Here's one for you:. OLD SAYINGS, meanings

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Southern US sayings

"You could drive a preacher to drink"

"They live so far out in the sticks that even the Presbyterians handle snakes"

"Bless your heart"
Hey, i use that all the time. I must one of those old fogies presbyterians, lol

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
All abortion opponents need to know and believe this one: "It takes a village to raise a child."
abortion opponents?? that has noting to do with abortion pro nor con.

It refers to the fact that as parents raise their children they will also need (and get) lots of assistance along the way.
Church family - pastors, sunday school teachers, schools - teachers, coaches, librarians, other family members, baby-sitters.. some are more direct than others but the 'village' participates

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One of my favorites from my grandmother Maria (may God rest her soul) that I've never heard outside of my own family is "He's/she's got champagne tastes on a beer budget", which was her way of saying that someone (usually my dad, hahaha) was living beyond their means.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not really a 'saying' specifically, but what did your parents/grandparents/etc. say to describe when someone's house or a business or something was diagonally opposite to you? My mom used the term "kitty corner", which I think is pretty common but only sounds more ridiculous the more I think about it (what do kitties have to do with directions?). I know there are other terms for this in distinct regions of the USA (I grew up in northern California), but it's been so long since I've heard anyone talk about this that I no longer remember any variations.

Edit: Ahhh, an answer to the mystery of kitties and corners! Thank you, random internet page! I love etymology. :) That page has some other neat phrases, too. Can't say I've ever really thought of "Elvis has left the building" as a saying, but now that I think of it, my dad sometimes used to say that to get us kids to stop bothering him about changing his mind on something he'd already made a firm decision on, like if we wanted something for dinner that he didn't want. "Sorry, kids. Elvis has left the building." I'm surprised I didn't grow up thinking that Elvis decided everything important in life for our family! Instead, it was just one of a million 'weird' music-related things that my dad would say that I just chalked up to him being in the music business and that lifestyle frying his brain. o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0