His wife died fighting for the U.S., then the U.S. deported him

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Yes, he was legally allowed to stay. Yes, that is why he was being called to a court hearing to determine his status, to deport him or to give him some other status.
Just like asylum seekers who are legally allowed in while they await their court hearing.

They are not legal residents even if allowed to stay while waiting for the courts to determine if they will grant them legal resident status.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,127,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why didn't they just send him to a sanctuary city or drop him off at a bus station, that's what they are doing with illegal immigrants.
He has a home, family, and a job.

• Agree
Reactions: jkjk
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He has a home, family, and a job.
Didn't he come here illegally? Should we just forget that. I think he should get every consideration and his marriage is a big mitagating factor in my mind. It doesn't excuse his crime

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,127,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Didn't he come here illegally? Should we just forget that. I think he should get every consideration and his marriage is a big mitagating factor in my mind. It doesn't excuse his crime
Yes, he was 15 when he came here.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,127,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How did he have a job if he wasn't here legally? It isn't legal for many LEGAL foreign residents to have a job if it isn't part of their visa.
Hernandez has been his immigration lawyer.

Hernandez said Gonzalez Carranza shouldn't have been deported because on the day he was arrested, he filed a motion to reopen his case, which triggered an automatic stay of removal. Previously, his deportation case had been terminated by an immigration judge after he was granted parole in place, which allowed him to live and work in the U.S.
Deported dad whose wife died fighting for U.S. describes what happened to him

A lot of your questions would be answered by reading the article in the OP and there are others online as well.

Immigration laws are complicated, Who knew? ;)

• Agree
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hernandez has been his immigration lawyer.

Hernandez said Gonzalez Carranza shouldn't have been deported because on the day he was arrested, he filed a motion to reopen his case, which triggered an automatic stay of removal. Previously, his deportation case had been terminated by an immigration judge after he was granted parole in place, which allowed him to live and work in the U.S.
Deported dad whose wife died fighting for U.S. describes what happened to him

A lot of your questions would be answered by reading the article in the OP and there are others online as well.

Immigration laws are complicated, Who knew? ;)

I had to look up the "parole in place" benefit of a spouse of a military member. It is good for one year and purpose is to allow the illegal status spouse to apply for a green card. Considering that his wife died in 2010, why hasn't he gotten a green card and dealt with his illegal status before now? I believe he has had enough time to have completed the path to citizenship in that time. I wonder if his wife joined the military to get him this privilege and her sacrifice was wasted by him not getting his citizenship.

Parole in Place for US Military Families - CitizenPath

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,127,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had to look up the "parole in place" benefit of a spouse of a military member. It is good for one year and purpose is to allow the illegal status spouse to apply for a green card. Considering that his wife died in 2010, why hasn't he gotten a green card and dealt with his illegal status before now? I believe he has had enough time to have completed the path to citizenship in that time. I wonder if his wife joined the military to get him this privilege and her sacrifice was wasted by him not getting his citizenship.

Parole in Place for US Military Families - CitizenPath
I'm not going to speculate about this man, his wife, her death, etc. I find it highly objectionable.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm not going to speculate about this man, his wife, her death, etc. I find it highly objectionable.
Parole in place isn't speculation. Neither is the fact that he obviously doesn't have a green card or his citizenship .

And what is wrong with speculating about why this woman joined the military? I know I would have done it in order to help my husband and family. It sounds like a good option if you fall in love with someone who is not a citizen and they want to live in the US. I applaud her if that was among her reasons for joining.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,459,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So that "good people" think it is okay to come here illegally? Did the article mention if this man had a criminal record or not?

Not explicitly....but it's unlikely the judge would have granted him "parole in place" if he had a prior criminal record:

As the spouse of a soldier killed in action, Gonzalez Carranza had received what is known as parole in place, which essentially allowed him to live and work in the U.S. even though he had no legal status, Hernandez said.

He received the parole in place after an immigration judge had terminated his deportation case, Hernandez said.

Gold Star husband was deported amid hold on his removal, ICE says

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,459,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...his marriage, and the fact that he has a 12 year old daughter who has already lost one parent.

• Agree
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Not explicitly....but it's unlikely the judge would have granted him "parole in place" if he had a prior criminal record:

As the spouse of a soldier killed in action, Gonzalez Carranza had received what is known as parole in place, which essentially allowed him to live and work in the U.S. even though he had no legal status, Hernandez said.

He received the parole in place after an immigration judge had terminated his deportation case, Hernandez said.

