Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Middle class people are the ones who drive those cars, and they already pay tax on the electricity it takes to charge them up.
Federal gasoline taxes are 18.4 cents a gallon. My state gasoline tax is 25 cents a gallon. I use about 10 gallons a week, and so I spend $4.34 cents a week or $217. a year.

The taxes paid for electricity go to the electric company and won't be transferred to the government for highway maintenance and repairs.

I don't think it is unreasonable for an electric car owner to spend $217. a year to maintain the roads he uses.

I drive a late model midsize car. I have thought about going electric or hybrid, but my main priority when replacing my car will be getting one with more self-driving safety features. My husband and I are slightly over 70, and our reflexes may not be as sharp in the upcoming decade. I want to be safe, and prepared, and as independent and busy as I am today.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Argues that lowering corporate taxes leaves businesses with more money to pay workers, and more money to invest in capital equipment, which makes workers more efficient, able to do more in less time, so as to warrant more pay:

Opinion | Biden Aims at Profit, Hits Workers

If investing in infrastructure is a good idea, perhaps giving corporations tax breaks for modernizing their capital equipment would help promote that agenda?

• Haha
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Argues that lowering corporate taxes leaves businesses with more money to pay workers, and more money to invest in capital equipment, which makes workers more efficient, able to do more in less time, so as to warrant more pay:

Opinion | Biden Aims at Profit, Hits Workers

If investing in infrastructure is a good idea, perhaps giving corporations tax breaks for modernizing their capital equipment would help promote that agenda?
The problem with this theory though is that corporate taxes don't apply to revenues, but rather to profits. So if companies wanted to spend the money to pay workers and to invest in capital equipment, that money is already not taxed.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reality check: There is currently no base of support for impeaching Biden.

His approval rating is 59%. He is approaching every issue in a thoughtful and coordinated way, surrounding himself with experienced and intelligent advisors. He recognizes that he is not an expert on everything, so he surrounds himself with experts, listens to their counsel, and comes to a decision.

I was most impressed by his talk at the recent funeral for a Capitol police officer. His greatest strength is his compassion and heart, and I think that is what resonates with America.

In every case where he is doing something controversial (like setting up a committee to study expanding the federal courts) it is a reaction to extreme overreach by the Republican Party. McConnell held up every single judicial nomination for lower courts, and eventually the Supreme Court, for the last two years of the Obama administration. "Packing the courts might historically refer to FDR's attempt to add seats to the Supreme Court in the 1930's---but the net result of McConnell's actions "packed the courts" far more than FDR's attempt ever did.

Our courts are packed. They are packed because of unprecedented obstruction and failure of the Senate to "advise and consent." While some might prefer to quibble about semantics, let's look at the results.

McConnell threw the gauntlet down and Biden picked it up. It is expected and appropriate.

Similarly, his executive orders are a response to Senate obstructionism. He analyzed every situation with his advisors, and ascertained how many steps he could take without Senate approval. He didn't go further than Trump in this regard.

Upvote 0