Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to preface this by saying I do not question the unquestionable truth of God and His glory and of Jesus. Before this week however, I didn't even know what the Nicene Creed was but upon reading it of course I believe its every word.
I do harbor certain doubts and questions sadly. I was raised half Southern Baptist and half Salvationist (Salvation Army). This gave me a very unique perspective growing up in two separate churches with some very different theological principles. Now at 20 years old I have been solely going to a Salvation Army corp for two years. I love divisional and Territorial gatherings and I can feel the power of the Holy Spirit resounding during these times. It was actually at a divisional meeting this spring that I first realized what the pull my life was. I had always had a passion to help others and ever since I started my walk with Christ I've wanted others to know of His awesome love. I have been called to Ministry. Within the Salvation Army this would entail going to a Training College and then becoming an Officer, or a Salvationist Minister. Now that I've started getting serious in my researching of the Early Church it didn't take long for me to question something...sacraments...TSA does not practice any in the traditional sense due to a history of empty tradition that TSA was avoiding. But the Bible clearly states how important Eucharist and Baptism are. I've signed my Articles of War and all but I've never been Baptised neither as an infant nor as a teen. I don't believe they are required for Salvation, the theif at the cross clearly did not preform sacraments. But I feel they do convey an importance. I also got deeper in my study of actual scripture which talks plainly about fasting something neither of the churches I grew up in ever mentioned and yet it is clearly there in scripture. Then I research Protestantism in and of itself and wonder how something good can have such a crazy history full of some, arguably, insane people. Now I'm left wondering...can I really minister to a group of people that won't practice sacraments would I not be teaching false teachings? I don't agree with the catholic church but does the Orthodox church hold merit? I'm starting to wonder....worst of all I teach high school sunday school tomorrow morning. The stress of confusion born of curiosity has been eating at me all week. What makes it worse are my officers innate inability to be spiritual guiders due to their love of gossip that makes me know I can't go to them with doubt...I feel alone...

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Kajiki, WELCOME TO CF .. :wave: It sounds like you have more than a few things to discuss about the Christian faith. Fortunately, this is a great place to do just that :)

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - I must say that I was surprised to hear that TSA does not practice the sacraments. I hardly find Baptism and the Lord's Supper "empty" traditions. Are there any other big differences we should know about? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kajiki, WELCOME TO CF .. :wave: It sounds like you have more than a few things to discuss about the Christian faith. Fortunately, this is a great place to do just that :)

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - I must say that I was surprised to hear that TSA does not practice the sacraments. I hardly find Baptism and the Lord's Supper "empty" traditions. Are there any other big differences we should know about? Thanks!
Yeah the issue was definitely present for some believers in the late 1800s in England at the very least. To note however is that the founder of TSA originally wanted communion in particular however other TSA leaders felt it would make them look like everyone else and would scare away common folk.
Other differences I'm not sure of I mean I believe in Salvation by Faith and Faith is evident in our Good Works. I believe that of course because even the Demons believe in God. I suppose this is a notion others believe as well. I honestly don't know much Calvinism tbh.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been there to. The more you research other denominational views the more confused you get.
I gave up on that and whent to the Lord and talked to him about it. In a nutshell this is what He told me.
He would put a bible verse on my heart and I would read it,then read it again and keep doing this until finally some part of it would jump out.[scripture is given by inspiration of God]
Understand comes by the spirit of God to your spirit[its called revelation]and your spirit help you understand it in your mind.

2 Timothy 3:16-17King James Version (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
I would read it and think about it. I would do this several times till finally it jumps out at me.[All scripture is given by inspiration of God]by the spirit,spirit to spirit my spirit.
Its called revelation. When you try to work it out with you own mind the bible call it the wisdom of man
1corinthian 2-13to16
13.Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14.But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15.But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16.For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
You also talk about communion.

Luke 22:19King James Version (KJV)
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
This is powerful in your christian walk.Again the best way is get alone with Jesus or the Holy Spirit,the perfect teacher and let it come by revelation. When it is done carnally without revelation it becomes religious and after time it can becomes demonically polluted.
Hope this will some help and Let the Prince of Peace surround you.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah the issue was definitely present for some believers in the late 1800s in England at the very least. To note however is that the founder of TSA originally wanted communion in particular however other TSA leaders felt it would make them look like everyone else and would scare away common folk.
Other differences I'm not sure of I mean I believe in Salvation by Faith and Faith is evident in our Good Works. I believe that of course because even the Demons believe in God. I suppose this is a notion others believe as well. I honestly don't know much Calvinism tbh.
Something else to talk about, I guess ;)

Hi again Kajiki, Calvinism is a theology, not a church or a denomination, just FYI. Calvinism can be found in a number of Protestant denominations, but it's particularly associated with Presbyterian and Reformed Baptist churches. My interest lies in the differences between TSA and Protestants in general (if there are any other differences, that is). BTW, it's good to know that you guys believe in salvation by faith alone (sola fide).

Yours and His,
David

Romans 4
5 To the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something else to talk about, I guess ;)

Hi again Kajiki, Calvinism is a theology, not a church or a denomination, just FYI. Calvinism can be found in a number of Protestant denominations, but is particularly associated with Presbyterian and Reformed Baptist churches. My interest lies in the differences between TSA and Protestants in general (if there are any other differences, that is). BTW, it's good to know that you guys believe in salvation by faith alone (sola fide).

Yours and His,
David

Romans 4
5 To the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.
Well the TSA is considered a protestant church. Our founder General William Booth was a Methodist minister afterall. Oh yeah one other thing escaped my mind. TSA does ordain women, that's not too common for Protestants.

Thank you for the insights of course

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You bet, thanks for telling me a little bit about TSA too :) Hopefully we will run into each other again out on the boards (Dv) :oldthumbsup: There are a few TSA members here at CF, but I really don't remember any of them talking about the TSA (so I'm glad that you decided to)!

--David

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh and a bit more of a introductory thing is my username's meaning. Kajiki means swordfish in Japanese. This expresses my love of missionary work particularly in East Asia and the fish being an important Christian symbol mixed with a sword to symbolize our weapon, the Word of God and our sword is the Word.

And again if any could give me guidance in my confusion I would be so grateful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums