Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2009
✟7,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so God has shown me that I am critical. Now what?

My criticism is towards other people and I would classify myself as a closet critic (meaning my friends wouldn't call me critical of others but my spouse and I would).

I am mostly critical of my husband, certain family members or when someone does something that I deem as unacceptable. My problem with criticism is this:

1. It is hurting my marriage. Often the first thing I share with my husband about a daily experience is how "I couldn't believe so and so was doing such and such". Who cares? HE doesn't want to hear about it.
I am very critical of him which I hate. Every now and then God exposes this facet of my character to me and it makes me cringe.

2. It is hurting my walk with God. I am basically mis-representing God to my non-Christian friends (esentially all of my friends). I think some of them might think "YOU are Christian?". I want my life to be an example for others to follow ultimately bringing them to faith.

So Advice that I am looking for:

Your thought and or experiences
Direction, what now?
Help

donb1959

Jesus Freak
Aug 24, 2009
NC
Visit site
✟15,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Criticism is a killer. It can ruin relationships....and bring down Nations. Being critical behind others back is also back-biting. It is unGodly, and cowardly. I come from a long line of critcism, I was brought up with it, and it was a struggle to tame my toungue.

You really need (as did I) to consider why you are critical....there's always an underlying reason....mine was self importance. The other thing to consider is just how destructive the behaviour is. An ill word spoken not out of Love has repurcusions farther than you can possibly imagine.

Practice this: the next time a critical thought comes into your mind, and you ALWAYS know a critical statement is coming, is to just hold your toungue....replace it with something nice...it works. You will be amazed at how that simple act can change your life.

Another truth is that if you are a "closet critic" most discerning folk will recognise you for what you are...it's difficult to hide.

If your non Christian friends see you as a Christian and say thanks, but no thanks.....how will you one day stand before an Allmighty God, and explain to him that friend X or Y did not make it because you were critical?......Heady stuff to consider. I will leave you with a few verses to consider.....think about the implications of your toungue.....I wish Blessings on you.

(Pr. 3:30) (Ps. 37:8) (Pr 14:16-17) (Eph. 4:31) (Pr. 11:12) (Rom. 12:10) (1 Jn. 4:20) (Pr. 9:12)

Shalom,

Don

Upvote 0

DreamsAreFree

Ps46:10 Jer33:3
Sep 20, 2008
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are probably critical because you are carrying some hurt or something that hurts your own self-confidence/sense of self-worth. Having recognised and owned your problem you can now change it. It takes about 30 days to change a habit.

I suggest that you try to be positive and look for the good in things. Give voice to the good and don't voice any critical thoughts. For example, if your husband has done the dishes but not put something in the right place, don't point out he put somethign in the wrong place - thank him for doing the dishes instead. If a friend shows up with a new haircut and asks you what you think but you hate it - don't say you hate it, say you love the colour/length/whatever is positive about it. If you fall down don't give up - just move on and try again. It might take time but you can do it :)

Upvote 0

bluedart

Jul 5, 2005
Northern California
Visit site
✟385.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Inquiring Mind,

I commend you for taking a very important step - the step out of denial. You have come to a place where you can admit to others that you have a problem with criticism. I would encourage you to become accountable to others, including your husband. Have you had the opportunity to tell him what you have shared here?

Doing this will bring his support and closeness in your relationship.

The next step I would suggest is to try get rid of the "should's" in your mind. Before we get upset there is almost always a should statement. Whenever there are should statements criticism and enemy images are not far away.

Instead of making judgments (criticism) try to make observations. For instance, instead of saying "you are so lazy and you never help out" state a fact by saying, "I noticed that the dishes have not been done yet." This latter statement is a fact the first is a judgment.

Then I encourage you to share your feelings and needs by making "I" messages. For instance, you can say, "I feel frustrated because I need help." But as you do this, do not say, "I am frustrated because you don't help." This imposes blame.

Ghandi said, "No one can hurt you without your permission." Basically people can't make you angry. By using the above phrase you are accepting responsibility for your feelings and not blaming others for them. When you blame others they just get defensive.

Then after you have shared your feelings and need (not wants) make your request to meet your need. This may sound like, "Would you be willing to ...?" These things are a pathway to get your needs met without criticizing others.

4 Steps

Share observation
I observe (notice, see, hear, remember, etc.) ...

Share feelings

I feel _________

Share Needs

because I need __________.

Make a Request

Would you be willing ...?

What most people do:

Make Judgments

Share thoughts

Share strategies

Make demands

Hope this is helpful. I have found this very helpful.

Peace

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My criticism is towards other people and I would classify myself as a closet critic (meaning my friends wouldn't call me critical of others but my spouse and I would).

I am mostly critical of my husband, certain family members or when someone does something that I deem as unacceptable. My problem with criticism is this:

1. It is hurting my marriage. Often the first thing I share with my husband about a daily experience is how "I couldn't believe so and so was doing such and such". Who cares? HE doesn't want to hear about it.
I am very critical of him which I hate. Every now and then God exposes this facet of my character to me and it makes me cringe.

2. It is hurting my walk with God. I am basically mis-representing God to my non-Christian friends (esentially all of my friends). I think some of them might think "YOU are Christian?". I want my life to be an example for others to follow ultimately bringing them to faith.

Direction, what now?
Help

I'll try to give some thoughts (I am not trying to be harsh, but only trying to make you "knock some sense into your soul" since you said you WANT TO, but can't):

First, whatever God says in the Bible IS the truth. The reason we sometimes don't believe it is becasue we are BLIND and IGNORANT and stupid. So the best advice is to BELIEVE what God says and not to rely on our own understanding of things (Proverbs 3:5)

So here is what God says: that whenever you think that somebody is doing something not quite right, it's often a fact that whatever YOU ARE DOING is MORE not right.

So whenever you are NOT doing right (and believe me, we ALL not do right at certain times) do you want the people to judge you for it? Do you want GOD to judge you for it? He is looking at your cruel heart: how you always critize and do you then go and expect MERCY from HIM? God said: I will be cruel to those who are cruel. Mercy will be shown to those who show mercy. If you don't show mercy (in your thinking), God will start to withhold HIS mercy from you. And what is going to happen then? How many times a day do YOU do something that is not quite right in God's eyes? Do you think God was joking when he said: OR YOU TOO WILL BE JUDGED. Do you want to be judged by God? Look at your soul, compare it to the Bible. You are perfect? If not, there is plenty that God can judge you for.

MAT 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

LUK 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

One lady told me: this guy talks your head off. And guess what: SHE HERSELF was that way. And did she know it? NO! Because she is ignorant and stupid (like most of us). We only THINK we know what's best. We only think we know what that other person should do. But do we really know the circustamcnes or the condition of the person's heart or motivation behind it? How DARE WE JUDGE when we don't know nothing!

Keep track of things you want to critizise others for and COUNT how many times you DID the SAME THING. (I was really amazed when I started to count how many times I did the same thing. And I realized that the Bible was true, that I DID do the same thing for which I judged others).

ROM 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Did you KNOW that each time you judge somebody you are CONDEMING yourself? How I know? The Bible said it. And it's the truth. And if we don't think it's true, that means we are still stupid.

When you critisize others, you think you know what's best. Which is not true. We, as people are very ignorant and very short sighted. Whenever you critize somebody, you are speaking ignorance. God has been giving me wisdom and the more He gives, the more I start to see how BAD of a judges we are. HOW INCORRECTLY we judge others.

You can even judge somebody for not being friendly. But did you know that the only reason you yourself are friendly is because God gave you that gift? Where would YOU be if you did not have that gift? Why do you think everybody should be like YOU? Why do you think everybody should behave LIKE YOU? Are you the MODEL for all to live BY? Are you PERFECT that everybody should do like you do?

People have different ideas of what's good and what's bad, what's acceptable or what's not. Who put YOU in charge of deciding for all humanity the rules to live by? Just because you like to live this way, doesn't mean the others would agree with you. Why should they? They might have their OWN way of living, which is NOT like yours. And it's OK. God gave us all diffferent gifts and different ways of looking at life and different ways of behaving. We cannot expect somebody else to live OUR life, the way WE live or to think the way WE think.

Hopefully, some of it will be helpful. Hopefully you won't get offended. But even if you do, it's ok AS LONG AS IT HELPS YOU. Like Paul wrote in one of his letters, I did not want to make you sad, but if it helped you to get right with God, then I am glad I did it. Sometimes bitter mecidine is necessary to treat that cancer that's within us.

And I don't judge you. I have learned that we all have our own personal things we struggle with. I feel sorry for you. Critisizim is a hard one to struggle with. But God will help you. It says: if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. God has a way of setting us free from the bondage of our sinful nature and sinful character.

God bless you and I hope you will "Get better soon"

With love in Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2009
✟7,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am humbled by your comments and value them. I don't think I can get through this alone. Your words have been like a mirror that reflects my behaviour so I can see it for what it really is. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but a necessary part of the process.

Donb1959 has given me guidance through a verse which states (Pr 3:30) "Do not accuse a man for no reason when he has done no harm to you" This spoke volumes to me. I often criticize people for "annoying" character traits and I am not as close to them as a result. That is my fault. My behaviour is causing distance not theirs. This is really hurting my relationships. Don you were right that "An ill word spoken not out of Love has repurcusions farther than you can possibly imagine." I had no clue that it is me, not them.

I have been doing alot of thinking, journalling, and praying about this. I am working on removing judgements from my everyday thinking, which is a lot. Thank you everyone for your guidance and honest responses.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2009
✟7,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am humbled by your comments and value them. I don't think I can get through this alone. Your words have been like a mirror that reflects my behaviour so I can see it for what it really is. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but a necessary part of the process.

Donb1959 has given me guidance through a verse which states (Pr 3:30) "Do not accuse a man for no reason when he has done no harm to you" This spoke volumes to me. I often criticize people for "annoying" character traits and I am not as close to them as a result. That is my fault. My behaviour is causing distance not theirs. This is really hurting my relationships. Don you were right that "An ill word spoken not out of Love has repurcusions farther than you can possibly imagine." I had no clue that it is me, not them.

I have been doing alot of thinking, journalling, and praying about this to determine the "why". I am working on removing judgements from my everyday thinking, which is a lot. Thank you everyone for your guidance and honest responses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dixiecup

May 2, 2009
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Direction, what now?
Help

Knowing you have this issue is great. When you are feeling critical of someone, STOP, be thankful of all the good you have in your life. You have a husband who loves you, God loves you, and they do it despite your criticalness.

So what if someone does something that is not to your liking, or they did something different than you would have done it. It's their issue.

Gossip is a no no in the Christian life. Building others up, and yourself as well is best.

Blessings!!

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's hard to break a cycle like that, but rest assured all christians have their personal struggles with personality flaws. I get grouchy and irritable too easily and take out stress on loved one sometimes, which is something I'm better at now but it ruins relationships too. I think you're taking the right step by recognizing the flaw, realizing how dreadful it is, telling yourself you don't want it and want to change it, and trying to acknowledge when you start slipping into the old patterns. I wish you the best of luck, it will take time, energy, prayer, but you will get there with perserverance. Don't beat yourself up about it if you slip, because we're all human and we all slip.

Upvote 0

up_to_Him

May 21, 2009
✟7,649.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I deal with the same problem as well. Not sure if it's the same for you as it is for me, but my problem deals with pride and arrogance (I feel like all my problems seem to stem from pride). It helps me when I remember that I am not above everyone else. In fact I am probably worse than them and have no right to be judging anybody. It also helps to realize that everybody has something that they struggle with, for you it is probably criticizing, but for others it is probably what you criticize them about. To each his own. I used to always say to myself, I don't understand how so and so could possibly do such a thing or be a certain way. I would never do that or be like that. Then I realized, there were probably a bunch of people thinking the same exact thing about me and my faults. Not understanding why someone struggles and not struggling with them same things as they do is not an excuse to judge them.

Upvote 0

LauraLu

Aug 5, 2007
North Carolina
✟8,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
If you have time to be critical of someone or a situation, then you have time to pray for it. When I catch myself judging, I stop myself and say a prayer. I take a deep breath, ask the Lord's forgiveness, pray for the situation or person, and then ask God to help me look inward at the reasons why I am being so critical. It's a very practical way to deal with it, and eventually, you will start criticizing less and less.

Have you discussed this problem with your husband and/or asked for his forgiveness? I'm sure it would mean a lot for him, and then he could offer advice and help you as you overcome this critical nature. It could help bring you closer together and bridge this distance that your judgments have caused. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.