• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Highly Sensitive and can no longer enjoy video games and tv

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I'm unable to enjoy video games and tv. It's not even like "i'm over it" is more like when i play video games i feel oppressed spiritually, any games from the most innocent to shooter games to chess i can't do it. i feel dark and oppressed spiritually. The voices i normally deal with and the hallucinations i normally see are more intense and life feels more hopeless when i do those games. The problem is i'm running out of things to do when inside after work when it's night and i am very depressed. It's either live and feel ok but be bored all the time or play games and risk panic attacks and the ever ominous fear of who knows what.

Sorry if that is a lot but i just want to tell someone because this is getting not fun for me.

D
Daddibubba
Had a similar experience with both. Sitting with my wife to watch tv nags at me, as well as gaming did. Stopped gaming and am very picky when it comes to tv. I do however enjoy some of the Christian programming still. Maybe consider widening your friendship circle to include more faith centered folks to get online with or just call up. We were not designed to be alone.
Upvote 0
D
Daddibubba
To add a further note, I would seek an ear in the counseling arm of my church group to work through depression and anxiety that should definately not exist with the Holy Spirit onboard. Like I did for awhile I bucked the Spirit to the point that I felt God let go of me so I could do what I desired and that got my attention. He wants to protect us and cannot if we keep up the things He tries to protect us from.
Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm unable to enjoy video games and tv. It's not even like "i'm over it" is more like when i play video games i feel oppressed spiritually, any games from the most innocent to shooter games to chess i can't do it. i feel dark and oppressed spiritually. The voices i normally deal with and the hallucinations i normally see are more intense and life feels more hopeless when i do those games. The problem is i'm running out of things to do when inside after work when it's night and i am very depressed. It's either live and feel ok but be bored all the time or play games and risk panic attacks and the ever ominous fear of who knows what.

Sorry if that is a lot but i just want to tell someone because this is getting not fun for me.
Dear brother in Christ,

Right now, I feel the same way, I no longer enjoy television or video games, my mind and spirit can no longer endure the constant violence and bad news, it is definitely oppressing and degrading and incompatible with the christian life. I have decided to let go completely the video games. I have not decided yet with television but no more news, violent movies ever again ,we must reject the filth we see on the tv screens, it has definitely become a nuisance for me.

I have decided to exercise more and also to take back old creative hobbies that i used to love. Since I move away from the big city ( Montreal, quebec) a few years back I have not re installed my setup for stained glass.

I recently bought watercolors to prepare models to make a stained glass panel, I have chosen the model ( deer in the forest i think ) i just need to draw up the model and transfer it to the glass using grisaille technique, I used to love doing stained glass I am going back to this wonderful hobby. Since I have started exercising I feel so much better, am quieter, less stressed and better focused.

I would encourage you to take up a ( or more than one) creative hobby that you might enjoy also do exercise it is good for the body and the mind. Best of all, never forget that GOD and his son Jesus are always watching and will not let you down, they have always been there for me in the past when i was in need.

Blessings,

JFF

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Dear brother in Christ,

Right now, I feel the same way, I no longer enjoy television or video games, my mind and spirit can no longer endure the constant violence and bad news, it is definitely oppressing and degrading and incompatible with the christian life. I have decided to let go completely the video games. I have not decided yet with television but no more news, violent movies ever again ,we must reject the filth we see on the tv screens, it has definitely become a nuisance for me.

I have decided to exercise more and also to take back old creative hobbies that i used to love. Since I move away from the big city ( Montreal, quebec) a few years back I have not re installed my setup for stained glass.

I recently bought watercolors to prepare models to make a stained glass panel, I have chosen the model ( deer in the forest i think ) i just need to draw up the model and transfer it to the glass using grisaille technique, I used to love doing stained glass I am going back to this wonderful hobby. Since I have started exercising I feel so much better, am quieter, less stressed and better focused.

I would encourage you to take up a ( or more than one) creative hobby that you might enjoy also do exercise it is good for the body and the mind. Best of all, never forget that GOD and his son Jesus are always watching and will not let you down, they have always been there for me in the past when i was in need.

Blessings,

JFF
I much appreciate your response. I guess i just haven't been excersizing as much due to the rain.

That being said i am just mourning my creative side i once had with video games and am sad I can no longer appreciate it. :( But it was harming my spiritual life and sadly i need to not play them. Much easier said than done as i still feel a pull to do them when i know i cannot. ugh this is so tough for me. I tried drawing and want to get into fishing. I've just been going stir crazy with being stuck in-doors

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You aren't wrong that video games are spiritually oppressive (just another tactic the enemy uses to keep us distracted from God's will for our lives). I use to enjoy home design/decorating games..but due to depression they basically became my life (and if you've noticed many games are created to be time-consuming). But in the midst of this lifestyle is when I finally called out to God and asked him what was the point of my life? (Why was I born) which led me to being saved. I played games during the first 6 months while I was under spiritual attack as a way to "avoid" it (not knowing properly about warfare) and essentially God told me to stop doing that because it was preventing him from taking me through and teaching me something.

But it was harming my spiritual life and sadly i need to not play them. Much easier said than done as i still feel a pull to do them when i know i cannot.
I know the pull... I've had a desire to return to my favourite game recently in the last couple of months but every time I have the thought, I remember how time-consuming it was and how it's a risk of falling into bad patterns again.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we must reject the filth we see on the tv screens, it has definitely become a nuisance for me.
I've been feeling that a lot lately.. often I'll have the tv on for light and background noise when I'm online and occasionally will watch my renovation shows that are on the only channel I watch on free-to-air. But after 11pm there's a show on that makes me sick to the stomach so I say "yep! That time again", and switch over or switch off the TV.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
You aren't wrong that video games are spiritually oppressive (just another tactic the enemy uses to keep us distracted from God's will for our lives). I use to enjoy home design/decorating games..but due to depression they basically became my life (and if you've noticed many games are created to be time-consuming). But in the midst of this lifestyle is when I finally called out to God and asked him what was the point of my life? (Why was I born) which led me to being saved. I played games during the first 6 months while I was under spiritual attack as a way to "avoid" it (not knowing properly about warfare) and essentially God told me to stop doing that because it was preventing him from taking me through and teaching me something.

I know the pull... I've had a desire to return to my favourite game recently in the last couple of months but every time I have the thought, I remember how time-consuming it was and how it's a risk of falling into bad patterns again.
It's sad because God created us to be creative, and there is so much potential that people could have done in creating video games, sadly the games all the way to the coding programs used are bad. Just think of the name of one of the programming tools: Python. A literal snake which represents the devil.

Don't get me wrong some things are necessary and God allows us to use them, it's the unnecessary that i believe God has no part in. I mourn the potential people had to create just one video game that is Christian. But sadly the tools used and the games created reflect the world and i hate it. Oh how i long to be in Heaven where God created the rules and boundaries, and even on Earth we live by God's rules. When we play games we play by the rules and coding of the people that made them and they are definitely not always going to be Christian.

I long to live with Christ, Heaven is such a place I want to be. Yet i must be here to help people and live the best i can, even when it's not always fun. I am thankful to be alive.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Video Games are Idolatry.
I quit playing all of that when the LORD called me back to repent

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Video Games are Idolatry.
I quit playing all of that when the LORD called me back to repent
It is hard to hear but you most likely are right

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have not decided yet with television but no more news, violent movies ever again ,we must reject the filth we see on the tv screens, it has definitely become a nuisance for me.
I try to only watch things that Glorify the LORD, Christian Stories Based on True Events etc,
the NEWS is a perversion of truth, avoid it.
we're called to be in the world but not a part of it. :oldthumbsup:

Honestly, I might give up watching even the Christian Stories based on True events too tbh,
Got me thinking about it.

Gonna pray over it :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I much appreciate your response. I guess i just haven't been excersizing as much due to the rain.