Gold Star husband was deported amid hold on his removal, ICE says

He got Parole in Place because he was a military spouse. Where he likely didn't do anything major, it doesn't mean that he had a spotless record.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
...his marriage, and the fact that he has a 12 year old daughter who has already lost one parent.

His daughter didn't lose a father...she could have gone with him (or to him) after he set up his life in the country of his citizenship. Her death doesn't forgive his crime. It should have made him value getting his citizenship more important since she didn't have a American parent anymore.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,459,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His daughter didn't lose a father...she could have gone with him (or to him) after he set up his life in the country of his citizenship. Her death doesn't forgive his crime. It should have made him value getting his citizenship more important since she didn't have a American parent anymore.

Why would you assume that he wasn't trying to get his US Citizenship? Have you ever dealt with US Immigration? Cases such as his take years....

• Agree
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The daughter is an American citizen. She is fourteen--high school age--and has grown up and lived her whole life here. She cannot be forcibly removed, and depending on the father's situation, telling him to take her with may not be in the child's best interests. But who in their right mind thinks it is in society's best interests to remove a child's last surviving parent and the breadwinner of the family unless he is a menace to society?

I thought the goal was to prevent more people from needing government assistance, not forcing girls like this child to need it by taking away the parent who was supporting them.

Unless this guy is a danger to society, what a horrible way to treat the surviving daughter of a servicemember who gave her life for the U.S. And what a horrible way to honor her sacrifice by ripping her family apart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would you assume that he wasn't trying to get his US Citizenship? Have you ever dealt with US Immigration? Cases such as his take years....
And don't forget how expensive it is. Especially when complicated cases drag on and a lawyer is needed.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The daughter is an American citizen. She is fourteen--high school age--and has grown up and lived her whole life here. She cannot be forcibly removed, and depending on the father's situation, telling him to take her with may not be in the child's best interests. But who in their right mind thinks it is in society's best interests to remove a child's last surviving parent and the breadwinner of the family unless he is a menace to society?

I thought the goal was to prevent more people from needing government assistance, not forcing girls like this child to need it by taking away the parent who was supporting them.

Unless this guy is a danger to society, what a horrible way to treat the surviving daughter of a servicemember who gave her life for the U.S. And what a horrible way to honor her sacrifice by ripping her family apart.

There are millions of girls growing up just fine in Mexico. I didn't say "force her to go" but rather he was free to take her with him. He has a skill that should mean he can get a decent job. I believe that kids belong with their parents. If they were a military family, then chances are they would have had to move regardless of her age. Moving in high school isn't a life crisis...I did it 3 times and survived. There are also a million kids growing up without a parent who died while they were children. It doesn't afford my kids any special treatment or benefits and I am an American citizen. And WE didn't do it to him...HE failed to use his special military benefit which allowed him to become an American citizen, something a lot of illegals would like to have.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And don't forget how expensive it is. Especially when complicated cases drag on and a lawyer is needed.

How expensive is it once you have the right to live here?

I have a hard time believing that it is cheaper than remaining illegal and getting deported and separated from his child. I would have made it a priority to do with his wife's military death benefits.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

If he had a Parole in Place order and then had gotten his green card, why would it be complicated? It looks to me like it costs less than $1000 to get your citizenship.

It would only be complicated and drag on forever if he had criminal issues in his background....which means we should not keep him here just because he fathered a child here.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are millions of girls growing up just fine in Mexico. I didn't say "force her to go" but rather he was free to take her with him. He has a skill that should mean he can get a decent job. I believe that kids belong with their parents. If they were a military family, then chances are they would have had to move regardless of her age. Moving in high school isn't a life crisis...I did it 3 times and survived.
Not a single one of my friends or family in Mexico believes their kids would be better off in Mexico than in the U.S. Twenty years ago, for instance, I visited a town in Guerrerro for a wedding. Five years ago, 43 college students from that town were abducted and disappeared.

You have no idea what this guy's situation is, so you have no basis to speculate about what kind of life he can make for himself after leaving Mexico fifteen years ago as a young teenager. Hence, you also have no basis to speculate about what is in the girl's best interests.

And moving IS hard--especially when you are a teen and moving to an entirely foreign country. In fact, the military realizes this, which is why the military allows servicemembers to remain in place for their child's entire high school education, for instance.

And WE didn't do it to him...HE failed to use his special military benefit which allowed him to become an American citizen, something a lot of illegals would like to have.
You are assuming. He obviously has been going through immigration processeses, given he has a lawyer and parole in place. You make it sound like you can just snap your fingers and become an American citizen. It is WAY more complicated than that.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0