Help christianity is stressing me out

childofaking

Apr 9, 2007
✟17,182.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ok i'll try to be as brief as possible. I have been in a christian family all my life but it is only in the last couple of years that i have really tried to get close to the lord .
My major struggle at the moment i suppose is never really knowing weather i'm doing the right thing, before getting more involved i thourght all christians believed the same thing and that true faith in christ was our route to salvation , but one only has to read some of these forums to see that is not true.
In a couple of weeks i'm being baptised but because it is by sprinkling rather than immersion some would say it does not count they would also say that baptism is essential to salvation therefore i'm still not saved.
Anyway all this is getting to me because like all of you i'm trying to do the right thing in gods eyes, my main thourght at the moment is that the mode of baptism is not realy important but it is what is in a persons heart when they are baptised that counts.
My great disappointment in the church at the moment is its divisions over such matters because i know its not what our lord wanted.
Christian forums can be a frightening place for the new christian because there are a lot of conflicting groups on here with different views and it can be very confusing. When i speak to people in the workplace about our beliefs most have little or no knowledge of christ let alone the hundreds of denominations that seem to have sprung up. The denom i joined is methodist not because i have any special leaning towards that particular theology but i found them to be very welcoming people and they teach from the bible alone.
Anyway all this is getting me down a bit so any helpful words or prayer would be much appreciated:help:.
God bless you all whatever church you belong to:amen:

bunced

Apr 4, 2007
✟5,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Welcome to a fellow Brit :) Where in the UK do you come from?

You're right firstly about Baptism - God is interested in the state of the heart not the actions of the body. Ministers and all the most publically "godly" men who seem to have it all together may find themselves coming second to beggars and criminals who admit they are sinners and need forgiveness.

You're also right about the need for unity. Debate over theological positions can be healthy, but not when it is not conducted in love. And we should always remember that our unity is in the salvation won for us by God and everything else is second fiddle.

I think maybe this Poem may encourage you slightly:

I've been coming here on Sundays for seventy year or so,
'Twas here that I was christened and 'tis here I'll want to go.

Now I know you all gets vexed about changes in belief
Well, frills on top don't matter if you're comfy underneath.
I never lets it bother if I'm High or Low or what,
While I've got me Ten Commandments, I shan't go wrong a lot.

Now I likes old-fashioned prayer book, and they like A5B,
And they can have what pleases them, and I'll read what suits me.
And half the hymns we sing these days I've never heard before,
But I can stand and listen and perhaps I'll learn some more.

All these guitars and instruments - it's no more than they had
Afore they put the organ in when my Grandad was a lad,
And I don't suppose God'll worry; He wouldn't make a fuss,
As long as all the singing's meant for Him and not for us.

We've had clergy coming straight from college, full of summat new,
From incense on the altar to posters in the pew,
And I lets 'em all get on with it, cos all these fashions pass,
And you'll still do the flowers, me dears, and I'll still clean the brass.

I got this seat I always have, no draughts and nice and near,
So I can hear the organ, and see the Vicar clear,
And I tells God what's been happenings and what a week I've had,
And I thanks Him for the good times, and he helps me through the bad.

'Cos all that really matters, as far as I can see,
Is that I, down here, remembers Him, and He remembers me.

Blessings in Christ's name

David

Upvote 0

MrFreshdew

Ask Jesus 4 Help
Oct 10, 2006
~John 3:16~
✟412,752.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
just a few helpful words=
1Peter 3:21 (amplified) And baptism, which is a figure [of their deliverance], does now also save you [from inward questionings and fears], not by the removing of outward body filth [bathing], but by [providing you with] the answer of a good and clear conscience (inward cleanness and peace) before God [because you are demonstrating what you believe to be yours] through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
and heres a scripture 4 peace Isaiah 26:3 :hug:

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Beloved... it is GOOD you are actively seeking God. Very good! Two things... first, don't ever confuse GOD with RELIGION. They are very different enities. Second, I hope you will visit my blog and scroll down to the post on Baptism. I think you'll find it informative and helpfull.

GBY indeed.

His,
Rev J

ps: If you ever just wanna talk... PM me!