That being said i am just mourning my creative side i once had with video games and am sad I can no longer appreciate it. :( But it was harming my spiritual life and sadly i need to not play them. Much easier said than done as i still feel a pull to do them when i know i cannot. ugh this is so tough for me. I tried drawing and want to get into fishing. I've just been going stir crazy with being stuck in-doors
Where I live in the eastern townships near Montreal it is now really cold, -19C, i have setup in the basement an exercise bike and a few weights, it made a big difference. I also read a lot and am thinking writing a book I have so many ideas the problem is that my writing style is more direct and to the point, I learned to write this way while writing scientific articles in academia etc...I will have to adapt, i hope i can.

I do feel a pull also towards the vid games but i can now say no. they are not good for me, makes me anxious and aggressive sometimes. I still have my old PS4 that i keep for DVD playback but i resisted the urge to buy the PS5.. lol In any case keeping busy with a creative hobby is a big plus for me.

Blessings,

JFF

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I loved listening to lol Acid rock music. I remember going to this bible study and when she prayed over me she would say "I see these black albums you need to break them get rid of them". yeah lucky guess on her part huh haha. I never told them and at that time I didn't get rid of them. Well a few weeks later shes praying for me again and says "Danny I still see those black albums". Now black.. It was at the time Kansas, Kiss, Boston... you name it. Things I bet some won't agree with. See these were the same people that once prayed for the huge wart I had on my palm. So as they prayed just before he stops praying says "and lord even the ones between his toes". Yeah no one on this planet knew about those. So not long after that all just went away never ever came back.

ALL this to say after I was saved for years still listening to Acid rock I can remember being at work and out of know were I just didn't want ever hear it again and never have. We all grow spiritually differently. I think wonder if its only when were ready to listen will He lovingly share don't do that. He will not condemn us and if we have noticed when we fall He never says a word other then ..thats why I died.

Anyway praise GOD thank you very much for sharing and it does will glorify HIm and others will see it.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I loved listening to lol Acid rock music. I remember going to this bible study and when she prayed over me she would say "I see these black albums you need to break them get rid of them". yeah lucky guess on her part huh haha. I never told them and at that time I didn't get rid of them. Well a few weeks later shes praying for me again and says "Danny I still see those black albums". Now black.. It was at the time Kansas, Kiss, Boston... you name it. Things I bet some won't agree with. See these were the same people that once prayed for the huge wart I had on my palm. So as they prayed just before he stops praying says "and lord even the ones between his toes". Yeah no one on this planet knew about those. So not long after that all just went away never ever came back.

ALL this to say after I was saved for years still listening to Acid rock I can remember being at work and out of know were I just didn't want ever hear it again and never have. We all grow spiritually differently. I think wonder if its only when were ready to listen will He lovingly share don't do that. He will not condemn us and if we have noticed when we fall He never says a word other then ..thats why I died.

Anyway praise GOD thank you very much for sharing and it does will glorify HIm and others will see it.
thanks for sharing. I get resistant on spiritual growth it's not easy for me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks for sharing. I get resistant on spiritual growth it's not easy for me
You aren't alone, It's not easy for me either,
though I suspect that's the case for us all

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Well just want to say thank you guys for your support, life wouldn't be as possible without your kind words

Upvote 0

Daddibubba

Jan 14, 2023
San Antonio
✟8,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Daddibubba

Jan 14, 2023
San Antonio
✟8,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Same here. Found that getting into at home bible study and watching vids of favorite pastors gets me in the mood to dive in and come back up for air later. Dont have any study buddies yet so not having that verbal chatter associated to multiplyer games is something I miss, tho not the trash and trashy talking that almost always accompanies that.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Same here. Found that getting into at home bible study and watching vids of favorite pastors gets me in the mood to dive in and come back up for air later. Dont have any study buddies yet so not having that verbal chatter associated to multiplyer games is something I miss, tho not the trash and trashy talking that almost always accompanies that.
Same I wish there were more social things people as Christians could do online, I wish there was more fellowship opportunities online

Upvote 0