Hillsong in GF magazine (Girlfriend magazine)

Lori-lee

Aug 31, 2004
Perth
✟8,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
So, I was up in the staffroom yesterday, flicking thru last months magazines (they rip the covers off the ones we dont sell and put them in teh staffroom) and i came across an article on religions/churches and celebrity members. And there was Hillsong....with one celebrity (Guy Sebastien.lol) . It said the services were like rock concerts and had some Hillsong history/background a little quote about how Hillsong aims to bring ppl to Jesus etc etc, quite a positive little section.

It was a double page spread and they had a little column off to the right that was about churches that had experienced scandals and there were some of those suicide cults, and Scientology with Tom Cruise spouting off everywhere, and then there was Hillsong...again! This time about how some ppl call Hillsong 'Till on the Hill' and the pastors are rich and own lots of properties.

I'll see if i can 'borrow' it from work (they just get chucked out) and scan it in for youse.

Its good to see a teen mag looking at churches etc, i just wish it werent such a shallow piece and they'd chosen a church instead of, like, the most contentious church in Australia.lol.

ladylike

High fives and hugs!
Jan 31, 2005
Australia
✟9,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I have seen that article in a library once, I thought it was good that magazines in general are publishing articles about religion, especially Christianity.

In a issue of one of those Cosmo or Cleo magazines, they had a article with a title something like "Is God suddenly cool?". Now, coming from a magazine which endorses all types of sinful acts, this is great!

In Dolly magazine there was another article and the reader had to guess how many girls (About 8 or 9 of them, pictured) had had sex. None of them did, because they were Christians.

In Rolling Stone, I think a issue that came out earlier this year or late last year, did a double-page on Family First, Paradise Community Church and Hillsong all in one, a bit about Guy Sebastian too.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

bubblefish

used to be cat_goes_meow
Oct 23, 2004
Australia
✟34,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is interesting. Definately different from what is usually in the magazine. I dont buy them anymore, but I sometimes look through them if friends have them.
A few teen mags are starting to add articles on religion, especially Christianity. I wonder what is making them change, even though it is a good change.

Upvote 0

winglovesall

Apr 26, 2005
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
However, I think there's things that are unGodly in magazines such as Girlfriend - which my sister reads -

God created everybody differently and sometimes, we need to back away from what is cool, what is normal because there isn't anything normal.

However, having Christianity in magazines would hopefully change some people's opinion.

Upvote 0

Lori-lee

Aug 31, 2004
Perth
✟8,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
Hey, just so u know, i havent forgotten! Its "borrowed" and scanned in.....just looks so small........its hard to read the text, if i do it as a pic, photobucket will resize it. So i might do that anyways and then just type the text out.......

......watch this space. lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums