Berean1

Sep 2, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
✟15,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Based upon the scripture, do you believe a man who has been divorced (and the divorce was not a result of his spouse cheating on him) should be allowed to preach?

I'm having this debate with a few family members! Please help me with input on this!
You have not stated that this man is having affairs etc. If it is only that he is divorced...there are many reasons for separating or divorce. Many marriages fall apart over finances, verbal fights, unfounded suspicion. I think it is more prudent for the particular church to make sure he is not practicing infidelity. To me... the information, that you have given...is not enough to say, NO...he should not be allowed to preach. I am not really affirming a yes, either.
Some marriage partners can cause separation, just from maliciousness, no sexual promiscuity involved.
I probably lean towards ...yes...unless...wrongdoing can really be proven.
I definitely do not envy the position of the preacher, even if he had grounds for divorce. It seems others have basketed him already. He will probably end up moving on, just from the gossip alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beckyy25
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Traditionally in most Southern Baptist Churchs a divorced person (for any reason) can't even serve as a deacon.

Although this is beginning to change in some congregations for various reasons. Each Baptist church is independantly run by it's own congregation. Some are allowing divorced men to serve as deacons.

IMHO...I don't see an issue with it providing certain attributes are present in the man who is doing the pastoring...and enough information is known about the situation that caused the divorce. The main issue to me concerning a man who wishes to be a pastor is that his personal life not interfere or be an issue with his career. It may be that in your congregation that isn't possible...if you are looking to hire this guy. But if you are looking to join a congregation and the pastor of this congregation is divorced it might be something to consider as one of the factors you use to determine whether or not to join.

Upvote 0