Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe homosexual acts are a sin and I'm against cross dressing. I also think sleeping with your boyfriend or girlfriend is a sin, even if you're engaged.

Does that make me a "fundamentalist"? Am I dangerous or something? Or am I just a normal Catholic in a weird time of Church history?

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are a Traditional Catholic from my understanding. Nothing wrong with it. We just have a secular government so people are free do do those things here. So yeah, some Catholics who are politically Liberal have altered their Catholic beliefs. We are called to love everyone anyway and I think we can do that without changing Church doctrine.

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe homosexual acts are a sin and I'm against cross dressing. I also think sleeping with your boyfriend or girlfriend is a sin, even if you're engaged.

Does that make me a "fundamentalist"? Am I dangerous or something? Or am I just a normal Catholic in a weird time of Church history?

Are "Fundamentalist Catholics" worse than atheists...?? Or criminals ??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
aw I wrote a long post but I guess I closed it before it posted :(

do you mind if i give a longer answer that deals a bit with the popular terms used to describe Catholics?

I would say that based on your views stated here, and the information I have gleamed from your posts I have read before that you are an orthodox Catholic

so many imprecise language when it comes to religion, especially Catholicism

"conservative" and "liberal" are political terms and are used to trivialize problems with heterodoxy, turning it into differences in style rather then being orthodox or heterodox

Fundamentalist is also not a good term to use for Catholics
to be a Fundamentalist means you focus on the fundamentals of the faith and do not argue about secondary issues, or at least see that there is true unity as long as the fundamentals are agreed upon

I would say that you are an orthodox Catholic but are not a radical traditionalist

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
aw I wrote a long post but I guess I closed it before it posted :(

do you mind if i give a longer answer that deals a bit with the popular terms used to describe Catholics?

I would say that based on your views stated here, and the information I have gleamed from your posts I have read before that you are an orthodox Catholic

so many imprecise language when it comes to religion, especially Catholicism

"conservative" and "liberal" are political terms and are used to trivialize problems with heterodoxy, turning it into differences in style rather then being orthodox or heterodox

Fundamentalist is also not a good term to use for Catholics
to be a Fundamentalist means you focus on the fundamentals of the faith and do not argue about secondary issues, or at least see that there is true unity as long as the fundamentals are agreed upon

I would say that you are an orthodox Catholic but are not a radical traditionalist
I agree but would add Orthodox "Roman" Catholic to not be confused with Eastern Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree but would add Orthodox "Roman" Catholic to not be confused with Eastern Orthodoxy.

that is why I used the small "o" for "orthodox"
I normally do not say Roman Catholic, it is not a horrible term, but some (not all) people use it as a way to advance branch theory

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think you have me pegged correctly. And because I'm so Orthodox, it's why I feel at home on the Traditionalist board, but can't stand the Lord's Table (even though I love my fellow Catholics). I am DEFINITELY not a fundamentalist, and I am irritated when I am mislabeled as such, but at the same time, I don't feel the same kind of animosity towards fundamentalism that the Pope does. I think fundamentalists have a part to play in the Body. They call us to piety and devotion.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant home, and I came away with a feel for the "aura" of fundamentalism, and I think I can nail down a few of the specifics that create that aura. Before I begin with my description of Fundamentalism, let me say that Fundamentalists are not the people-bashers that they are often made out to be. My family was ultra loving, and I'm very lucky for such parents. Personally, I feel much more at home with Fundamentalists than Liberals, because Fundamentalists take their religion seriously.

Note: If only a few of these things in this list are true about you, then you are NOT a fundamentalist. Also, if you ARE a fundamentalist, you are most likely a devout and wonderful person, just on the structured, literal side of the spectrum (the yin to the progressive yang).

• Fundamentalists tend to go the extra mile, obeying rules that are far beyond conventional. In my family that meant things like no drinking, smoking, wearing makeup, playing cards (gambling), wearing jewelry, braiding hair... In Catholicism this might be something like going to daily Mass, believing that playing dungeons and dragons is a sin, no wearing dragon jewelry, or believing that burying a statue of St. Joseph in your yard will literally help your house to sell.
  • It also means that they look down on others of their faith who don't similarly go that extra mile. For example, if YOU PEOPLE don't also pray the Rosary daily, you aren't much of a Catholic. In my family, if you drank and smoked, you weren't a "real Christian."
  • Fundamentalists tend to take religious texts literally, even when they aren't meant that way. For example, they tend to be six 24 hour day young earth creationists. The plagues in Revelation are literal plagues. The see their religious text as God's "word for word" writing, dictated to the men who recorded it, rather than simply inspired.
  • Fundamentalists are HIGHLY concerned with who are the innies and outies. THESE are the saved and those aren't. These are the Catholics following the true teachings of the Church, and THOSE people are the so-called Catholics leading the Church into hell, in an extreme sense. (Think SSPX)
  • Fundamentalists similarly see other religions as NOTHING BUT evil. They cannot see the things in other religions that are also found in their own, or things in other religions that are neutral or healthy. They therefore demonize the good things in other religions simply because those things come from other religions (such as eschewing acupuncture simply because it comes from Taoism).
  • Fundamentalists have a strong sense of right and wrong (not a bad thing) but lack the empathy needed to understand WHY people sin, and therefore less able to council people out of sin. They tend to be condemning. A fundamentalist priest in the confessional tends to do more blaming than forgiving.
  • Fundamentalists tend to eschew modernism. They don't trust things like TV, the internet, etc. (The very fact that you are online reading this means you don't check this box!)
  • Fundamentalists are anti-scholarship. They do not trust high level education. They believe in learning just enough to get by in society -- reading, writing, and arithmetic. But going to college means (to them) nothing but learning evolution, that the their religious text isn't really written by God, that "sin is in" i.e. that fornication and homosexuality are things to be explored and men and women are the same. They don't care if clergy went to seminary -- they are more concerned that he be "inspired" to teach the basics, which even an 18 year old called by God can do.
  • Fundamentalists see themselves as "chosen" with a "special mission." They are "marked" for a superior destiny because they are better than anyone else in some way. Of course all Christians believe this is true. Remember that being a fundamentalist is a conglomeration of these traits, not just having a few true about you. Plus, fundamentalists are the "chosen within the chosen. " LOL
  • In most fundamentalism (though not all), female sexuality is a concern and must be controlled. The differences between men and women must be enforced.
  • Fundamentalists tend to be very aggressive in defending their faith. This can range from isolationists who engage in apologetics to jihadists who believe war is the only way to defend Islam against the onslaught of modernism.
So how did you do?

Is there anything I forgot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think you're just a Catholic. In a good way. :)
Thanks. :) I think so too. At least I try very hard to be. If it's in the Catechism, that's what I'll believe.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think you have me pegged correctly. And because I'm so Orthodox, it's why I feel at home on the Traditionalist board, but can't stand the Lord's Table (even though I love my fellow Catholics). I am DEFINITELY not a fundamentalist, and I am irritated when I am mislabeled as such, but at the same time, I don't feel the same kind of animosity towards fundamentalism that the Pope does. I think fundamentalists have a part to play in the Body. They call us to piety and devotion.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant home, and I came away with a feel for the "aura" of fundamentalism, and I think I can nail down a few of the specifics that create that aura. Before I begin with my description of Fundamentalism, let me say that Fundamentalists are not the people-bashers that they are often made out to be. My family was ultra loving, and I'm very lucky for such parents. Personally, I feel much more at home with Fundamentalists than Liberals, because Fundamentalists take their religion seriously.

Note: If only a few of these things in this list are true about you, then you are NOT a fundamentalist. Also, if you ARE a fundamentalist, you are most likely a devout and wonderful person, just on the structured, literal side of the spectrum (the yin to the progressive yang).

• Fundamentalists tend to go the extra mile, obeying rules that are far beyond conventional. In my family that meant things like no drinking, smoking, wearing makeup, playing cards (gambling), wearing jewelry, braiding hair... In Catholicism this might be something like going to daily Mass, believing that playing dungeons and dragons is a sin, no wearing dragon jewelry, or believing that burying a statue of St. Joseph in your yard will literally help your house to sell.
  • It also means that they look down on others of their faith who don't similarly go that extra mile. For example, if YOU PEOPLE don't also pray the Rosary daily, you aren't much of a Catholic. In my family, if you drank and smoked, you weren't a "real Christian."
  • Fundamentalists tend to take religious texts literally, even when they aren't meant that way. For example, they tend to be six 24 hour day young earth creationists. The plagues in Revelation are literal plagues. The see their religious text as God's "word for word" writing, dictated to the men who recorded it, rather than simply inspired.
  • Fundamentalists are HIGHLY concerned with who are the innies and outies. THESE are the saved and those aren't. These are the Catholics following the true teachings of the Church, and THOSE people are the so-called Catholics leading the Church into hell, in an extreme sense. (Think SSPX)
  • Fundamentalists similarly see other religions as NOTHING BUT evil. They cannot see the things in other religions that are also found in their own, or things in other religions that are neutral or healthy. They therefore demonize the good things in other religions simply because those things come from other religions (such as eschewing acupuncture simply because it comes from Taoism).
  • Fundamentalists have a strong sense of right and wrong (not a bad thing) but lack the empathy needed to understand WHY people sin, and therefore less able to council people out of sin. They tend to be condemning. A fundamentalist priest in the confessional tends to do more blaming than forgiving.
  • Fundamentalists tend to eschew modernism. They don't trust things like TV, the internet, etc. (The very fact that you are online reading this means you don't check this box!)
  • Fundamentalists are anti-scholarship. They do not trust high level education. They believe in learning just enough to get by in society -- reading, writing, and arithmetic. But going to college means (to them) nothing but learning evolution, that the their religious text isn't really written by God, that "sin is in" i.e. that fornication and homosexuality are things to be explored and men and women are the same. They don't care if clergy went to seminary -- they are more concerned that he be "inspired" to teach the basics, which even an 18 year old called by God can do.
  • Fundamentalists see themselves as "chosen" with a "special mission." They are "marked" for a superior destiny because they are better than anyone else in some way. Of course all Christians believe this is true. Remember that being a fundamentalist is a conglomeration of these traits, not just having a few true about you. Plus, fundamentalists are the "chosen within the chosen. " LOL
  • In most fundamentalism (though not all), female sexuality is a concern and must be controlled. The differences between men and women must be enforced.
  • Fundamentalists tend to be very aggressive in defending their faith. This can range from isolationists who engage in apologetics to jihadists who believe war is the only way to defend Islam against the onslaught of modernism.
So how did you do?

Is there anything I forgot?
an excellent description for Protestant Fundamentalists, but the word "Fundamentalist" doesn't carry over to Catholicism. Instead the word "Traditional" is normally used.

the Liberal Catholics usually change it to "Traditionalist" Catholic, meaning "in the style of a Traditional", or to mimic the style only, but not to actually be a traditional Catholic.

As such, they move the whole definition of Catholic one step away from the Church as it used to be, and substitute a copy for the original.

And in all probability the vast majority of them are most likely unaware of what they do. That's why we have Watchers on the Walls for such a time as this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums