dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have two of these volumes (there are four in this series) and I find them very informative and wide ranging in their discussion. The Dutch Reformed tradition is fairly new to me (I think the only other theologian I know of is Kuyper)

These have only in more recent years been translated out of Dutch (by the late John Vriend - d. 2018). They are very thorough in their discussion. He does range over a lot ground so it is important for the reader to be alert for when he moves in and out of the Reformed understanding of the topic under discussion into for example explication how other Christologies diverge from that.

Bavinck is sometimes described as a man living between two worlds - In the Editor's intro he writes that :

"It is too simple merely to characterise Bavinck as a man trapped between two apparently incommensurate tugs at his soul, that of other-worldly pietism and this worldly modernism. His heart and mind sought a trinitarian synthesis of Christianity and culture, a christian worldview that incorporated what was best and true in both pietism and modernism, while above all honoring the theological and confessional richness of the Reformed tradition dating from Calvin."​

There is a version published in a single abridged edition without so much of the discussion and without much of the footnotes and bibliographies. I don't have it to compare but its probably is a fairly good (albeit at 848 page quite thick) stand alone edition for anyone not wanting to have to read through too much discussion to find what they are looking for.

Last edited:

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
He covers more ground than I need but I have found very helpful sections - he does a very fine job distinguishing the key features of Reformed Christology.
I also have his Wonderful Works of God. It's a nice edition, much easier to read and would be a good devotional.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
“Race instinct, sense of nationality, enmity, and hatred, these are divisive forces between peoples. This is an astonishing punishment and a terrible judgment, and cannot be undone by any cosmopolitanism or leagues of peace, by any 'universal' language, nor by any world-state or international culture.

If ever there is to be unity among mankind again it will not be achieved by any external, mechanical rallying around some tower of Babel or other, but by a development from within, a gathering under one and the same Head (Eph 1:10), by the peacemaking creation of all peoples into a new man (Eph 2:15), by regeneration and renewal through the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:15), and by the walking of all people in one and the same light (REv 21:24)

The unity of mankind which can only be restored by an internal operation, beginning within and working out, is, therefore, a unity which in the internal operation of that first confusion of tongues was basically disturbed. The spurious unity was radically upset in order that room might be made for the true unity. The world-state was shattered in order that the Kingdom of God would come into existence on earth.”

Herman Bavinck, Our Reasonable Faith: A Survey Of Christian Doctrine

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
“In Christianity the heavens do open, and God descends to the earth. In the other religions it is man whom we always see at work, trying by the achievement of knowledge, by keeping all kinds of rules, or by withdrawal from the world into the secrecy of his own inner life to obtain redemption from evil and communion with God. In the Christian religion the work of men is nothing, and it is God Himself who acts, intervenes in history, opens the way of redemption in Christ and by the power of His grace brings man into that redemption and causes him to walk in it.”

Herman Bavinck, The Wonderful Works of God

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've never read him myself, I'll put his name on a "should read" list.

Unless you have a need for a lot of close confering (through footnotes) with others in the Dutch Reformed Tradition - the Abridged Edition might be sufficient. Reformed Dogmatics as other posters have pointed out is not his only work. Two other books of his not mentioned in this thread:

Saved By Grace
Essays on Religion, Science and Society

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums