Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am reading Psalms..and throughout the bible God has made an emphasis of his name.
For example...they know my name...they call on my name...etc. He makes it quite clear he has a certain name and Psalms says the name of the Lord of Jacob...but he never reveals his name..he only talks about it.
Now, I call him Jesus, of course...but what is the the Fathers name? Jehovah? Yahweh? Yeshua?
Why..and excuse me, because I have BAD memory...but why doesn't Pslam not just say his name?
I'm so bent on knowing the RIGHT name...because I see such an emphasis to know it, and call.on it.
I'm still learning..and forgetful.

The subject of God’s name remains one of the most confusing and disputed issues in Christianity. This is partly because God has many names in Scripture. But each name that God reveals serves as an important key in disclosing His power, holiness, and desired relationship with His people. His names provide a composite picture revealing different facets of His awesome character.

A few examples of the names of God, as they appear in Hebrew, include:

El-Shaddai (Genesis 17:1, 2), which means “the Almighty God”

Jehovah-jireh (Genesis 22:14), which means “Jehovah will provide”

Jehovah-Tsidkenu (Jeremiah 23:6), which means “the Lord Our Righteousness”

Jehovah-Shalom (Judges 6:24), which means “the Lord our peace”

Jehovah-Roi (Genesis 16:13), which means “the God who sees”

El-Elyon (Numbers 24:16), which means “the Most High God” or “the Exalted One”

El-Olam (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 40:28), which means “God of eternity” or “God, the Everlasting One”

El-Berith (2 Chronicles 34:32), which means “God of the covenant”

El-Roi (Genesis 16:13), which means “God who sees me” or “God of vision”

Elohim, a plural form for deity, is used in Genesis 1:26, where the Bible says, “God said, Let us make man in our image.” This name is frequently used to support the truth of the trinity.

If we would dare summarize who God is based only on this short list of names, these titles alone would provide a wonderful revelation of the greatest being—the almighty, peaceful, high, exalted, eternal, and righteous God.

Personally I call Jesus (Jesus) and the Father (Father).

Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am reading Psalms..and throughout the bible God has made an emphasis of his name.
For example...they know my name...they call on my name...etc. He makes it quite clear he has a certain name and Psalms says the name of the Lord of Jacob...but he never reveals his name..he only talks about it.
Now, I call him Jesus, of course...but what is the the Fathers name? Jehovah? Yahweh? Yeshua?
Why..and excuse me, because I have BAD memory...but why doesn't Pslam not just say his name?
I'm so bent on knowing the RIGHT name...because I see such an emphasis to know it, and call.on it.
To try to keep it simple: The name is יהוה in Hebrew (also known as the Tetragrammaton) which is normally rendered as YHWH in our alphabet. You might notice a lack of vowels in "YHWH"--that's because there originally weren't vowels in written Hebrew, which were added to the language far later, I think centuries after Christianity emerged. But it's now generally believed that the pronunciation was Yahweh.

While some English translations render יהוה as "Yahweh" most write "the LORD" (capitalizing all letters of lord to separate it from normal usages of the word). The primary reason for this, I believe, is following the New Testament, which uses "Kyrios" (the Greek word for lord) in place of it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The answer to that question is complicated. The name, in Hebrew, is יהוה, transcribed into Latin letters that is YHVH or YHWH. It is very often called the Tetragrammaton, a word meaning "four letters", referring to the Hebrew letters of Yod, Hah, Vav, and Hah.

What makes this complicated is that we simply don't know how this name is supposed to be pronounced. You'll notice that the letters of the name are all consonants. That's because the Hebrew writing system is an abjad, a consonant-only writing system (this is what makes an abjad distinct from an alphabet, which has characters representing both consonants and vowels). So in written Hebrew there are only consonants, in ancient written Hebrew the only way to know the vowels of a written word was familiarity with the language--it could be understood from context and knowledge of the language itself. However with time Hebrew fell out of use as a living language, by the time of Jesus the common language of Jews in Palestine was Aramaic, and Hebrew had largely become a religious language, used only by the priests in the Temple, and perhaps in other explicitly religious contexts (much the way that Latin did in the later middle ages).

Following the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, Hebrew was kept alive by Jewish scholars and scribes, and it remained this way for centuries. Beginning in the late middle ages the Jewish rabbis and religious scholars wanted ordinary Jewish people to become reacquainted with Hebrew, and in order to help make it easier for Jewish people to read the Jewish Scriptures in Hebrew these scribes developed a system of vowel marks known as niqqud, dots and dashes placed usually under or above the letters of the Hebrew abjad which indicated the vowel sound to read.

This is why today we know how to pronounce most words in Hebrew, because these scribes--the Masoretes--introduced this system and also produced a standardized text of the Hebrew Bible, known as the Masoretic Text.

So it should seem pretty simple to know how to pronounce the Tetragrammaton right? Simply look at the niqqud, the vowel markers, and pronounce the name accordingly. But, unfortunately, that doesn't work. Even before the time of Jesus it had already become the practice in Judaism to refrain from saying God's name except in special contexts (such as when the High Priest entered into the Holy of Holies to make atonement for the nation on the Day of Atonement), and instead it had become more common to use substitutions, such as calling God "the Lord" (Adonay/Adonai in Hebrew), and so even in translations of the Scriptures, such as the Greek translation known as the Septuagint God's name is substituted with Kyrios ("Lord"). This is, likewise, exactly what we see in the New Testament as well, where quotes (often from the Septuagint anyway) from the Old Testament say Kyrios, Lord.

This has continued right up until the present day, and is why many practicing Jews call God HaShem, Hebrew meaning "The Name". So when the Masoretes introduced their system of vowel markers, they inserted the vowel marks for the Hebrew word Adonai, "Lord", with the four letters of God's name. Early Christian medieval scribes in the West mistakenly looked at this, and transcribed this into Latin as Iahovah, later Anglicized as Jehovah. Because the vowel marks for Adonai are (Latin equivalent) A, O, A. So when we take the four letters YHVH, the result is YaHoVaH, hence the Latin Iahovah, and Anglicized Jehovah.

What all of this means is that we simply don't know how to pronounce YHVH/YHWH. Yahweh is a very popular, but ultimately unknowable, guess. We don't know how to pronounce the name of God, and there's really no way at this time to know.

This might seem really problematic, especially with how often the Bible talks about the importance of God's name. But we must remember that when the Bible often talks about the importance of God's name, it is the understanding of God's character, of God's reputation. When in the Ten Commandments we read to not take God's name in vain, it refers to not dragging God's name through the mud by making false oaths. The name and glory of God's name is Who He is, His reputation, His honor, His character. It's not so much the literal four letters of the Tetragrammaton but what Who this God we worship is, and how what we do and say either magnifies Him or brings His honor into ill-repute because we misrepresent and mischaracterize Him.

Also, it is worth noting that because all three Divine Persons, the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, are truly and very God, God's name applies to all three Persons. Not just to the Father alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think whenever the bible talks about the name of God or Jesus it means His character. The same way we say about our 'good name'. So if I pray ' in Jesus name' I mean what I am saying is compatible with His nature and character. The people did know God's name, what His character is like. When we call on God's name, I don't think it matters what word we use, its that we are calling out to Him and depending on His nature. I don't think there's anything magical about saying 'jesus' or 'yahweh'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums