Hippotherapy as a form of Ministry

• Thread starter BubblyCurlsBugg
  • Start date
B

BubblyCurlsBugg

Hi there!! :wave: I want to become a hippotherapist! Hippotherapy is therapy using horses. Here is an exerpt from a website that tells about hippotherapy.

"Hippotherapy is a treatment that uses the multidimensional movement of the horse; from the Greek word "hippos" which means horse. Specially trained physical, occupational and speech therapists use this medical treatment for clients who have movement dysfunction.
Hippotherapy uses activities on the horse that are meaningful to the client. Treatment takes place in a controlled environment where graded sensory input can elicit appropriate adaptive responses from the client. Specific riding skills are not taught (as in therapeutic riding), but rather a foundation is established to improve neurological function and sensory processing. This foundation can then be generalized to a wide range of daily activities.

Physically, hippotherapy can improve balance, posture, mobility and function. Hippotherapy may also affect psychological, cognitive, behavioral and communication functions for clients of all ages. Clients who may benefit from hippotherapy can have a variety of diagnoses: examples include Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Developmental Delay, Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke, Autism and Learning or Language Disabilities. However, hippotherapy is not for every client. Each potential client must be evaluated on an individual basis by specially trained health professionals." (If you go to google.com, and then type in American Hippotherapy Association it will bring up their website if anyone is interested in learning more about Hippotherapy. I would post a link, but I don't have enough posts to do so yet.)

I included the website incase some of you wanted to check it out! I want to use hippotherapy as a form of Ministry to people. I feel it is a calling from God, and I realized this while I was reading the book "The Dream Giver." (My boyfriend gave it to me, VERY good book! I highly recommend it!) :D Along with working with the disabled, I want to work with people without disabilities as well, with normal horseback riding. I want to open my own ranch one day and have it be a faith-filled organization. I would find ways to include ministering to people along with having fun and learning with the horses, such as praying before riding, and teaching about God from the Bible (having a little group/individual Bible study), and I was thinking about having them memorize verses.

If anyone has suggestions on how I could incorporate ministry into the riding/therapy lessons, please let me know!! It is greatly appreciated! I was also wondering if anyone knew anything about hippotherapy, what degree in college would be helpful in attaining certification to be a hippotherapist, or just any information at all. I am in my sophomore year in college, and am a Psychology major, but if I need to change to something different, I want to do that as soon as I can. I know since I will be working with disabled children, I will need training/teachings in that area, so any helpful ideas/comments/information will be very much appreciated! I believe I can get the training needed with the horses from a ranch, but if anyone does know another way to obtain this, please let me know! :D Thank you for taking the time to read this! I know it is long!

Living for Christ,

BCB :pink:

AfricaWim

In His Service
Jan 24, 2004
Harrismith
Visit site
✟644.00
Faith
Christian
I've seen children with mental disabilities benefitting from this type of therapy and think it is a great way to minister to all children, disabled and otherwise. I can guarantee you that you will find the greatest enjoyment/blessing doing this and can only encourange you to persue the vision God has laid on your heart with vigour as in my oppinion combining these elements in helping kids is a super, super idea.
What I find so neat is that with animals and children you don't need to look for a way to "open the door" for ministry, it will all flow naturally.

Upvote 0
B

BubblyCurlsBugg

AfricaWim,

Hey there! Thank you very much for writing me back!! I really appreciate it! What type of ministry are you in? I really feel amazing with persuing God's will for my life!! There are ranches right here near my house that offer hippotherapy, and I am going to contact them to see if I can help volunteer and find out as much information as I can on how I can become a hippotherapist. I'm sure they can help lead me in the direction I need to be going in. I want to open my own ranch one day so I can run it the way I am dreaming about (being able to talk with the riders during their sessions about God and such).

Thank you AW for writing me!! I appreciate it! I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to respond to this thread! So thank you very much!! I hope to hear more ideas and comments on hippotherapy!! God Bless! :D

In Christ's Love,
BCB :pink:

Upvote 0