High School Bans Student After He Goes To Shooting Range With His Mom, Snapchat Post

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
16-year-old Nathan Myers and his mother Justine Myers went to a shooting range on Tuesday, a moment that Nathan celebrated by posting a video on Snapchat showing some of the guns they were going to bring, including hand guns and an AR-15. The caption for the post read, "Finna be lit," which he explained to Complete Colorado is just slang used among his peers meaning he's "excited" about the chance to go to the range with his mom, who he hadn't seen in a few weeks due to his parents being separated.

When they returned from shooting, Justine learned from messages left by Nathan's father that police officers had come to the house asking about his initial Snapchat post. "His father told them he was out shooting with me, I am an avid shooter," Justine explained. "So, the officers said he wasn't in trouble and left."

Though the family thought the issue was settled, the next morning they were informed by the school district that Nathan could not return to classes.

"I called to ask why I couldn't go, and they said it was a safety concern because the student who reported it was scared I was going to shoot up the school," Nathan said.

The Myers say Nathan has never had any conflict with another student, enjoys a large circle of friends, and has no criminal record.

Complete Colorado reached out to Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams to get his reaction to the situation. He said he thought it just seemed like a kid excited to go to a firing range. When he learned about the school district's response, he expressed disbelief.

"This is exactly the mechanics of the Red Flag Law," Reams told the outlet. "Someone filed an anonymous complaint, without the other person knowing it was being filed, but instead of him being deprived of his Second Amendment rights, he’s being deprived of his ability to go to school without due process."

Full Article
High School Bans Student After He Goes To Shooting Range With His Mom, Snapchat Post

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wonder if there was any prompting to the student to report his 'fear'? If he was that afraid you'd think he would be the one to stay home.....:scratch:

Maybe: "If you see something, make up something".

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I called to ask why I couldn't go, and they said it was a safety concern because the student who reported it was scared I was going to shoot up the school," Nathan said.
I do not blame the students for being worried. I use to see knives out at the gun shows. Back before the Brady Gun Control. It use to be that people mostly collected hand guns for an investment. Now it seems like there are a lot of assault weapons that were fairly rare before. High School students should have the right to feel some degree of safety. High School is suppose to be a special experience that we remember for the rest of our lives. There is plenty of opportunity for them to get involved in guns later on in life if they feel so inclined to that sort of death and destruction. We have a responsibility to do what we can to protect our youth from having to worry about this sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
16-year-old Nathan Myers and his mother Justine Myers went to a shooting range on Tuesday, a moment that Nathan celebrated by posting a video on Snapchat showing some of the guns they were going to bring, including hand guns and an AR-15. The caption for the post read, "Finna be lit," which he explained to Complete Colorado is just slang used among his peers meaning he's "excited" about the chance to go to the range with his mom, who he hadn't seen in a few weeks due to his parents being separated.

When they returned from shooting, Justine learned from messages left by Nathan's father that police officers had come to the house asking about his initial Snapchat post. "His father told them he was out shooting with me, I am an avid shooter," Justine explained. "So, the officers said he wasn't in trouble and left."

Though the family thought the issue was settled, the next morning they were informed by the school district that Nathan could not return to classes.

The Myers say Nathan has never had any conflict with another student, enjoys a large circle of friends, and has no criminal record.

Complete Colorado reached out to Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams to get his reaction to the situation. He said he thought it just seemed like a kid excited to go to a firing range. When he learned about the school district's response, he expressed disbelief.

"This is exactly the mechanics of the Red Flag Law," Reams told the outlet. "Someone filed an anonymous complaint, without the other person knowing it was being filed, but instead of him being deprived of his Second Amendment rights, he’s being deprived of his ability to go to school without due process."

Full Article

People are falsely accused everyday.

Sometimes even end up on trail, though innocent, and even get convicted, and sent to prison.

But(!)...we don't stop having law, police, courts and prisons.
Even though we know they are imperfect.

Even though they are imperfect, we still continue to try, best we can, to have law, police, courts and prisons. It's the best we can do here, in the temporary mortal world.

And sometimes innocents will get caught up in the process.

But it's not a reason to stop having laws, stop having police, stop having criminal trials, etc.

A red flag law will sometimes stop mass murders.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not blame the students for being worried. I use to see knives out at the gun shows. Back before the Brady Gun Control. It use to be that people mostly collected hand guns for an investment. Now it seems like there are a lot of assault weapons that were fairly rare before. High School students should have the right to feel some degree of safety. High School is suppose to be a special experience that we remember for the rest of our lives. There is plenty of opportunity for them to get involved in guns later on in life if they feel so inclined to that sort of death and destruction. We have a responsibility to do what we can to protect our youth from having to worry about this sort of thing.
A student at a range with a parent....oh yeah, I see all kinds of threats there:swoon:. Maybe the new slogan should be 'even if you don't see something, it is OK to make something up'? And this is the problem with stuff like this: it can be used as a weapon to bring discredit or suspicion on someone who is doing no wrong. Hopefully the student who reported this is held accountable for his actions.....WOLF!!!! WOLF!!!!

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
High School students should have the right to feel some degree of safety. High School is suppose to be a special experience that we remember for the rest of our lives. There is plenty of opportunity for them to get involved in guns later on in life if they feel so inclined to that sort of death and destruction. We have a responsibility to do what we can to protect our youth from having to worry about this sort of thing.