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok i'll try to be as brief as possible. I have been in a christian family all my life but it is only in the last couple of years that i have really tried to get close to the lord .
My major struggle at the moment i suppose is never really knowing weather i'm doing the right thing, before getting more involved i thourght all christians believed the same thing and that true faith in christ was our route to salvation , but one only has to read some of these forums to see that is not true.
In a couple of weeks i'm being baptised but because it is by sprinkling rather than immersion some would say it does not count they would also say that baptism is essential to salvation therefore i'm still not saved.
Anyway all this is getting to me because like all of you i'm trying to do the right thing in gods eyes, my main thourght at the moment is that the mode of baptism is not realy important but it is what is in a persons heart when they are baptised that counts.
My great disappointment in the church at the moment is its divisions over such matters because i know its not what our lord wanted.
Christian forums can be a frightening place for the new christian because there are a lot of conflicting groups on here with different views and it can be very confusing. When i speak to people in the workplace about our beliefs most have little or no knowledge of christ let alone the hundreds of denominations that seem to have sprung up. The denom i joined is methodist not because i have any special leaning towards that particular theology but i found them to be very welcoming people and they teach from the bible alone.
Anyway all this is getting me down a bit so any helpful words or prayer would be much appreciated:help:.

MY DEAR BROTHER,

BOY--HAVE YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! The thousands of different Christian denominations are indeed a sorry state of affairs and, i am sure, a great source of pain and disappointment to our Lord.

Remember, however, that in spite of all our differences, we all believe the same basic truths as are spelled out in the Nicene (Apostles') Creed:

The Nicene Creed

We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father [and the Son], who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic (universal) and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

THIS IS THE BASIS OF OUR FELLOWSHIP AS CHRISTIANS, and if the Church you attend is Bible believing and teaches in accordance with the above Creed, then you are where you are supposed to be.

Yes, Christian Forums can be confusing, but just keep the above in mind regarding WHAT IS IMPORTANT. The stuff being discussed and argued about--and i am more guilt about this than most--is, so to say, just frosting on the cake and details which usually have to eternal significance. Just remember what is important and you will do fine.

MUCH LOVE IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

childofaking

Apr 9, 2007
✟17,182.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all your help yes i am in a church that follows the Nicene creed and the bible so i guess in that respect we are all the same . I just get tired with the endless bickering over small details, i dont think our god is that petty and as i said its whats in the heart that matters, isn't this what jesus was trying to say to the pharisees . We are supposed to be examples for christ and i believe that endless arguments over small details sometimes not relevant puts people off christianity all together , its certainly been that way in my experience,
so i pray that we may be more united as christians and forget the differences we can for jesus sake :amen:

Reactions: bunced
Upvote 0

nehalem

Aug 19, 2007
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Childofaking, I know what you mean by small bickering and I hate it as well.

I recommend checking Piper's website , desiringgod.org. He's a Baptist and his sermons are incredibly Bible centric and God glorifying, but even he says that if the only theology you get is from him or other preachers, you're making a big mistake if you don't read the Bible yourself.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Sometimes I feel like this too...I know it's so confusing about all the different denominations! My advice would be to just follow God, not people. I used to stress out a lot because people were telling me what type of Christian I should be. But people don't know everything, God does... If you like the methodist church, try it! Pray about it, and trust God that He would lead you in the right direction. I also believe that He looks at the heart.
I agree that if your church teaches according to the Bible and the Nicene creed, it's fine.
In the end, it's only Christ who saves, not your denomination! The 'right thing' is putting your faith in Him, and living by it. Rely on the Bible for the details, not on people.

God bless

monica

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christianinty shouldn't stress you out...it should set you free.
:amen:
AMEN!

If you find that Christianity is "stressing you out"--either what you are involved in isn't Christian or you are rebelling against what Christ is asking you to do in order to live the life of a true Christian.

Either way, something is seriously wrong, as our Lord promised us:

"PEACE I LEAVE WITH YOU; MY PEACE I GIVE YOU. I DO NOT GIVE TO YOU AS THE WORLD GIVES. DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED AND DO NOT BE AFRAID."
(John 14:27)

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0