plot story.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

pastel

Lex orandi lexest credendi
Jan 9, 2005
Markleeville
✟6,186.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you!!:D I do have another question unrelated to the historical stuff, though. I really like character-based fiction, so I'm trying to make them as deep and complex as I can, but whenever I make my characters complex, the story ends up getting more confusing. The extra details in the characters with motives, conflicts, etc. always seem to add extra plot-lines onto the story. Now I can hardly even remember what's happening!! What should I do?
You may want to try an outline to keep track of the plots and sub-plots in your story, and it will help to keep them balanced.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟23,450.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
well... coming from someone who has a history degree and an all-around love of history, i'd prefer it as accurate as possible. you are allowed to take artistic license though ;) it is fiction and i do keep that in mind when i read historical fiction.

on a side note, historical films (like gladiator, braveheart, elizabeth, etc.) usually drive me crazy... but that's a whole other ball game.

Upvote 0

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As long as I know what I'm getting into when I buy the book, I'm fine with whatever is between the covers.

If it's marketed as an historical novel, then I'll expect accuracy. If it's marketed as fantasy or alternate history, then pretty much anything goes.

I'll be honest with you, if your plot's too complex for you, the author, to follow, then the reader has no chance, whatsoever. Your best bet may be to combine characters and plot points now, in the draft stage, rather than try to do it later, when your publisher demands it.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Kelly8191

Jun 13, 2007
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's fine to create fictional characters and countries set in "historical" fiction. It just has to be plausible, or your readers will be ... few.

In addition to what has already been said, I would advise you to simply be organized. You should create notes about places, characters, their timelines -- all of those details. Otherwise, total chaos results. No human can just sit down and write a complex, consistent novel without doing the hard work outside of the manuscript writing. You need consistency, and if you are writing for publication, you need to approach this as a professional. If you are writing for fun, then just have, well, fun.

Best of luck to you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless you specify that it's fantasy or an alternate history, historical accuracy is imperative, IMO. Of course, I'm gonna be a history major once school starts up again, so I AM a bit biased.;) But yeah, I write a lot of stuff involving the medieval period, or atleast with medieval tech, so knowing how things really were back then helps a lot with making your writing believable.

Upvote 0

sunstruckdream

Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
It's really up to you, you know. If you want a historically accurate story, go for it. If you don't care, then go with that -- it's your story. Just be aware that if you write in real world time (such as post WWII) and you ignore glaring historical inaccuracies, it'll tick off some readers. But again, it's your writing.

Thank goodness we writers can choose between realism and a thousand other things...

Upvote 0

HeidiL

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks so much for all the help!! I've been trying really hard to work with all the historical technicalities and it seems to be going well so far. I'm still in the planning stage, and I will be for awhile. (I'm trying out the "Snowflake Method" of writing a novel and I'm really liking it.) Thanks again, guys!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeidiL

Apr 22, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
oops, sorry. Guess I should have given reference to what the Snowflake Method is. It's a way of building the plot of your novel and your characters, starting out small. You start with a one-sentence plot summary, then you get to a paragraph, etc., until you get to the last stage of planning- a massive spreadsheet of all the little details of all the scenes in the story. It's working well for me because when I used to write, I'd just start out with just a general idea of the storyline and characters, and get stuck after the first chapter. But this allows me to work out all the details, and when I actually start writing the first draft, I'll know everything that happens in the story and I can just incorporate the creative elements of dialogue, description, etc. It's also good because I feel like I really know my characters- I know more about them than the color of their eyes, their hair color, and their general personality. I know their motives and their background and other things that make them seem real. If you want to see the whole process, go to Google and type in "Snowflake Method of Writing" and it should be the first link. This method probably doesn't work for everybody but I love it!! sorry for my long rant!

Upvote 0