He didn't bring a gun to school, he was at the range with his mother, and it's a hobby they'd done together for years. Not sure why that would make other high school students feel unsafe?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with so many guns we could not fit them all inside our large 6 foot tall by 4 foot gun case (which also had drawers on bottom). Some got stored even in the attic. I was already a sorta-ok shot at age 6-7, able to hit a narrow glass bottle at like 6-8 feet away with a .22 pistol (that's not quite as easy as it sounds, for a beginner at least).

Right? So, an AR-15, which is a lightweight weapon of war really, I don't feel comfortable with the idea that a teenager down the street, close by, has one, with several 30-round clips.

Nope. It's not ok with me.

I don't mind if they have 25 guns. I don't think it's fine to have one that can only be used fully to it's design in an all-out war situation or for a mass murder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wonder if there was any prompting to the student to report his 'fear'? If he was that afraid you'd think he would be the one to stay home.....:scratch:
He didn't bring a gun to school, he was at the range with his mother, and it's a hobby they'd done together for years. Not sure why that would make other high school students feel unsafe?
There is such an attitude of fear with all the recent school shootings going back to Columbine, that many students will react badly to ANYONE they know being around a firearm for any reason.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Friends. Just a fellowship post. Is the USA a very violent society? There seems to be many guns in the USA.

I have never even seen a gun :)
Yes, pretty violent, and in that way, it's like most of the world. But here, we have a lot of guns floating around that are able to kill 50 innocent bystanders in just 1 minute or 2.

Bad mix.

It's against our own Constitution, which reads a different wording than just 'anything goes'.

It says “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By contrast, my high school student handbook (1969) had a couple of paragraphs on how to properly bring your gun to school. It was done regularly. No one ever got shot.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Red-flag laws are fine IF people will be held responsible for knowingly making false reports.

An anonymous tip should get a low-key visit from officers, like this one did. They responded reasonably.

An anonymous tip should NOT result in the seizure of a person's guns, with long, troublesome court appearances to get them back. If the tipster identifies themselves, and their identity is verified, then the tip can go before a judge. If not, the police can knock on the door and evaluate the situation from there.

Many (maybe most) of the mass shooters have given ample warning of their intentions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I completely disagree with that sentiment. Trying to shield people from reality is harmful to them. In this case if the student is afraid, because another student likes shooting at a range with his mother, that student needs to be shown the stupidity of his/her feelings in relation to reality rather than have his/her unnecessary and unwarranted fear be allowed to control others. Rather than explaining how irrational the fear is and helping the student to conquer that fear those in a position of authority made the unwarranted fear seem warranted and made the situation worse when it could have been made better.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People are falsely accused everyday.

Sometimes even end up on trail, though innocent, and even get convicted, and sent to prison.

But(!)...we don't stop having law, police, courts and prisons.
Even though we know they are imperfect.

Even though they are imperfect, we still continue to try, best we can, to have law, police, courts and prisons. It's the best we can do here, in the temporary mortal world.

And sometimes innocents will get caught up in the process.

But it's not a reason to stop having laws, stop having police, stop having criminal trials, etc.

A red flag law will sometimes stop mass murders.
There is a big difference between our court justice system and the Red Flag justice system.
Red Flag declares you guilty and you must prove your innocence.
It appears that there is no standard by which to gauge your guilt; only someone said...

I'm hoping that someone sues and this goes before the SCOTUS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I completely disagree with that sentiment.
I disagree with you. NO one has a right to own a gun unless they have been through military basic training and they have been trained in how to use that gun.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up with so many guns we could not fit them all inside our large 6 foot tall by 4 foot gun case (which also had drawers on bottom). Some got stored even in the attic. I was already a sorta-ok shot at age 6-7, able to hit a narrow glass bottle at like 6-8 feet away with a .22 pistol (that's not quite as easy as it sounds, for a beginner at least).

Right? So, an AR-15, which is a lightweight weapon of war really, I don't feel comfortable with the idea that a teenager down the street, close by, has one, with several 30-round clips.

Nope. It's not ok with me.

I don't mind if they have 25 guns. I don't think it's fine to have one that can only be used fully to it's design in an all-out war situation or for a mass murder.
Then object to those weapons and magazines but don't defend what this school is doing to this kid.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a big difference between our court justice system and the Red Flag justice system.
Red Flag declares you guilty and you must prove your innocence.
It appears that there is no standard by which to gauge your guilt; only someone said...

I'm hoping that someone sues and this goes before the SCOTUS.
Yup -- the innocent are wrongly persecuted routinely, yet we still nevertheless try best we can.

Why?

Here's an example:

"...to date, there had been only two documented cases of red flag laws utilized to prevent mass shootings, the researchers said:

• The first use of Vermont's red flag law in April 2018 prevented a mass shooting at the school of an 18-year-old inspired by the Parkland, Fla., shooting who said, "I'm aiming to kill as many as I can."
  • Police recovered 12 firearms from a Washington man in December 2018 after he threatened a mass shooting at a synagogue and a school.
'Red Flag' Laws May Be Stopping Some Mass Shootings

It's not a panacea. It's just ordinary regulation -- imperfect. But better than nothing.

Here's an imperfect analogy to compare (maybe I could do better, but this one came to mind first): Would it be ok if we allowed smokers in schools since not all instances of smoking will necessarily harm anyone (it's more only a long term likelihood instead). Typically, if a person is around cigarette smoke one day, or 30, they will not end up dying of cancer from that.

Upvote 0